Marketpress, Gridmarket child – what other child themes are compatible?

Gridmarket might suffice for now, but I was wondering what other child themes are available for marketpress before I get too deep into the customization.

Thank you,

Jamie

• Ivan
    • HummingBird

Hey there Jamie,

Hope you are well and thanks for the question!

GridMarket is the only child theme that comes with FrameMarket I am afraid.

You could use it as a starting point to create your own child theme, and also you could take a look at SimpleMarket.

We have also an article in our blog on how to create Market press child themes.

It is old, but it is still relevant.

You can find it here – https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/create-your-very-own-framemarket-child-theme/

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Ivan

• jamie
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Ivan,

thank you for the information.

I am playing with simple market and trying to see if it has he similar function to allow users to see all the sub sites in a multisite installation. The gridtheme has the pick a store option, where simple market does not.

What are your thoughts on flexmarket?

I am going to do some more poking around, but I like all the features of marketpress, but I would like to explore all my options before I commit wholly.

Thank you again,

jamie

• be
    • WP Core Meltdown

Hi Jamie.

Depending on what you intend the Ecommerce marketpress multisite to do.

Gridmarket will basically save you a whole lot of time with all the inbuilt features it has for Market press.

Having said that you need to note it is NOT responsive – none of the legacy theme s here are.

The new platform called UPFRONT that has been developed here will require you to do all the manual setup for stores but is “modern” as in ready for the 10 year old mobile world. :slight_smile:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/projects/category/themes/

Note there are still a few quirks to get over with the new platform but it is modern and IMO more worth the time you will invest in setup..

• jamie

UPfront is a theme built for Market press or is it a whole other ecommerce solution?

The multiple stores that we will be setting up are going to be managed by the individual store owners, short of the setup.

After reviewing the link you provided it looks like a highly customizable platform, but I do not want to have to over load with a million plugins to handle all the the other elements of running a multisite ecommerce solution.

I need to think hard about this decision.

Thanks,

Jamie

• jamie

I am not looking for a drag and drop WYSIWYG so either gridmarket or simplemarket is likely going to work. When I use Simple market, I assume I need to see what display options there are for products, because unlike gridmarket there are fewer out of the box features.

More probing is in order but I thank you all for your comments.

Jamie

• be
    • WP Core Meltdown

HI Jamie.

You are correct. UPfront is a new platform which in theory you can manipulate to display in any way you choose. Including but not exclusively Marketpress or Ecommerce solutions.

Gridmarket was created specifically for Marketpress and has all but a few of the major needs for displaying and selling products.

It is however not responsive or designed for any type of smart device (so depending on your clientele this may or may not be a problem)

Any other theme used will require manual setup of feeds and display etc regardless.

You are also correct in considering it all before launch as it is always more difficult to change a functioning store – if you move from gridmarket later.

Not impossible but requires a very dedicated amount of time and testing to ensure clients and stores do not lose or miss anything.

• jamie

Maybe you can help by clarifying the features on the marketpress multisite features.

Regardless of the theme I chose for the look, will marketpress allow unified shopping cart across all sites? My goal is an etsy.com like site and we need to be able to process payments if the clients chose.

You say all but a few major needs are addressed with gridpress, what in your opinion in missing?

Are products in marketpress stored as posts and if so is the product data stored as meta data associated with each post? or is that something handled by the theme as custom post types.

I am having trouble deliniating between what marketpress is doing versus what the theme does. I could benefit from a comprehensive list of functionality of marketpress (I am reviewing features on plugin page) – in the meantime I will watch the videos to see if it will help shed some light.

On the plugin page there are examples of sites that are using other themes, which themes are those?

Thank you again…I am sorry for being so dense, but I am trying to absorb the idea of multisite, marketpress and the unique theme implementation.

Sincerely,

Jamie

• be
    • WP Core Meltdown

Hi Jamie..

Yes indeed – documentation is and has been sadly lacking and testing is what usually proves whats what.

Please note: Just another user like you – so my personal opinion. (run and build hundreds of sites_ of which a serious proportion are ecommerce)

In the WP marketplace there are not too many commerce plugins that can handle a true “etsy” style multistorey setup – INCLUDING Marketpress.

Marketpress as it stands does however come close but there are limitations (some of which are major flaws and some of us have waited years “literally” to be addressed)

It does depend on what the desired outcome is.

