MarketPress - Digital Files cannot be found to download

I am in the process of (hopefully) migrating my online store from Cart66 to MarketPress. This is my dev site to test. I have created some sample products and enabled Stripe in Test mode. I sell large digital files (videos, animations, etc.). They are too large to upload via the frontend. I have FTP'd them all to a directory on my server. I read another post on the forums that said you could use a plugin called Add From Server to add large files so that WordPress/MarketPress can "see" them. I've done that.

But when I do a test checkout as a customer, the whole checkout process works fine, until I get to the link to download my digital file. Then, I get an error message saying the file cannot be found.

I am sure this is simple user error on my part with a configuration somewhere. What am I doing wrong? I have granted support access. The sample product to try is called Black History Month 1 Video.

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Jon,

I checked path to file in that product and path was wrong - it was showing 404 error. It looks like you first add path to file you manually uploaded and then used that plugin so files would show up in Media Library - and that plugin actually moved file to right directory in uploads. So old path was invalid - I selected that file again from media library so now download link should work for you.
    (path in media library to file is correct).
    If you have more products like that one, you will have to update paths for them also.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Jon

I am sorry, but this still does not work.
    I followed your steps exactly for another product - a PowerPoint file. It works just fine. I can checkout, pay, and download.
    But the video file referenced in my original message still does not download. I can provide you with credentials so you can try to "purchase" the file as a customer while I have Stripe in test mode if you'd like.
    I have tried deleting and re-adding the video product multiple times.

The video file is 120MB. The PPT file is 705KB. That's the only difference I can see between the two products. Is there a file size limitation for downloads using this plugin? The main thing I see are videos and animations so large files are critical to what I sell.

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Jon,

I can see issue now - its not 404 error like in your original message but browser is returning "ERR_INVALID_RESPONSE" error. This is something different - it means path for file is correct but there is another issue preventing file from downloading.

It is possible that server has problem with processing file so big - lets try with increasing memory limits https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/increase-memory-limit/
    Your current limits can be found in WPMU DEV -> Support -> System Info.

Let me know how it goes.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Jon

Ok I tried every method for increasing the memory limits on the link you provided and it still does not work.

I should mention I am selling these exact same digital files now on the same server using a different e-Commerce plugin (Cart66) without issue. I've set up this mirror site as part of my plan to migrate to MarketPress - assuming we can resolve this issue. My operational site has less memory limit (256M) than this dev site (512M), but it handles these downloads with ease.

I appreciate your help.

• Nithin

Hi Jon,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

I tested this in your system, and I could see the issue, to have a better idea regarding why this is happening, would recommend you to enable debug mode.

Is that a possible solution? I sell mainly to churches so I am not as concerned about people trying to download my content without paying. My customers tend to be very honest.

Yes, this option can help if you are having issues with downloading large files. What the option does is provide the full download URL, so that the user will be able to download the files. Once you enable it, the feature will get implemented automatically while you download the product, so there isn't any extra steps to make it work.

Once the Use Alternative Download Method. option is enabled, I purchased the product, and now I was able to download the video. So it seems to work fine now. :slight_smile:

If you are looking to make it work without Use Alternative Download Method. option enabled, then as mentioned above to enable debug mode, open your wp-config.php file located in your root directory, and look for define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);. Change it to:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

In order to enable the error logging to a file on the server you need to add:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

After making the above changes, please try make a new purchase. The related errors will be saved to a debug.log log file inside the /wp-content/ directory.

Please attach these in your next reply in txt format file, so that we could give a closer look. You can find more details about debugging here.

Please do note you'll only have to enable debug mode, if you still want to make it work with Use Alternative Download Method? option disabled. If you are content with making it work with "Use Alternative Download Method." option enabled, you can ignore the debug part mentioned here.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you still need any further assistance. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Jon

Thank you. I think the Alternative Method is fine for me. Like I said, my customers are almost all churches and they are very honest customers.

I just tried this and it seems to work just fine. I appreciate your help. I LOVE the checkout flow of MarketPress. It is much cleaner and easier for customers than Cart66. I cannot wait to finish up my work so I can launch this into production. I will mark this as resolved.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.