MarketPress broken after update

Hi, I have just upgraded to the latest version of MarketPress and now my site is not working properly! All the links to product pages bring up a Page not found Error. Could you please let me know how I can fix this as soon as possible.

• Linda

Hi, I do a database backup every day and a full backup once a week.

Yes, I did update from version 2.9 as when I originally updated to 3.xx when it was first released the upgrade broke the site completley and I was advised to revert back to v2.9 until the bugs where fixed. I have been too afraid to upgrade again after that experience but thought that after all this time the upgrade process would not do the same thing again but I was obviously wrong!

I have no idea what you mean by the "update safe version"? I didn't read anything about an update safe version in the upgrade notes?

The main problem i seem to be having is that a store-2 page has now been added and that is why the links to the category items in the menu are not working.

Any help or suggestions you can offer would be very much appreciated as this is quite a busy site and I need it up and running again as soon as possible.

Cheers
    Linda

• Jude

Hi again Linda

I have no idea what you mean by the "update safe version"? I didn't read anything about an update safe version in the upgrade notes?

Well if you had the latest version of MP 2.xx then no need to worry about this. Some early versions of MP 2 caused glitches when updating.

Hi, I do a database backup every day and a full backup once a week.

Great stuff ! Can you force a DB update by visiting this url please ? Just make sure the backups are in place before proceeding.

example.com/wp-admin/admin.php?page=mp-db-update

Cheers
    Jude

• Linda

Hi Jude, I tried to do the step you advised above but I get the following error. You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page.

Could you please let me know what I can try now?

As I said earlier, the biggest problem I have is that the update has created a second store page (store-2) and all the page links in the menu point to the original store page (store) which is why the links aren't working. Is there a way to make the store page go back to using the original page (store)? I tried changing it back in the Appearance section but when i change the page back to store nothing shows up again and I get the page not found error when trying to view the prodducts. Hope that makes sense.

Cheers
    Linda

• Linda

Hi Jude, I have taken a look at the database and it would seem that there is a rewrite rule that has changed the store url from store to store-2

I really need to get this up and running now and can't wait any longer for a reply so I am going to go through the entire site and change any links to this new URL (store-2). If you get a chance could you please explain why this has happened and what the solutions to it would have been so that if is happens again I know what i need to do.

Thanks
    Linda

• Linda

Hi Jude, I am having more problems with this site after the upgrade than I realised. I thought it was just the store pages that had been messed up but i have since discovered that the images have gone all blurry and that the information for orders that were placed before the upgrade is not showing up when trying to view them. Please, I need help to fix all this as soon as possible as the site is almost unusable as it is. I am so regretting doing this upgrade but I honeslty thought that all the bugs that were caused by upgrading it months ago when I had to revert back to 2.9 would have been sorted by now but boy was I wrong. Could I please please get someone to help me sort this mess out as soon as possible.

Thank You.
    Linda

• Linda

Could some one please help me with this.....this site is in a mess and i need it fixed ASAP! I haven't heard back from anyone since 2:50am this morning and I am desperate to get this mess fixed up.

Can someone at least let me know if I can revert back to v2.9 so the site is at least back to the way it was before I decided to do the dreaded upgrade? I really wish I hadn't tried to go to v3.xx at all but I honestly thought all these upgrade bugs would be fixed by now.

• Jude

Hey Linda ,

Sorry about the delay here, I'd like to look at your DB. Can you please send in

Subject: "Attn: Jude "
    - WordPress super admin/ admin username + password
    - FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    - cPanel details
    - phpMyAdmin details ( To check database )

- link back to this thread for reference

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me :slight_smile:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Cheers
    Jude

• Linda

Hi Jude, the 404's where fixed because I went through all the links that were not working one by one and changed them. It took me hours but I needed to have a site where at least the menus were working before the start of today. The actual owner of the site fixed the image issue but I'm not sure what she did there....I presume she changed the image resolution in the presentation options.

