Marketpress global shopping cart and chained payments.

OK.. I am probably beating a dead horse, but I have only seen threads about a year old and nothing recent. When I first inquired about marketpress i was told that global shopping cart and chained payments were the answer to a main site, with sub sites each selling products. One check out for all stuff up to 10 stores, and I could take a % fee through chained payments.

Now that I have payed for a membership, i have marketpress multisite, gridpress, framemarket. However it appears that i cannot use global shopping cart with chained payments.

I have tried a workaround that was posted, but couldn’t make it work. Please let me know if i should simply quit trying and move on, or if there are a few things that I could try…

Thanks.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

This is something which is not doable due to limitations at PayPal as discussed on the thread here : https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/global-shopping-cart-paypal-chained-payments

A work around was posted here : https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/marketpress-global-cart-plus-chained-payment as you have already gone through and tried I believe.

I have however tagged our lead developer @aaron on this thread to get his expert advice on this one.

Cheers, PC

• Miss B Hayving
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Aaron – I hope that will be an optional extra, not the norm?

I really LOVE it the way it is with the global shopping cart, and one payment for up to 10 vendors.

My clients love this concept too.

I actually think it’s so much better than having an Etsy like cart where you have to check out separately for each vendor… my ADD kicks in and I lose interest after paying for 2… the other vendors then just miss out on the sale!

• abbeypost
    • New Recruit

So, any update on this? It’s a pretty big issue for us. When we moved our “alpha” site over to MarketPress/MultiSite/GridMarket/FrameMarket, everything looked much nicer, but guess what happened?

Conversions went into the toilet. As far as we can discern, it’s because of this issue. Buyers add things from all over our marketplace to their carts, but the cart acts like a drunk monkey, they go “WTF?”, and leave.

It’s a little disappointing that we pay for Premium services and are led to believe that things will work a certain way, but there’s 1) very little documentation, and 2) nothing done on this issue which as far as I can tell has been a dead horse for literally years.

So…any update? Come on, make my day! Please :slight_smile:

• abbeypost
    • New Recruit

Hi Aaron, thanks for the response. I’m not surprised to hear that it will take work, but it’s unfortunate to hear there’s apparently been little of that work actually done to date.

I’m really at a loss as to how this:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/marketpress-global-cart-plus-chained-payment

could be considered a workaround.

Following those steps enables Express Checkout, which BY DEFINITION negates the ability of the site to collect a percentage on each sale. That’s sort of the whole point of a marketplace–receiving chained payments AKA a percentage, AKA making money.

It’s not at all a PayPal issue, as has been stated clearly in various threads here on WPMU by your own team.

So…how is this a workaround? And much more importantly, what CAN be done to offer your users the functionality they expected to get when they signed up for this whole methodology of building a marketplace?

• Aaron
    • CTO

So…how is this a workaround? And much more importantly, what CAN be done to offer your users the functionality they expected to get when they signed up for this whole methodology of building a marketplace?

I never considered it a workaround. Either way you spin it you are still asking about a NEW feature that MarketPress has never supported, due mainly to the limitations in the PayPal api. All I can say is we’re working on it, we have lots’ of priorities here, and this is not the top of the list, though for MP new features it is pretty near.

There isn’t anything more to say about it really.

• abbeypost
    • New Recruit

Thanks, Aaron. I referred to it as a workaround because WPMUDEV-IAN referred to it as such in this very thread.

Happy to hear that it’s near the top of the list for MP feature requests. Apparently it was my misunderstanding when committing to this approach. I was led to believe from the (scant) documentation available that Global Shopping Cart worked, full stop, with the payment gateways supported.

It would have been advantageous to myself and other members to have this issue clearly spelled out since it’s now become obvious that the WPMU team has been aware of it for a long time. It would have saved us a great deal of wasted time, money, and customer aggravation.

I apologize if I sound frustrated. It’s only because I am. We now have a “marketplace” that craps out if someone tries to buy an item from more than one seller at a time. How are other Marketpress marketplaces handling this issue, and actually * getting paid* for sales made on their sites? There’s obviously something we don’t know. That’s really what I’m asking here.

I just want a solution. We’re open to changing payment gateways, or pretty much anything else you can suggest.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

Thanks for posting back and sorry if my words created any confusion. I just linked this thread to another one where that suggestion was posted however at the same time I also posted that its not possible due to the limitations from PayPal and that is what created the confusion.

How are other Marketpress marketplaces handling this issue, and actually * getting paid* for sales made on their sites?

That is something I will let the members using MarketPress on their projects answer here.

Chained payments with Global shopping cart is not the only way its being used. Many use it with Prosites where they charge the sellers for the store rather than a %.

Some offer the sites free of cost and charge a % using chained payments.

So atm its only Global Cart OR Chained Payments am afraid.

Cheers, PC

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Dan,

Thanks for the downvote however I wish the development of the plugin was in my hands. I am not a developer so I can not make it work the way you want.

As stated by our lead developer @aaron the work has started on it however currently our developers are working on a theme project which is keeping them away from a few things. As soon as that is launched, things will be back to normal.

I have sent a note to Aaron for his comments on the same. Once again, thanks for your feedback.

Cheers

PC

Sales &Support

• Aaron
    • CTO

Again, this is due to limitations in Paypals chained api. And I haven’t found any other payment provider that can do parralel + chained payments.

The rewrite of global checkout behavior is a major priority for the next big MP release. We will keep it that way until it’s ready.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.