Marketpress - Default Product Category View in Upfront

Hello!

So the Default view for Product Categories is based on the Default view for Post Categories, and Upfront / Spirit interprets a Product Category View, as a blog post view.

It shows the featured image, with the description, and then offers a Read More tag.

How can i change this default layout to showing a grid view - like the product listing - but only of relevant items in that category?

Thanks for your help.

The Site in question is easterntemptations.co.za, and i have enabled the WPMUDEV Special Back-end Fidget Option. :smiley: (Remote support) if you wanted to go fidget in the back-end.

PS: - this is also a cool display - the pic, with the amounts / price showing... instead of just the "post"
http://easterntemptations.co.za/store/products/chana-flourchickpea-flour/

• Patrick

Hi there @Symi

I hope you're having a great day!

Currently, the only way to adjust such layouts is by adding your own custom CSS to the CSS editor in Upfront.

The next major update to Upfront should include a more advanced layout editor for custom post-types (single & archive views), and there is a MarketPress -specific Upfront theme in the works.

If you need a bit of help with CSS needed to adjust your category layouts to get a better-fitting grid layout, just let us know, and we'll see what we can whip for you!

• Symi

hehe - i CAN NOT WAIT for the upfront / marketpress integration. Whoohoo!
    please feed them developers big buckets of coffee, with caffeine.

:slight_smile:

so i have just 3 concerns.
    1 - my shopping cart widget, shows up - as per setting, only on shopping pages.
    however, when you go to the product list, it doesn't display it.
    and when you go click into a category of products, it also doesn't display it.
    it thinks it's checking out a blog. not a shopping related page.

2 - on the category view, it has the breadcrumbs showing as home / blog.
    which is a bit much.

3 - it lastly - shows READ MORE instead of whatever else it is we wanted people to click when going from the category view into the actual product to check it out.

what would be easier, is if you click on a product with multiple options, to then simply have the dropdown load where it is, instead of clicking through to the product listing on its own screen.

which makes me think that i have to change the actual .php file that manages that view?
    with a shortcode?

am i on the right track here?

:slight_smile:

is there documentation on fidgeting with the various views?
    before i start building a time machine with 2 screwdrivers and a cosmopolitan?

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @Symi,

Thank you for your reply.

1 - my shopping cart widget, shows up - as per setting, only on shopping pages.
    however, when you go to the product list, it doesn't display it.
    and when you go click into a category of products, it also doesn't display it.
    it thinks it's checking out a blog. not a shopping related page.

I can see the shopping cart widget at the top of the single product page.

Have you tried adding it on product listing and category pages separately in upfront edit mode?

2 - on the category view, it has the breadcrumbs showing as home / blog.
    which is a bit much.

I could confirm this on my test site and it's also displaying home / blog for default post categories so i have notified the upfront theme developer to get his valuable reply regarding this.

He will reply here ASAP.

3 - it lastly - shows READ MORE instead of whatever else it is we wanted people to click when going from the category view into the actual product to check it out.

You can change it by using the attached small plugin containing the following code. In the plugin code you can change the text "Custom Read More" to whatever you want to use.

function add_custom_support_scripts(){
    	if(is_tax('product_category')){
    	?>
    	<script type="text/javascript">
    		jQuery(document).ready(function(){
    			jQuery(".uposts-part.read_more a").text("Custom Read More");
    		});

</script>
    <?php
    	}
    }
    add_action('wp_footer', 'add_custom_support_scripts');

what would be easier, is if you click on a product with multiple options, to then simply have the dropdown load where it is, instead of clicking through to the product listing on its own screen.

which makes me think that i have to change the actual .php file that manages that view?
    with a shortcode?

Do you want to display options drop down on the product listings page for the products having variations?

is there documentation on fidgeting with the various views?
    before i start building a time machine with 2 screwdrivers and a cosmopolitan?

You will find documentation about MarketPress and upfront themes on the following pages.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/e-commerce/#product-usage

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Upfront_guide.pdf
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/tag/upfront

Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Symi

Dear Vinod - you BISCUIT! The quick plugin works like an Aspirin!

I'm customizing the category view and product view manually.
    the ( posts / products in category view) display showing the author, the date, and they're in a whole different colour. Where do I go fidget to take those out, and to change the colour? UPfront won't touch the actual dynamic content. So I'm a bit stuck with that detail.

But then we're 2/3 way there. :smiley:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.