I was unable to run the update (example.com/wp-admin/admin.php?page=mp-db-update) as when I tried it i got an error saying "You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page". That is the reason why I had to go through and change the links manually. Now all the store pages are /store-2/xxxxx which I guess means I am going to get a lot 404 errors but at least the menu and links work properly and people can navigate the site as expected.

What is not working now is
    1. When you first click on an order in the order section to view it's details there is no actual order and no address details but the information about the transaction is there (see attached image) but if you go back to the list of orders, click on the customers name so that the pop up window with their address shows up and then close this window and return to the actual order the address details and the product order then show up. This doesn't seem to happen every time which will make it hard to track down but it is happening often enough the it is quite a concern.

2. If the product that has been ordered is one with variations, the information about which variation option has been chosen by the customer is not showing up on the order detail screen. In other words, you see the product that was ordered but no the variation chosen (hope that makes sense).

3. Some category images are not correct. For example if you look at the image on this page http://www.mialiedesigns.com.au/store-2/products/category/drizabum/ the image displayed is not of the product. When you click through to the actual product detail page the images shown on that page are correct but not the one on the category page. I can not for the life of me even figure where it is getting the image on the category page from. There doesn't seem to be any reference to it on the product page in the back end http://www.mialiedesigns.com.au/wp-admin/post.php?post=388&action=edit there is no mention of an image other than the ones that are in the product variations panel.

I hope that is enough for you to make a start with. Please let me know if you need any further information of if you don't understand what I mean.

Thanks again.
    Linda

• Linda

Hi again Jude, I've just realised that the first product image that is showing up on the main product for this particular product is not the right image for the product and as I said before there is no reference to that image on the product detail page in the backend to that image either so I have no idea where it is getting it from???? http://www.mialiedesigns.com.au/store-2/products/drizabum/

• Linda

Hi Jude, I really need to be able to access the order details as soon as possible, it's hard to fill orders for customers when you don't know what the items they have actually ordered are! If it's going to be a while before the DEV's can get back to me.....is it possible to roll back the install to the 2.9 version that was working perfectly fine before trying this disastrous upgrade?

Thanks
    Linda

• Linda

I've just picked up yet another issue with the site since the upgrade! The site is set up to show the Special Instructions Field but no information that is entered in this field by a customer is being captured. This is a VITAL part of this site as customers need to add specific information about their order (eg pram type and material choice) and with out that information the orders can not be filled.

Could someone PLEASE let me know what is going on with all these issues and if we are any closer to getting a solution???? It's been over 24hrs since I heard anything and 2 days since I first asked for help with these issues caused by an upgrade of one of your plugins.

Is there something else I can do or will my pleas for help just keep getting ignored??

Linda

• Luís

Hi Linda ,

Hope you're doing well today!

Firstly, sorry for the late reply and all the problems it may have caused.

Let me try split this by parts:

1) Regarding to the URLs issue ("store-2" vs "store":wink: it was related to the backup restore. I already removed one of these pages and corrected the URLs.

2) I was able to replicate the issue regarding to the "Special Instructions Field", so, I flagged the developer so they can get it fixed up asap. Either myself or the developer will reply back here once we have pushed a fix out.

3)

If the product that has been ordered is one with variations, the information about which variation option has been chosen by the customer is not showing up on the order detail screen.

This is related to the orders made before the update? Because, I tested it in your install and it's showing the variation.

3) Regarding to the issues with the update, I already flagged the SLS team to investigate further and get their valuable feedback.

Since this team deals with more advanced threads it may take them longer to reply, so, if you are running against the time, I will suggest to revert the update (using the backup file) and create a staging site, so we can try correct the issues without interfering with your live site and customers.

From what I checked, these were the issues that appearing after the update:

3.1) we are not able to check the shipping and billing informations from the orders made before the update;

3.2) Some category images are not correct;

These were the issues that I was able to find in your website, so, please, if I am missing something, please, let me know.

Note: Checking your error_log, it saved some fatal errors related to backupbuddy and due to memory exhausted.

So, please, ask to your host provider to increase the PHP memory limit variable to 512MB.

