MarketPress - digital downloads, price per licence?

Hi there,

My client will be selling digital courses. The user will need to choose how many 'licences' they need.

The cost of the digital download will depend on the number of licences they choose (there is only one digital download).

Morever there is a quantity discount structure also:

1 - 5 licences will cost £40 per licence (e..g 5 licences will cost £200)
6 - 10 licences will cost £30 per licence (e.g. 10 licences will cost £300)
11+ licences will cost £20 per licence (e..g 20 licences will cost £400)

Is this something MarketPress can do? If not, is there some workaround to this?

Many thanks

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello there @drijen and welcome to the WPMUDEV Community!

The cost of the digital download will depend on the number of licences they choose (there is only one digital download).

I'm afraid that no, there's currently no way to make this work with MarketPress.
    Quantity discounts are not supported out of the box and you would need to custom-code this.
    There are plans to add this on the next major rewrite of MarketPress, but that's probably going to be in a few months.

A workaround would be to create 3 different products with different prices and have them be "bulk" licences.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• aristath
    • Recruit

Can we have quantities with digital products?
    Yes, you can!

If you from your dashboard to Products => Store Settings and scroll down to the "miscellaneous" section, you 'll see a setting called "Limit Digital Products Per-order" (see attached screenshot).

You can change the default setting from there.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• drijen
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi there,

Sorry I didn't mean limiting downloads per order.

I meant allowing the customer to choose quantity when they purchase. And then charging them qty x price for the same digital download.

I need it as we offer product licensing. So user that needs 3 licences needs to pay more.

• be
    • WP Core Meltdown

HI @drijen
    The only "workaround" for this at the moment (there are LOTS of us waiting on this one)
    is to come up with a "variation" listing that works for your case
    Variation 1 = up to 5 licences = price per EACH
    Variation 2 = 10 - 15 licences = price per EACH

etc.
    It is not ideal but at the moment about the only way you will get proper pricing without making folks go back and forth etc..

Best of luck :slight_smile:

• be
    • WP Core Meltdown

Hi @drijen

We use as a workaround so use the qty as a license..
    ie Variation 1
    Customer wants 3 licenses - they actually at this point buy 3 downloads if that makes sense.

It is definitely not the preferred method but a workaround till they get to it..

• be
    • WP Core Meltdown

Hi @aristath
    Maybe you could check with Jonathon because we are all getting mixed messages about what is making it into MP3
    see here.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/tiered-dicounts-ie-buy-3-get-25-off
    Jonathon says probably no.. for MP3

also just confirming @drijen
    With digitals it used to be restricted to one item but you can turn that off in MP 2.9 verison
    Store settings > General > Limit download Qty..
    Yes it is not what we are all wanting for licensing but it does allow a workaround for the moment..

Note IF downloadables could access variations now it would be another workaround..

Either way we all have to find manual and not very user friendly ways round..

• aristath
    • Recruit

@be I'm not as well-informed as Jonathan is... after all he's the developer.
    I saw a list of feature requests that were in the TODO list for MarketPress 3.0, but after that I don't know which of them will make it in.
    If Jonathan is not sure that this will make it in 3.0 then surely I can't be either!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• be
    • WP Core Meltdown

If Jonathan is not sure that this will make it in 3.0 then surely I can't be either!

This feature is scheduled for MarketPress 3.0
    I have no ETA for it, but it will be added. :slight_smile:

That is the point..
    Some of you say yes some of you say no..
    meanwhile we - the folks that have waited for it do not know wether to wait or simply move to an ecommerce solution that provides what we need.
    :slight_smile:

• RavanH
    • The Crimson Coder

Selling licences or tickets would not be difficult if it was not for one bug:

When we have the option "Limit Digital Products Per-order" set to "No" we still cannot add more than one similar download to the shopping cart. When hitting the Add To Cart button a second time the message "Sorry, there is a per order limit of 1 for..." comes up and the quantity on the checkout page cannot be changed either.

Of course, this is not ideal because it will not generate any unique ID for each ticket or licence but at least it would be a start :slight_smile:

• be
    • WP Core Meltdown

Except that there are NO variations on downloads so its irrelevant that you can eventually after bug fix order more than one..
    So they can just order 5 of the same thing with no different pricing or options or as you note license ..

Those of us who have been asking for so long know that the wait can be extremely long and if your business is depending on it then you might need to consider ..

• Jonathan
    • The Bug Hunter

Hey @be,

Yes, I know, the variations functionality has been requested for a long time. As stated in other threads, we've currently got this in the works in MarketPress 3.0. Yes, it's going to be awhile, but it will be WELL worth the wait. Pinky swear. :slight_smile:

• be
    • WP Core Meltdown

:slight_smile: thanks Jonathan
    Unfortunatly those of us who have been waiting a while have already heard that more than once.
    We ALL expected it in 2.9 :slight_smile:
    When your BUSINESS depends on it you just cannot wait the extraordinary timeline the "super fast" lightning WPMUdev provides..

No business could survive..
    Also can you let me know if you are you working on this bug???
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/further-to-recent-shipping-issues

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.