MarketPress for Rental Scheduling?

Hello, I need to find a solution for a client who rents mobility accessories. This solution needs to keep track of inventory based on rental dates and number of accessories available (not already reserved) for those dates. Is this possible with MarketPress? Thanks and any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

• aristath

Hello there @Jason, I hope you're well today!

I'm afraid that MarketPress alone can't do that...
    But you could try integrating it with Appointments+. :slight_smile:
    You'd basically have to setup your mobility accessories as "services". (they also have a capacity setting so you could handle your inventories too).
    Then, when someone wants to rent a mobility accessory they would add "appointments" to their MarketPress cart for the dates/times they wish, and then checkout.
    The renting calendar would show which dates are available and which ones are not.

It's not ideal... but it's the closest thing I can think of to do what you want.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Jason

I am attempting to set this up but am a bit confused. Should I just be using Appointments+ or using it in tandem with MarketPress? If I'm using both can you tell me which plugin should be handling which functions?

Also, can Appointments+ handle different quantities? For example if we have wheelchairs for rent can we specify that we have 5 wheelchairs and allow for up to 5 to be rented at any one time?

Thanks in advance!

• Tyler Postle

Hey Jason,

Hope you're doing well today! More than happy to help out here.

Should I just be using Appointments+ or using it in tandem with MarketPress? If I'm using both can you tell me which plugin should be handling which functions?

Appointments+ by itself has a very simple payment setup, accepting only PayPal and 1 appointment at a time, if that is all you need then great! No need to integrate with MarketPress; however, if you want users to be able to check out with multiple appointments at the same time, use different payment gateways, and/or allow them to buy other products at the same time then you will want to integrate with MarketPress :slight_smile:

To do this, just turn on Payment in the Appointments > Settings > General tab.

Then check the integrate with MarketPress box and check the box to create the product page.

Also, can Appointments+ handle different quantities? For example if we have wheelchairs for rent can we specify that we have 5 wheelchairs and allow for up to 5 to be rented at any one time?

Yes you can do this, you will want to setup 5 service providers :slight_smile: what I would do is name the service providers chairs, so Wheelchair 1, Wheelchair 2, Wheelchair 3, etc. Then each one will have it's own bookings. You don't need to place the service provider shortcode on the page either - if you leave out the [app_service_providers] and just have the [app_services] one then users don't have to actually select the wheelchair as that might be a bit pointless, assuming they are all the same.

Hopefully this makes sense Jason! If you need any further clarification just let me know :slight_smile: more than happy to help.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Jason

Excellent advice and I really appreciate it. Unfortunately I'm going to have to put it in my toolbox for later use since the client just decided to go in another direction :slight_frown:

Now they just want to show a calendar for each product and manually input 'blackout dates' for times when each item is out of stock. Does wpmudev offer a plugin that would work for this?

Thanks again!

• Michelle Shull

Hey there, Jason!

I don't think we've got a perfect option for this, so I did some looking around. Since your client doesn't want to use the calendar to book rentals, only to show availability, Appointments+ is going to be just a little too meaty for the job, but this might be a good job for Google Calendar, and a tool to display your gcals on your site.

This guide talks about using a particular (free) plugin from the repository to embed gcals, and how to create events, which your client could use to mark off days when equipment is already rented. (And he could manage it from either his site OR his gcal. Clients love convenience!) http://www.wpbeginner.com/plugins/how-to-add-google-calendar-in-wordpress/

I gave the plugin a quick test drive, it seems to work okay for me on a site with a few plugins and a handful of different themes.

If that's still a little too much car for your client, I believe there are some other free and premium plugins we can take a look at that will make the process even simpler.

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.