Cheers, Luís

• Linda

Hi Luis, thank you so much for your reply!!

I'll do the same as you have and split my reply into parts.

1) Regarding to the URLs issue ("store-2" vs "store" it was related to the backup restore. I already removed one of these pages and corrected the URLs.

Thank you for fixing the URL issue, but I never did a backup restore so not sure how that could have caused the issue?

2) I was able to replicate the issue regarding to the "Special Instructions Field", so, I flagged the developer so they can get it fixed up asap. Either myself or the developer will reply back here once we have pushed a fix out.

Thank you, this is an integral part of the ordering system for this site so I need this fixed as soon as possible.

3)

This is related to the orders made before the update? Because, I tested it in your install and it's showing the variation.

Yes, it would appear that the issue is with order placed before the update. I have just taken this screen shot of an older order and it doesn't show the variation.

3) Regarding to the issues with the update, I already flagged the SLS team to investigate further and get their valuable feedback.

Since this team deals with more advanced threads it may take them longer to reply, so, if you are running against the time, I will suggest to revert the update (using the backup file) and create a staging site, so we can try correct the issues without interfering with your live site and customers.

Thanks for the suggestion but after all the issues this has caused I am not going to risk stuffing the site up even more by trying to revert back to 2.9x!! This is the second time I have tried to update this install to 3.xxxx and both times is has caused major issues. I updated to 3.x when it was first released and it broke the site completely (as it did with many peoples sites going by the posts on the forum at that time) so I made the decision back then to revert back to 2.9x and wait till all the bugs where fixed before updating again. That's got to be about a year ago now and I presumed after all that time it would be safe to run the update because all the bugs that where happening at the time when 3.x was originally released surely would have been fixed by now but I was obviously wrong! Anyway, even if I did revert back to 2.9x via a backup, would I then not lose the orders that have come through in the past few days since this whole drama began?

From what I checked, these were the issues that appearing after the update:
    3.1) we are not able to check the shipping and billing informations from the orders made before the update;
    3.2) Some category images are not correct;

The issues that are still ongoing are:
    1) "Special Instructions" information is not working - this is a critical part of the site and needs to be fixed ASAP!

2) not able to see variations on products that were ordered before the update.

3) not able to see order details (including the actual product ordered - see image below) on orders placed before the update. This is an intermittent issue - sometimes you can view the details and at other times you can't. This is what I have discovered about this issue-:
    step 1) click on the order number to view the "edit order" screen - no order or customer details visible (note: the order history and payment information is visible)
    step 2) return to the "Orders" screen and click on the customers name so that the popup window with their billing and shipping information is displayed then close the popup window.
    step 3) Now return to the "edit order" screen for that order and all the details are visible for that order including the actual item ordered and the shipping and billing details but the product variation chosen (if variable product) does not show up.

4) Some category images are not displaying the correct image.

5) Images are blurry (this was fixed at one stage but since the URL was changed back to /store/xx from /store-2/xx the problem has returned.

I think that is all at the moment but if I find any further issues I will let you know.

Cheers
    Linda

• Luís

Hi Linda ,

Hope you're doing well today!

I got the idea that you made a restore, sorry, my fault, I misunderstood the text.

Anyway, even if I did revert back to 2.9x via a backup, would I then not lose the orders that have come through in the past few days since this whole drama began?

Right, restoring the backup, you will loose all the orders made in these days. I suggested it in order to avoid that these issues can affect your site and customers.

Our SLS team needs to deal with the tasks in a chronological order and as this is a complex task, it can take more time than normal.

I already updated the task with all the informations you confirmed and myself or a SLS teammate will reply back asap.

Again, sorry about all the inconvenience.

Cheers, Luís

• Panos

Hi Linda ,

Sorry to hear you are having issues with the upgrade...

Lets have a closer look at them, in a different order though:

A. Product images are blurry. Regarding the images that are blurry I have changed their sizes in Store Settings > Presentation and seem to have cleared out now.

