[MarketPress eCommerce] Cannot set tax rate by customer location MarketPress

I have seen it's possible to add different tax rates depending on customer location but I cannot find it anywhere in the settings. When the page loads I do see other fields appear but disappear - very frustrating! What am I doing/have I done wrong?

In particular, I need to set rates for the EU to comply with the VAT MOSS rules, but charge no VAT on other countries (for the time being..). I have done this before, but I can't remember how (apart from one time using the Taxamo platform with Membership Pro, but I found a way to manually set rates and save a hefty annual fee..maybe that was with WooCommerce..?).

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Arthur,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

In MarketPress you can only set a base tax amount (percentage or a fix amount) and then this can additionally be changed "per product". However, it doesn't relate/calculate it based on the location, I'm afraid.

The only "per location/country" setting is a shipping configuration but that's a shipping cost (and its calculation rather than tax).

A "crude" workaround could be to create product as a product with variations, where variation names would be your locations and per each variation there can be "Charge Taxes (Special Rate)" option set - so a rate could be different.

The downside of this approach is that it would actually entirely rely on a trust to the customer and an assumption that customer would select proper variation when adding a product to a shopping cart.

An "ultimate solution" would require custom coding so if you need it urgently, you might want to consider hiring a developer. You may want to ask for custom development at our "Jobs & Pros" job board here (please note: no WPMU DEV staff involved!):

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

I have also moved this thread to our "Features & Feedback" forum as a feature request so other Members of our Community could vote for it and if so, our developers might include that in one of the future releases of the plugin.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Arthur

Hi Adam,

I thought that MarketPress included this, though I've seen some old threads from 2011 in which CTO Aaron said he had never heard of that requirement before and insinuating that it was not an issue. These days tax rules have changed and especially within the EU (though they are trying to change the arrangements between the US and the EU too), thanks to the shenanigans of Apple et al on digital products ALL businesses, including my tiny one, are legally obliged to charge tax at the rate of the purchaser's home country - not the supplier (to stop big US companies basing themselves in low VAT countries).

Anyway, rant over! The point is this is an increasing requirement and WooCommerce and others allow it. I just wonder if MarketPress is really still in active development. What with Woo charging for a myriad extensions, that would be a shame, so as long-standing WPMU Dev members (and fans!) I hope we can have that functionality soon!

For now, I guess I will have to use another plugin, either WooCommerce or Easy Digital Downloads, which does allow you to manually add country tax rates. A bit long-winded, but simple.

Thanks for your detailed response.

Cheers,
    Arthur

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.