Marketpress categories and subcategories

Why does marketpress not support multiple heirarchies?

If I want to dvide the shop in to three basic types and and have similar sub categories underneath them, the plugin does not support it.

eg.

The product url of a product category Category 1 > sub-category is

xxx.com/shop/products/category/sub-category

It should be

xxx.com/shop/products/category/Category 1/sub-category

The product url of a product category Category 2 > sub-category is the same as if in Category 1

xxx.com/shop/products/category/sub-category

Why are the parent categories removed?

• Race Media
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Anyone know how to get around this?

Was trying to get the URL group permission thing from the membership plugin to work but because of the Marketpress URL structure I don’t think it will.

I know it’s the weekend but I would like to get this project going and can’t move at all until I solve this.

Starting to think I’ll have to use magento instead, but really wanted to keep it on wordpress.

• Race Media

I actually fixed this by adding the right rewrite rules to the register_taxonomy on line 618 of marketpress.php

Just after $settings['slugs']['category']

add

, 'with_front' => true, 'hierarchical' => true

and now the proper hierachial links work.

This really should be added as a feature option.

• Race Media

Unfortunately that’s not how taxonomies work in WordPress. Taxonomies can only have one base slug, the hierarchy is not reflected in the url structure, only in category lists.

Seriously! Thats the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. Why create custom_post_types then make them behave so differently to normal posts which alway have the ability to have parent categories in the url permalink?

Are you sure it is not some of the plugins own rewrite rules which are blocking me from showing the product categories in the url?

• Race Media

Baah – wasted enough time on this.

Clearly this plugin will not work properly if you have two different products in different categories but with the same name due to the wordpress restrictions on permalinks.

Clearly it will not work with the membership plugin with based on url groups unless you want to laboriously add each and every product url.

Sad to say but I see no other option but to head over to magento.

• wecreateyou
    • The Crimson Coder

This is a pretty big deal for me. I’m interested in hearing from some Marketpress users on whether or not this has been a big a deal in a real world application. I’d hate to roll this out only to find that plenty of people would actually need this functionality.

Thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.