MarketPress Etsy style - how do users upload products, etc.?

I have MarketPress installed with FrameMarket on my multisite network. I am using S2 Member to collect subscriptions and manage my users.

My intention is to use this combination of plugins as a multi-vendor/marketplace venue like Etsy.

My clients pay a monthly flat rate to sell on my site, but we don't collect commissions.

I believe I have everything set up correctly. S2 Members takes care of charging my clients their subscription; Marketpress + Multisite takes care of allowing my clients to sell their own products.

However this is where I'm stuck, since there seems to be very little documentation on this.

Technically, how does my client upload their products? Where do they set their Paypal email address so they can get paid when a customer purchases their items? Where is the client dashboard, if any?

I noticed there is a third party plugin (MarketPress FrontEnd) that does this, but I'd hate to think I have to spend MORE money when, through the video tutorials, MarketPress claims it can be turned into an Etsy style marketplace easily.

• PC

Hiya,

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

That is a very properly asked and well laid question. Thanks for being so clear with that.

Technically, how does my client upload their products? Where do they set their Paypal email address so they can get paid when a customer purchases their items? Where is the client dashboard, if any?

That is done via the backend of the site they signed up. Example. I signed up for wpmudev.yoursite.com then I will login to my site at wpmudev.yoursite.com/wp-admin and then from the MarketPress menu, I will add products and store details including my PayPal email address etc.

I noticed there is a third party plugin (MarketPress FrontEnd) that does this, but I'd hate to think I have to spend MORE money when, through the video tutorials, MarketPress claims it can be turned into an Etsy style marketplace easily.

Indeed there is a plugin but that is not designed by us. It's a custom work done by one of the community members. It is used for allowing the users to do frontend posting.

MarketPress does not allow frontend posting. You can view the tutorials here : https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/e-commerce#usage

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers
    PC

• mei_pak

Hi there PC,

Thanks for answering my questions. Just to clarify:

That is done via the backend of the site they signed up. Example. I signed up for wpmudev.yoursite.com then I will login to my site at wpmudev.yoursite.com/wp-admin and then from the MarketPress menu, I will add products and store details including my PayPal email address etc.

My users pay for a subscription via S2 Member >> S2 Member sends an email for a registration link >> User enter information AND MUST sign up for a "blog" (and not "just username") >> The user's blog/subdomain will be their dashboard/portal...?

Does that procedure sound right to you? That means, in order for the Etsy style marketplace to work, I need to be sure that under Multisite Registration Configuration, I offer "Blog Farm (I plan to offer both Membership & Blog creation)"?

I turned that off, so maybe that's why I couldn't figure it out.

• PC

You are spot on @mei_pak

Your members should be able to signup for their own sites. Only then they will be able to create their own store.

The user's blog/subdomain will be their dashboard/portal...?

Yes

That means, in order for the Etsy style marketplace to work, I need to be sure that under Multisite Registration Configuration, I offer "Blog Farm (I plan to offer both Membership & Blog creation)"?

Yep, they should be able to signup for their own site(blog) on their multisite.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers
    PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.