Marketpress Global Cart

Hi @Aaron et al,

I would really love a little bit of shortcode or a code snippet to be able to show a global cart, something like [mp_global_cart]

This would allow a global (site wide) cart summary, which people can click on to view their cart and checkout - something very simple like the image.

You could make it fancier if you wanted, but something that will return and remember the values across a Multisite install of marketpress - having it only on each site means vendors will lose sales.

A global / sitewide cart function is required to acheive full functionality for a worpress multi-vendor shopping cart. Checkout could be as attached.

-->> Can you please advise if this would be somthing coming soon??

• Max
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

@Aaron - perhaps the global cart could be run as https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/sarahs-buddypress-sliding-login-panel with a pretty little cart image and number on the tab - and click to pull down global_cart widget/page and then a click through to checkout?

That would be really cool :wink:

Of course, someone has to write the backend code to make the global cart and checkout happen in the first place . . bags not me!!

• leewillis77
    • Flash Drive

I *think* this post answers a question I had. I'd thought that if you displayed the global store on a site (I have it on the "main" site) then users would be able to add products from various stores and checkout - but it seems that all that happens is that the purchaser gets taken through to the individual stores and can only checkout with items from that single store. Is that how it works?

Thanks

• Max

@leewillis77 - This is how it works - which is fine if the sites are all run seperately, however if you want to run a multi-vendor shop front for which the plugin is advertised (which is where the real power of this polugin is) then a global_cart is required . . . . there just isn't one yet!

FYI, from pre-sales questions I had asked I beleive that a global cart is on the dev road map, however haven't had any feedback since about ETA, but I do hope within the month, because I want my site live in January and a global_cart is required (because it is being setup as a multi-vendor shop front).

• Max

@johnnymestizo
    I think you can click on my name and see all my posts - most are related about this.
    No SHIP!!! been on the back of the devs about this "lacking" advertised functionality for a long time.
    I spent atleast 9 months not even checking posts or logging in here - although my membership is valid for 12 months for a feature which does not work.
    Where else can you pay for 12 months and not be able to use it?? For my project, is this does not work, nothign does.
    So . . . . my web projects are now based on Joomla - it is actually WAY more extendable . . . .but the groovy membership and subscriber plugin functionality draws me back . . . if only the global cart worked . . . . . and then . . . . the next flaw
    the shipping functionality in MarketPress sucks.
    Solution ???

I think I am going for Joomla with Magento (MageBridge), Unirgy :: uDropship and JomSocial. The integration is almost faultless and functionality is awesome!!

I've used Magento EXTENSIVELY in the past - it is the only e-commerce platform that gives the results required - nothing else compares, no matter how hard I look or the cost involved.

Unirgy :: uDropship functionality within Magento far surpasses anything on the market.

JomSocial, while only trying to catchup with buddypress, has lot's of extra functionality, especially when we integrate with JomSocial.

But, you love the cool WP blog fuinctions?? No probs, plug WP into Joomla, or simply use the cool Joomla blog/distrib extensions.

I mean really . . . . I've tried to give suggestions and even if they'd all been done the project would still fail in depth of offering. If I was just selling downloads or similar maybe it'd be OK - but this is not how it is advertised.

If you are a WP dev - have a look at the latest J distrib - it really is way easier.

• Saunt Valerian
    • The Bug Hunter

Don't know what the current status is on this, but one good way of working it (now, especially with the way BuddyPress 1.5 integrates with the WordPress MenuBar) is to hook into the global menu bar and link to the global cart there. The link could return the user to the main site where they could handle the checkout.

On the main site, the global cart could display the various site names with the products beneath them.

The issue would be how to get the checkout handled. In the case of paypal chained payments (which is the only one I can visualize, since that is what I currently use), each subside order would need to be sent out through the subsite's registered payment gateway, but handled through a single payment system. None of this may be possible if your network is using multiple payment gateways.

I can sort of see how it might theoretically with chained payments, but if you have a subsite taking payments directly on their site using Authorize, then how would that feed through the process?

Given what MarketPress already does, I think any implementation of this would have to limited to networks using only one payment gateway throughout.

• Aaron
    • CTO

I guess I'm confused guys as to why the Global cart added in 2.0 does not satisfy your requirements? You can add and view products in the cart from up to 10 stores at a time, and purchase from all 10 with only one PayPal transaction!

Have you even tried enabling it?

• cstevenson
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I think the post at the top was talking about a page displaying each single cart from each shop.

So its different from the global cart marketpress currently has....

It doesnt have to be one global checkout for all the stores. It just has to be a page which shows the information from all the single store carts which has several checkout buttons on it, one from each store. Like the picture.

The problem at the moment is, if we want to use chained payments, we cant use the global cart. But if you imagine a buyer shopping in several different stores, they have to go back to each store to find their cart. Thats fine but it would be easier for the shopper if they could view those individual store carts on one page.... like the picture in the first post in this thread.

If there are hundreds of stores on a site (like etsy etc) then its almost impossible for the buyer to navigate back to a shop as there is no bookmarking or favouriting built into marketpress. If a buyer loses a shop, and a cart, then its a lost sale.

A page which shows all the single carts together would solve this. Then we dont need chained payments in the global cart so much. We can still use single carts and chain payments.

