[MarketPress eCommerce] MarketPress Multisite retail/reseller network

I'm looking to set up a multisite network. Some sites will be "vendors" - these could have MarketPress products, a Membership, or CoursePress product for sale.
Other sites on the network will be "resellers" set up through Pro Sites where the owner of the site can resell Vendor products to their members (end users will have Memberships of a reseller's site).
Is it possible using WPMUdev plugins or others, to set up this sort of network? A vendor can sell products directly through their Vendor site. Through some mechanism (tracking or otherwise) the vendor would keep say 80% of their sale price, and we would keep 20%. The more complex bit is if a reseller's end-user buys a vendor's product, the reseller gets 20%, we get 20%, the vendor gets 60% (example numbers).
We'd also have a global store selling the whole catalogue of products from all the vendors. Could this be achieved using MarketPress? Perhaps every single product would be in a global store, and a reseller's own version of a store would link to that using affiliate links to give them their commission.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Techtomic

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

With MarketPress (Pro Sites/Membership 2 Pro plugins could be added to the "equation" of course) you could setup a "multi-vendor" platform. You'd need MarketPress to be network-enabled and that's pretty much it. However, there's a "quirk":

In MarketPress global settings in Network Admin you can enable global cart. That would mean that while all the vendors can actually run their own stores, use their own payment gateways' accounts (to get payments directly) etc, you would be able to create a central "shopping hub" - one card and one checkout regardless from which store products come. It won't let you charge a fee for all purchases, though.

On the other hand, with global cart disabled, you can use PayPal Chained payments, which would actually let you take a percentage of all sales (e.g. 20% for you, 80% goes to vendor) and that would be automatically handled by MarketPress + PayPal.

So, that means the choice - either global cart or charging a fee. A "workaround" here could be to quit on "global cart" (one cart, one checkout) but only built a sort of "global product catalog" where each product listing would actually lead to the specific product on a vendor's sub-site.

That's, however, only a part of the setup and adding "resellers" here makes it much more complex. I'm afraid MarketPress and other plugins of ours won't handle that scenario. That would require some additional (and I think quite serious) custom development to "tie it all together" (in case you needed assistance with custom development, please consider posting a job request on our job board here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/; please note - no WPMU DEV staff involved there).

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hi Techtomic

I'm afraid Affliiates plugin won't help here as it currently doesn't work with MarketPress. We've got that "on the list" but I'm not able to provide any more details/ETA I'm afraid :slight_frown:

However, most probably it would be possible to implement some sort of such system with a bit of custom development. Apart from additional data, products are based on custom post type "product" so it should reasonably easy to handle reading them with custom code (there are also some hooks built-in into the plugin) and it would also be possible to make WP read some additional URL attribute (as Affiliate plugin does this) to identify referring user. So basically, "affiliate sort of plugin" might actually work though at this point it would have to be either custom developed from scratch or some custom development based on our Affiliates plugin would have to be made.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Techtomic

Hi Adam, that's strange as the plugin page for Affiliates says it works with Marketpress and shows a Marketpress plugin and screenshot. I can see other support threads showing it being network activated to be managed by the network super admins which sounds good, and the option to track by referal url automatically sounds like it would make the process somewhat automated for subsite (subdomain) admins to be the affiliates. Has it broken recently or am I missing something? Thanks!

• Adam Czajczyk

Hi Techtomic

Actually, I was wrong and I'm sorry for that. The point is that the integration was there and it was broken. My mistake is that somehow I missed the fact that it was fixed and I didn't check the status of the report. I admit I'm quite ashamed about it and I apologize for misleading information.

So, the bottom line is that you're right and your idea is in fact quite good. Your while your vendors would run their own stores, your resellers could simply be affiliates. There'd still be a need to find a way to let them run a product "catalog" instead of stores where the link to the product would be an affiliate link - so that would probably need some custom development anyway but it should be easier. In fact, it would probably be fully doable on a theme (custom template files) level.

Best regards,
      Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.