Marketpress Feature Request – PayPal Chained Payments connected to User Profile (Not Blog)

Hi

In order for the following to be allowed:

– People to sell products on MU blogs created by others/administrators

– People to sell products on the main blog of the network (without needing to create a blog with listings on that)

I request the following.

Tie the user profile to a newly created marketpress post.

That way, on any blog, if the product is sold, a chain payment could occur where:

– The marketpress (network) gets a share of the sale

– The product seller (linked to user profile) gets a share of the sale

If another party, a blog owner, helped sell this product on their site, by providing traffic and referred users, they could get paid by the affiliate plugin.

Any +1s ?

Cheers,

Johnny

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya Johnny,

That’s a really interesting idea. It effectively makes the chained payments usable as an affiliate scheme.

It might be that this is better as a feature of a more tightly integrated affiliate plugin rather than into MarketPress itself.

I’ll pass this onto the guys to see what they think.

Meanwhile, any +1s for something like this?

Phil

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya Johnny,

Sorry, looks like the guys just haven’t had chance to look at this yet but I’ll give ’em a nudge.

As for classifieds I’m not sure how using maps with MarketPress would negate the need for it as Classifieds doesn’t do location. Besides, we’re highly unlike to get rid of Classifieds.

Phil

• Aaron
    • CTO

All I want, is for people to sell products on my main site, using a front end form to enter the product.

I fully understand your desire for this. Unfortunately it won’t be happening as it does to the core design of MarketPress as a multisite based plugin for all marketplace functionality. It would require a complete rebuild to implement this.

And it wouldn’t really be worth the effort as the current design affords much more power with the same basic functionality.

• johnnymestizo
    • HummingBird

So, in order for someone to sell something on my marketpress marketplace they have to:

– Create a login

– Create a new blog

– Go to the blogs backend, and enter their paypal id under marketpress settings

– Create a new product in marketpress backend in their blog

I am trying to:

– Create a login with paypal id entered in user profile

– Create a new product from the front end

I will be getting a dev to hack this up over the next few months.

Is anyone else interested in this?

Cheers,

Johnny

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya Johnny,

That’s a bit more in-depth than we can really go into here. It sounds like your a fairly competent developer so you should be able to find the relevant per-site settings in MarketPress and how they’re stored in order to set that programmatically.

Cheers,

Phil

• johnnymestizo
    • HummingBird

Still trying to get this done. I need someone who has in depth market press experience to do this job?

However, Aaron says this wouldn’t work with the current Marketpress system. (a complete re-write is needed)

IF, user id chained payments existed:

A person could create a sub-marketplace mu site, such as “MacBook Exchange”, build traffic, administrate it. Then a new user could come along, quickly upload their macbook, and then everyone is happy, as everyone gets a share.

At the moment, a user has to build a new MU site, build links, get traffic, market it, administer it, then upload their product……

Surely, this is a valid feature request?

Cheers

Johnny

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Johnny,

Aaron’s word on this is final. My recommendation would be to simplify the site managing process as much as possible. You can still use the global capabilities of MarketPress and theme’s like GridMarket to give the experience of one unified store.

You can additionally make the admin panels much simpler (or not even needed with your front-end posting module) for your individual shop owners/vendors. If they are all on subdomains or subdirectories of your main site – they won’t need to spend anytime buliding links, traffic, marketing etc – you do that for the entire network. The end results here are largely the same.

Thanks!

• johnnymestizo
    • HummingBird

Could the request here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/domain-mapping-and-pro-sites

be used as a fix for this?

If a person signs up, and there own random url blog is auto generated, they could then fill out their paypal email for it, and be able to list single products for sale.

It would then be simply a matter of selecting the right product tags for it to be listed on already created network blogs.

Cheers,

Johnny

• Giovanni
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi johnnymestizo.

I just became a member of WPMUDEV for the MarketPlace plugin alone. I want to do something similar to you and just started the process yesterday. I’ve read a lot and seems that MarketPlace might or might not work.

For your question about a front end solution, I found this in another forum:

http://tradr.com/groups/development/public/tradr-products/

It is a plugin that provides a front end product creation form. I have not yet tested it and I hope it works.

What is your current website where your marketplace installation is? I’d love to see how you’re implementing it.

I haven’t decided on how a seller can signup and I can create my own profile fields. I don’t want to use buddypress since it is a big program that might bee excessive.

Thanks.

Giovanni

• johnnymestizo
    • HummingBird

The user won’t get automatically paid as marketpress does not support chained payments for users, only for blog network owners.

You can, run a manual payment system, where at the end of the month you pay out any commissions. There is software somewhere to do this… but I am after a automated solution.

Johnny

• sharonmiranda
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Johnny,

you say there is software somewhere to allocate sales at the end of the month.Can you give a clue to find some of that software? I was about to develop something myself.

You wrote up a potential solution which sounded to me like it could work and i’d like explain my thoughts as they are running along a similar line, but may be an easier implementation.

Since a site can contain it’s own marketplace, and the products in that marketplace are included in the global marketplace, that site doesn’t actually have to be experienced by the member, nor seen by the end user.

The site owner could use the front end posting software, which connects to his site, and his product would show up in the parent.

A form can be used to apply for ability to post products which will include the payment gateway ID. a mysql update query could be created to insert new site records and the gateway id.

What do you think?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.