B. The Special Instructions field. This field is visible in the first step of the checkout right under the "Shipping address different than billing?" check-box. I see it is a bit small but it can be fixed with some CSS:

#mp-checkout-column-special-instructions textarea{
    	width:100%;
    	min-height: 150px;
    }

C. Not able to see order details. I believe this happens because some order meta has not been set at the time, but after loading the order it does get set. I need to look deeper into this and it requires some amount of testing so it will take me some time. I notice in these orders if you simply refresh the page you can see the order's information, so no need to first load the customer billing info popup :slight_smile:

D. The variation in the order. I am afraid for this I will require I copy of the database before the upgrade. This part of information was stored in the order's content as a serialized on version 2.9. This has changed and seems that the safe update didn't handle this correctly. I believe that if you send me this database table I could extract it and import it in the orders in your new database.

You can send that privately through our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select "I have a different question?" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Send in:Subject: "Attn: Panos Lyrakis"

Please do not forget to include a link back to this thread so I know what it is about.

Thanks!
    Panos

• Linda

Hi Panos, thank you so much for your reply! I will respond to your questions one by one.

A. thank you so much for fixing the images!

B. Yes, I know that the Special Instructions field is visible on the checkout page but, when people are leaving instructions, they are not showing up on the order in the back end. I thought at firs that maybe people where not filling in the field so I emailed them and all but one said they had filled the field in but it doesn't show up on the order in the back end.
    Thanks for the CSS to make it appear larger, I will apply that as soon as possible.

C. Thanks for letting me know about the refresh...that little tip will come in handy! I look forward to getting issue fixed soon.

D. I just tried to send you the database backup via the contact form but there doesn't seem to be a way to upload the file. Can I email it to you and if so, to what address should I email it to?

I accidentally send you a message via the contact form without the database info you requested so please just ignore it....sorry about that!

I am very much looking forward to getting all this fixed up as soon as possible so if you need any further information please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers
    Linda

• Panos

Hi Linda,

So true, I didn't notice the admin for the Special Instructions, sorry.

I can provide a quick fix for this just want to clear one detail. That field is not the Order Notes field you see in the admin order page. There will be a new field at the Shipping and Billing columns, so it will be presented twice. Not the best solution, but you will have this information available. Once done with other issues I will try make it display only once.

So I have attached file wp-content/plugins/marketpress/includes/public/class-mp-checkout.php which you can downlaod, unzip and replace. After replacing you can do some tests and check these fields.

As for the db tables I should have been more clear. You can upload the file(s) somewhere on your server or Google Drive or Dropbox etc and provide the download link by replaying at the previous email (or sent a new one, which ever s more convenient to you).

Thanks!
    Panos

• Panos

Hi Linda,

Glad that worked for you :slight_smile:

Now is the tricky part, the steps are simple but the process quite complex so you should take a backup of your database in case things go wrong. You can use our Snapshot plugin and keep db backups. Then follow the steps mentioned bellow. If you notice something wrong you can restore your previous snapshot.

I have tested it in two of my sites and seems to be working correctly, but we need to be extra careful on this :slight_smile:

Let me explain you what will follow. I have already exported a csv file based on the db you provided in previous message which contains some information regarding the orders.

This information will be now imported for each order that exists on the csv file, so the variable name to be included in some meta data field of the order.

Please download and activate the plugin attached here. The csv file is bundled in the plugin.

Once you activate it please visit you admin dashboard (http://yoursite.com/wp-admin/index.php) and add the "?wpmudev_mp_vars_fix=yes" query string ( http://yoursite.com/wp-admin/index.php?wpmudev_mp_vars_fix=yes )

Please visit that page only once. After the page has loaded please go to plugins page and deactivate the plugin, as it does not check if info has already been imported, so deactivate plugin in order not to import twice (or more).

Then visit one of the orders page that didn't have variable titles and check if they display now.