• Aaron
    • CTO

Ah, I see. The cart array already returns the contents of every cart segmented by blog_id in a multisite environment. It can be accessed like this:

global $mp;
    $cart = $mp->get_cart_contents(true);
    var_dump($cart);

It's a fairly simple task to loop through that array and print multiple carts. I'll add a template function + shortcode to the todo list for a future update.

• harryhayes
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi,

Please could you expand on

global $mp;
    var_dump($cart);

It's a fairly simple task to loop through that array and print multiple carts.

I am a newbie, I want to do this but where do I start?

Important note...

It would also be very valuable to be able to bypass payments to individual shop owners and collect payment directly to a single paypal or credit card, etc account. Namely, the site owners.

This would be considerably more preferable from a financial and security point of view - If the domain owner is paid first it would allow greater control of commissions, returns, non deliveries, complaints etc. It would also allow a cooling off period and most importantly, protection against fraudulent vendors who can, at present, take payment for nonexistent goods and then disappear leaving the site admins to deal with the aftermath.

Frankly, this is really needed if you want to provide a serious and secure, multi vendor solution.

A global basket is one thing but from legal point of view, it could potentially cause un-prepared site owners a monumentally horrific nightmare.

Sadly, after days trying to find a solution for this, I have decided to drop this plugin altogether because without the financial security global payment collection offers, I really can't see myself being foolish enough to stand in the firing line of the fraudsters who would soon catch on to a real winner.

Marketpress without this function, seems to me, to be nothing more than a pimped up, ticking time bomb, version of a simple directory of shops much like any other.

I would love to hear your thoughts because after 4 days of wasted time playing with this, I still feel that Marketpress has so much promise. The functionality is great and the potential greater.

But.....

• cstevenson
    global $mp;
    var_dump($cart);

just put it in a function and call the function from a template to see the resulting array of cart contents by store.

Its up to you how you use the array to create the page though, You would then have to loop through the stores to display each store contents with a checkout button for each store.

• cstevenson

i think marketpress is following an etsy ebay style setup which is why each store owner is responsible for their own payments.
    Which is preferable for me.

It seems having the payments going into the main site owners paypal adds lots of extra work for the main site owner? Surely the legal issues with this are just as complicated as you are then responsible for all the refunds and complaints for potentially hundreds of vendors.

• cstevenson

thinking about it, You could marketpress and use chained payments still, where you set the chained payment up so that you receive 100 percent of the sale, then all the money would go to you, then you would pay the vendor a percentage once the goods were received?
    Or you set it up so the vendor gets 50 percent of the sale, then the other 50 percent once goods are received....

• harryhayes

Hi, and thanks for the explanation, however I am still in the dark I'm afraid as I have no idea yet what functions, array and loops even are let alone how to implement them.

Regarding legalities, I totally agree. I don't think either option is ideal for a small business with limited funds but youy comments have made me realise I am perhaps a little fixated on what I am looking for rather than what could be.

My project relies on being able to offer shoppers combined delivery for a fixed price regardless of the number of items and vendors. A USP of our service is to provide shoppers a single checkout from many vendors all based within a geographical area.

Whilst admin may be a bit of a headache, the benefits of reduced Paypal fees, immediate collection of our commissions and control over fraudulent vendors outweighs the resultant legalities. We would, in effect, operate as any retail business would, with multiple suppliers, goods in, goods out, pay suppliers, but with a serious cash flow advantage in our favour. So long as we operate within the bounds of the Sales of Goos Act, the business model is sound.

I feel that it is far more important to be able to control the potential damage fraudulent traders could cause to our local reputation. (Until such time as we have the financial power of Ebay at least). lol

Thanks for the response, you have got me reconsidering my plans.

• harryhayes

I need to look into Chained Payments further as this could be a possible solution.

I have thought of a possible, but messy, solution.

I am wondering if, with the use of the 'new blog template' plugin, it would be possible to create a default template and settings, which could be pre configured with the same paypal account and subsequently locked from modification by shop users.

I wonder if there would then be a way to combine the resulting basket totals and send as a single order rather than several to the same paypal account but it would not be essential, just preferable in order to avoid multiple fixed per-transaction charges from paypal.

Thinking on - I guess we could then also offer subscriptions which allow shop owners the option to accept direct payment but for a higher subscription price.

• cstevenson

ok, I see what you mean. I am not operating on a big financial scale. I will host hundreds of vendors but the goods sold through my site will be an avarage of £5 per item at the most, so its less attractive for a fraudster, and if there was one fraudulant vendor, they could be shut down quickly after causing minimal damage.
    Thats the plan anyway ...

• harryhayes

Sounds like a plan. I have just posted to the custom section to see what the response would be.

I think maybe I worry too much about the fraud element. I have been stung far too many time by so called vendors on the other well known international market place. So much so that I am unable to 'reKindle' my relationship. If you know what I mean.

What also underlies my thinking is how I feel customers would react to a global checkout that has say £20+ combined delivery charges. I feel it would not look to enticing and would probably put people of regardless of the number of shops they buy from. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Then again, maybe I am just a control freek

• EspaceRA

Any news @zeroplusone ? I'm searching this too.

@Aaron

The cart array already returns the contents of every cart segmented by blog_id in a multisite environment. It can be accessed like this:
    global $mp;
    var_dump($cart);
    It's a fairly simple task to loop through that array and print multiple carts. I'll add a template function + shortcode to the todo list for a future update.

Is this future update comming soon or already available ?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.