[MarketPress eCommerce] Product Kind: Service

I would like to add the Product kind: Service, as I would be providing a service on a specified date/event.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hi 1337user,

I hope you're having a nice day!

Thanks for suggesting that feature. If it gets more support from other WPMU DEV Members, our developers may consider adding it to the plugin in future.

However, please note that you can actually achieve that already if you use MarketPress together with our Events+ plugin:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/events-plus/

Events+ plugin lets you create some events on specific dates and those could be your services. There's a built-in "add-on" in the Events+ plugin called "Payments via MarketPRess Products" which actually allows users to pay for event via MarketPress by purchasing a product. Let me explain a possible setup then:

1. Install and enable both plugins so you had them fully working
    2. In Events+ enable "Payment via MarketPress Products" add-on
    3. In MarketPress create some virtual (downloadable) product; that might for example be some PDF with additional docs/infos related to your service
    4. In Events+ create add your services as events and mark them as paid events with payment via marketpress product
    5. Select that product that you created in step 3 as payment.
    6. Put an event calendar somewhere on your site - that will serve as services schedule.

What happens next is:
    - user/client goes to that calendar page to see when she/he can book your service
    - clicks "I'm attending" button to book that service (with some tweak or e.g. help of Ultimate Branding plugin you can rename that button to something else, for example "Book service")
    - is taken to the marketpress when buys the product
    - that confirms attendance (booking)

Surely, I realize that it's note exactly the same as simply "service" type of product would be as you suggested it but it's some "way around" that I think you could use :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• 1337user

Thank you for the detailed guide.
    I have done all these steps, but the problem with this method is the following:

You can only select a product that was created as a payment gateway for an event "once"!
    This proves to be very laborsome if this is a frequently recurring event.

I went this route; events + and marketpress, because I had to add a multiple payment class options for the event; as an example; a ticket system with four different class seats, which all have different price categories.

Feel free to test it out; is this intended behavior?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hi @contact255.

Thank you for your response.

You can only select a product that was created as a payment gateway for an event "once"!

I'll be more than happy to test that or explain, in case I missed something, but I admit I'm not quite sure if I'm following you here. Do you mean that if you add the product as "payment" for an event - once the product is bought it's no longer available? Or that you cannot use it with other event? Or does it relate to recurring events?

I'm asking because apart from what you have described I don't know much more about your setup and/or specifics of your "workflow" and I'd like to try to replicate that on my own test setup as closely as possible :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• 1337user

Once you have linked it to an event, even if that event date has passed, the option to add the same product type is not available.

This seems to me like undesirable behavior.

Install Events + and Marketpress.
    Create a product in Marketpress with multiple variations.
    create an event in events + and add the newly created Marketpress product; which has variations.
    Now create a new event in events + and try to select that product again. No option.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hi @1337user,

Thanks for this additional explanation.

Yes, that's right. The same product cannot be used for multiple events, regardless whether it's a product with variations or without them. I just realized that I have indeed used "product" and not "products" (single vs. multiple) in my initial post. I should have been more precise on this, I'm sorry for causing confusion.

Basically, there should be a separate product for each event.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello @contact255!

Don't you think that is a very labor intensive workaround

You mean - using setting up products for all the events? Well, that surely depends on how many events are there as there's no built-in "duplicate" functions. However, I have asked one of our developers, if we could overcome this somehow and simply use the very same product for all the events. Stay tuned please, it might take a bit longer for him to respond but I hope to get some helping hand on this.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello again :slight_smile:

Apparently, I received a response quite fast this time :slight_smile: The "not so good" news is that there's unfortunately no way to overcome this so far. The problem here is how these two plugins communicate: making it work like that would require some serious changes in core code of both of them, otherwise Events+ wouldn't actually know what was paid or not and - the other way around - MarketPress wouldn't actually know what event was paid.

So, that's more complex than I expected. This leaves the option of creating multiple products, I'm afraid.

Other than this, since this thread is already in our "Features and Feedback" forum, I hope more members will vote for you idea of adding "service" type of product or some sort of "bookable" product and if it gets more support, our developers might add it in future.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.