Marketpress Categorizing Products Help

Having trouble getting a page to sort the way a client wants to within MarketPress.
The way this is setup is by model, then a category for specific parts. What he wants is to show all the parts categories on one page with headings, sorted like this:
http://knkcycles.com/suzukiGT750.html

Here is what I get in MarketPress:

http://www.knkcycles.com/shop/store/products/category/suzuki/
http://www.knkcycles.com/shop/store/products/category/suzuki-gt750/
http://www.knkcycles.com/shop/store/products/category/oem-parts-air-and-intake-s-gt750/

any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

• DavidM

Hi knkcycles and first off, welcome to WPMU DEV!

I'm not quite sure what it is you're after exactly here so please feel free to correct any misunderstanding. Did you want a menu at the top of the category pages like the html version?

If so, probably the best way would be to create an mp_category.php template file, as per the instructions in marketpress-includes/themes/Themeing_MarketPress.txt and also considering the template hierarchy in WordPress.

Given that, you could include a specific menu at the top of the category listings.

-David

• knkcycles

Hi David,
    Thanks for your reply. That's not quite what I meant. What I have is several subcategories,and they need to be listed out and sorted when you select the parent category, all on one long page. Each set of items would have a header above the set with the title of that category. Much like you see here:

http://knkcycles.com/suzukiGT750.html

The way MarketPress seems to sort things is kind of random and it doesn't put any title above the items from the subcategories. So if I have a model for the motorcycle, then several subcategories of parts, it just lists them all without sorting. Hope that sounds a bit clearer. Thanks again for the help.

• DavidM

Thanks for that clarification, I see what you mean now. As it stands, MarketPress simply displays all items, regardless of category, in order from the most recently posted items to the oldest.

To keep things simple,what you could do is use the [mp_list_products] shortcode with the category parameter. Basically, you could create a page, called products-by-category for example, and in that page you could use the shortcode like so:

OEM Cables
    [mp_list_products category="oem-cables"]
    Suzuki GT 750 LeMans Decals
    [mp_list_products category="suzuki-gt-750"]

Other than that though, it would require a fair amount of customization of the template file I mentioned above, mp_category.php.

I believe what you'll want to do is loop through all your categories, and create a small loop within each of them, to display the products belonging to them.

It'll take some php coding using the WordPress loop, something you might want to seek a developer's assistance with if you're not comfortable with php. But that shortcode method might just work. Care to give that a try?

-David

• Timothy Bowers

Hey knkcycles.

Would using the shortcodes not work for you?

If its a single install then there are shortcodes here:

wp-admin/edit.php?post_type=product&page=marketpress&tab=shortcodes

Admin --> Products --> Settings --> Shortcodes.

Then something like (as an example, tyres):

[mp_list_products paginate="true" page="1" per_page="10" order_by="price" order="DESC" category="tyres"]

And then (helmets as example):

[mp_list_products paginate="true" page="1" per_page="10" order_by="price" order="DESC" category="helmets"]

You could pop these into a page through the editor like so:

Our Range of Tyres:

[mp_list_products paginate="true" page="1" per_page="10" order_by="price" order="DESC" category="tyres"]

Our Range of Helmets:

[mp_list_products paginate="true" page="1" per_page="10" order_by="price" order="DESC" category="helmets"]

You could use the WP TinyMCE formatting like bold, italic, etc, etc.

Would that work for you?

• Timothy Bowers

Hey Catrina

This may seem like a silly question, but I ran across this in another post today too.
    Where are mp_ .php files located.

All plugin files reside within the plugin folder and sub folders.

I'd also like to read this marketpress-includes/themes/Themeing_MarketPress.txt that David recomended to me twice not. Please tell me where I can find that too.

Thats located in the folder you pointed out:

marketpress-includes/themes/Themeing_MarketPress.txt

That folder resides in the plugin folder, so for a full path:

marketpress/marketpress-includes/themes/Themeing_MarketPress.txt

Take care.

• Catrina

Also forgot to mention to knkcycles; you can check out my site. I made an attempt to catagorize things better using pages rather than messing with code- http://www.catrinasgarden.com.
    I wanted my products in catagories like plants; art; gormet foods and things like that, but I also have lots of different artists and people who make these things for me so I wanted to also cross reffrence all the products by just that persons products. I did this by creating a static page for each "friend" where they could list their products and link to both the product and category pages.
    I'm also using a lot of tags.
    It's still not ideal, but it seems to be working. We'll see if it is still working when the product numbers really start to increase.
    Cathy

• DavidM

Hi Catrina,

As Tim mentioned, you'll find that instructional file in the plugin folder. As for the mp_ files, those actually don't exist until you create them in your theme's folder.

Basically, you just make copies of existing files and rename them according to what you're trying to achieve, and then customize them.

For example, you could make a copy of your theme's single.php file, which is used for displaying single posts, then rename it mp_product.php, and customize that file to display single products exactly the way you want them.

If those files don't exist, MarketPress uses your standard theme template files to display all these things, which generally works just fine. But for further customization, creating these files is the best route to go.

-David

• Catrina

Hi,
    I was exploring this topic a little yesterday. I did find the .txt file and it was very helpful. I figured out custom page template also thank you. I'm using it to creat a "blank" page for a supersized photo album that I'm working on, but I still have a lot of work to do on that. I will also be using it to make more custom category pages.

I have been working mainly with marketpress so far but yesterday I took some time to explore some of your other plugins. Nice stuff guys!

I came across a plug in called custom press and I'm wondering if this program could be used to help here? I'm not sure if it could be used to help knkcycles or not, but I am invisioning this for my site:
    I want to refrence my products in 2 ways by product category/subcategory (marketpress works fine for this) and also by the person who created the product (not all products on my site will be my own products). Could custom press be used to do this? if so please point me in the right direction to get started on this.

Then I come to the larger problem of easily paying and getting paid. I checked out buddy press and multi site to see if that would work for me since I will eventually be having multiple small growers and artists selling on my site. The problem is that I don't forsee most of these people becoming "users" some of them don't even own computers, so I need something that I can do for them - easily. I want to list their products and then have payment go directly to them but automatically take out a percentage for me (if possible withouth having paypal charge us twice - right now I get paid and then I have to pay paypal again when I transfer funds to them). Any ideas if there is a plug in for this or how to approch this problem?

Thanks,
    Catrina