Please let me know if this has worked for you :slight_smile:

Thanks!
    Panos

• Linda

Hi Panos, thanks for the reply but I must tell you, the thought of doing this is making me a little nervous after all the trouble I have had after the last update. I have just done a snapshot of the site as per your advice but just want make sure that you can assure me that if things go wrong I can just use the restore option for this snap shot and things will be returned the way they were before running fix above? The site isn't perfect at the moment but it is better than it was a few days ago and I don't want to risk losing order details again.

Cheers
    Linda

• Panos

Hi Linda ,

I think I was exaggerating a bit in my previous reply... Sorry for that :slight_smile:

What the plugin attached will do is add an extra meta field which is missing, so in worst scenario the variable names will not show up. It doesn't replace/remove anything so it won't break you site.

In case you see no difference after following steps above, you should still restore your snapshot.

Thanks!
    Panos

• Linda

I'm not sure if this is going to confuse the issue or not but here is an example of what is still not showing up on a lot of the orders that were placed previous to the upgrade. NOTE - some older orders do have this information available but most of them don't.
    This image shows that in the database the variation information is definitely there.
    But this image shows that in the information for this particular order (id number 7963) the variation is not shown.
    The really weird thing is that, on exploring the CSV file that you sent through I can't even find an order with an ID of 7963. I'm not sure if that means anything and like I said, it probably just confused the issue more but I thought it was worth showing you.

Please let me know what else can be done to fix this up as soon as possible.
    Thanks again for your help.
    Cheers
    Linda

• Panos

Hi Linda,

Probably my export had a limit and didn't select all the orders. Could you explore the csv file and chose 3-4 order ids in the file and then check on your admin? You can add the order id directly in your browser address bar instead of searching (http://yoursite.com/wp-admin/post.php?post=1301&action=edit -- replace 1301 with your order id).

If these orders do have the variation titles then the solution would be to re-export the orders.

Looking forward to your reply!
    Panos

• Linda

Hi Panos, some of the orders do have the variations and some of them don't.
    Some of the information on the CSV file doesn't appear complete. For example, on line 58 of the CSV file the order number is 7987 and the item id is 309. There is no other information on this line at all but when I looked at the actual order in admin the product ordered should have a variation and when I look at that order number in the database the variation information is there.

Hope that helps you to work out why the variations are still not showing up?
    Cheers
    Linda

• Panos

Hi Linda ,

Thanks for providing these ids :slight_smile:

It seemed that there was some error in serialized content (serialized counting characters error)-probably due to some spaces or special characters, so I went through them once more correcting this information.

I would appreciate if you could verify that you can see the variation title now!

I will then go on try to find out what is causing the refresh issue.

Thanks!
    Panos

• Panos

Hi Linda ,

Good to know the variable issue has been finally fixed :slight_smile:

I have been looking for a solution regarding the refresh issue. It seems that

$cart  = $order->get_meta( 'mp_cart_items' );

for some unknown reason some time returns empty results. This happens only for orders made with previous version of MP.

Although I couldn't find what's causing this I have applied a workaround on your site which auto-refreshes the page when it's empty.

More specifically I have created a mu-plugins folder (wp-content/mu-plugins) and inserted a file (wpmudev-refresh-order-page-if-no-items.php ) with the following snipped:

<?php

add_action( 'mp_cart/no_items_message', 'wpmudev_refresh_orders_page_no_items_message', 10, 1);

function wpmudev_refresh_orders_page_no_items_message( $message ){

if( !is_admin() ) return $message;

return '<script type="text/javascript">
    			location.reload();
    			</script>';

}
    ?>

I think this should be working :slight_smile:

Could you please go through some orders and let me know what you think of it?

Thanks!
    Panos

• Panos

Hi Linda ,

Really happy it works for you :slight_smile:

This doesn't affect anything actually. It hooks in an action which is triggered only if in a specific stage there are no order items. This state is in the admin order pages, where it should always have items (or else there shouldn't be an order in the first place).

If you ever wish to deactivate it can't be deactivated as normal plugins, you need to remove/delete file wp-content/mu-plugins/wpmudev-refresh-order-page-if-no-items.php

Thanks!
    Panos

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.