Are you taking Chained payments – a percentage of every sale across all stores in your parent/child setup?

Are stores entirely independent of each other etc.

Do stores need variations – ie selling green red blue sizes etc of the same item

Do you need a Global shopping cart? ie: when customers shop and visit many stores in your network are you hoping to have a ONE shopping cart experience?

A number of these very important processes are currently NOT available

we wait for the rework of Marketpress and we are now told that a number of those processes we were led to believe would be involved in the first release are not.

So depending on what you seek for the end user experience

The Theme you choose relates entirely to the display of those ecommerce functions.

The shopping features and functions relate entirely to the Ecommerce plugin

• be
    • WP Core Meltdown

Are products in marketpress stored as posts and if so is the product data stored as meta data associated with each post? or is that something handled by the theme as custom post types.

Yes they are but they are accessed differently so it depends on what you want to do with that data, all commerce and product info needs to have a flow that is used by payment gateways etc.

• jamie

First, thank you for the helpful comments. I am learning that I can use other themes, but I would be using the array of shortcodes to render relevant content, like product lists.

To answer some of your questions:

Are you taking Chained payments – a percentage of every sale across all stores in your parent/child setup? Yes, we would like to.

Are stores entirely independent of each other etc. Not necc. entirely independent, but will feature their own name.

Do stores need variations – ie selling green red blue sizes etc of the same item Not currently, each item is unique

Do you need a Global shopping cart? ie: when customers shop and visit many stores in your network are you hoping to have a ONE shopping cart experience? Yes

Thank you again,

Jamie

• be
    • WP Core Meltdown

I am learning that I can use other themes, but I would be using the array of shortcodes to render relevant content, like product lists.

Yes and feeds etc.. Gridmarket takes a whole lot of work out of it if you just want to test the waters..

With the requirement listed above

Currently Marketpress can cope with – with one major exception of

Currently you can have EITHER OR but not both…

Beware a standard staff line is to post a job on the jobs board .. This in my opinion is extremely unfair and unproductive as currently No dev CAN integrate this due to the way Marketpress is written and it will mean you would forever be developing (PAYING) your ecommerce setup.

GLOBAL cart and CHAINED now called ADAPTIVE payments.

Meaning Mr/Mrs Customer will have to shop at each store individually and make purchases.

Does this work – IMO – very poorly and you most definitely loose sales Our estimation in the region between 40 – 60% because people do not want to go in and out and make multiple separate purchases.

This is NOT a physical store it is online and as such people expect the simplest (for them) quickest experience possible and not numerous barriers..

This major issue is one that Marketpress 3 we are now told is NOT addressing regardless of the initial implication it was.. So do not hold your breathe waiting.

It means you are basically setting up a “Shopping center/mall”

so hoping that all the individual shoppers will visit each store inside your mall seperatly and make multiple separate sales (of which you gain a percentage)

One of the members here has dedicated a great deal of time and effort on Marketpress standard features so some of these may be helpful to you>

He also has themes.

Natthan – you can do a search for

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/

FREEBIE

He also has a membership site dedicated to Marketpress and is extremely helpful.

http://www.marketpressthemes.com/

• jamie

Be,

Your candor is appreciated.

I saw marketpressthemes.com, but after deliberation I am thinking I may take a different approach.

Rather than have different stores, I am going to create individual designer pages and all their goods will be sold under the main site. We will use a SKU system to identify who get paid what. We will take all payments and distribute monies after successful delivery. The main reason for this change is because I do not think some of our manufactures will want to maintain their own store. Having us maintain the store is value added to our designers/manufacturers.

I find a lot of plugin makers paint a rosey picture of the features of their plugins, and the limitations are often left to be discovered after a commitment (that’s business I guess). You have saved me a ton of aggravation and for that I am grateful.

Regarding multiple transactions, it appears that I was able to set up multiple stores and have a unified shopping card, but I did not go through the whole transaction process. Based on what you said I guess the checkout process eventually asks for multiple payments?

Sincere regards,

Jamie

• be
    • WP Core Meltdown

The global shopping cart will work – except when using CHAINED (now called ADAPTIVE) payments. So if you don’t have the automatic chained payments and opt for

Store payments perhaps – ie charge a monthly fee or alternative

You can do this using PROsites

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/pro-sites/

Unfortunatly the proposal you are moving too is very manually intense but until we can test what Marketpress 3 has to offer we wont know.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.