MarketPress help

I just set up a global marketpress installation on my multisite. I have a couple questions regarding how to complete my set-up.

1. I want to display all of the global products on a page on my main site. I have it so marketpress may be enabled on all of my subsites (so all of my members can have a store), and marketpress is activated on my main site. So, I have a store page on my main site, and on it are the Browse Products, Browse Categories, and Browse Tags shortcodes. That is great, but since I don't really want a store of my own, I just want a page that displays the global shortcodes and products of my members. Do I need both pages, or can I just disable the Store Page on my main site and Create a page containing the global shortcodes?

2. I want to be able to take a percentage of each item that each store sells. How do I set that up...I don't remember seeing that option in the network set-up menu.

3. Can I create global categories that cannot be changed by my members on their own sites, or do they choose their own categories?

• sharesteading
    • Flash Drive

Ok. So after some looking around, I've realized that I can't get a commission AND have a global cart. So basically if I want commissions I must only activate the chained payments gateway, correct? There are no global categories to create as these are created by the store-owners themselves, correct? Finally, the main site's store with its default "Browse Products" tags are necessary, and I should display the global shortcodes on a separate page?

Let me see if I've got this process straight then:

1. On a Multisite install, it is necessary to have Marketpress active on the main site, so that all listings can be indexed globally.

2. All subsite owners can have a store, and add their own products and categories. Their products are displayed on my main site if I create a page with the global shortcodes.

3. If a visitor views the global listings and clicks one, they are automatically redirected to the site where the product is located (if there is no global cart). They may purchase the product from that site only, and must check out there.

4. If a visitor views the global listings (and there is a global cart), and click one, they may add the product to their cart and keep shopping. They may check-out from the main site, and all product payments are directed to the appropriate site owner, but the network admin( me) cannot take a percentage of purchases.

Is that how it works, or am I still confused?
    Thanks!

PS. I hope you guys are figuring out how to use chained payments with a global cart because that would be exceptional.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya sharesteading,

Your second post here is correct on all counts! Nice bit of sleuthing in a short time there!

PS. I hope you guys are figuring out how to use chained payments with a global cart because that would be exceptional.

We are. In fact, it is possible already - but PayPal has limitations in their API for this scenario:
    1. Global Shopping Cart (separate stores) = Max of 10 stores per order
    2. Global Shopping Cart (separate stores) + Chained Payments = Max of 5 separate stores per order

And honestly, PayPal is just about the only gateway provider that makes this much available - other gateways are even more restrictive or make it impossible altogether.

We're looking at it though and working to provide the best solutions within the current limitations as we can.

Let us know if we can assist further!

Thanks!

• ipadstyli
    • New Recruit

Hi everyone,

I'm also a little confused with the global cart option.

I can't find the option to activate the chained payments gateway, this is my first time using a MU site, but from what I can gather the Network admin panel no longer exists like it used to?

Can anyone help?

Also I would like to thank sharesteading for helping me understand the current limitations of this plugin.

• ipadstyli
    • New Recruit

Ok, so I now realise that the Network or Super Admin panel is now located at the top right of the dashboard, however although I can see the global cart option I still can't find the percentage settings to earn commission from members stores?

From reading previous posts here it seems that I have to enable the chained gateway on the network page.

Aha, just found it!

Click 'Network Admin' top right of dashboard, then under setting/marketpress it's the second to last option in the 'Gateways Permissions' panel.

Sorry for being so stupid, however there may be others out there who are having a bad day like me so maybe posting this will help them!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya ipadstyli,

Glad you were able to get it sorted - and welcome to WPMU DEV!

In the future, feel free to start a new thread for any issue you find - sometimes these threads get overlooked and we definitely wanna help should the need arise.

Thanks!

• rooze
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi

I'm glad I found this post.

MasonJames - when you say that it is already possible to do this
    "2. Global Shopping Cart (separate stores) + Chained Payments = Max of 5 separate stores per order"

How does one set that up? I understand the limitations of Paypal api but I'd like to go ahead and set it up for both chained and global store

Thanks

Carl

• ModularSpace
    • Flash Drive

Dude, I just want to charge commission to my store owners. I've been reading articles for the last 2 hours and can't find anything useful. Why can't someone just plainly add a step-by-step guide for charging commission. Marketpress advertises this feature in their plugin, so they shouldn't make people stumble about the internet just to figure out how it's done. Seriously. Can someone please help with this???

• ModularSpace
    • Flash Drive

Dude, I just want to charge commission to my store owners. I've been reading articles for the last 2 hours and can't find anything useful. Why can't someone just plainly add a step-by-step guide for charging commission. Marketpress advertises this feature in their plugin, so they shouldn't make people stumble about the internet just to figure out how it's done. Seriously. Can someone please help with this???

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

Go to Network Admin>Settings>MarketPress and make sure you have the "PayPal Chained Payments" marked as "all can use".

From there, the settings for the paypal app are below and the first setting is to set the commission. If you need assistance setting up the paypal app we have a writeup on that here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/xcommerce-application-process-marketpress-fundraiser

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need anything further!

• lujeffcoat
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

The staff response above says:

We are. In fact, it is possible already - but PayPal has limitations in their API for this scenario:
    1. Global Shopping Cart (separate stores) = Max of 10 stores per order
    2. Global Shopping Cart (separate stores) + Chained Payments = Max of 5 separate stores per order

however when I enable Global Shopping Cart, the PayPal chained payment sections disappear. I need to figure out how to set this up asap.

Thanks!

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

Hiya,
    Greetings of the day.
    I was doing a regular followup today and found that we missed your last post on this one.
    Are you still seeking support on this one or managed to get it resolved ? Please let us know so that we can take it further and assist you on the same
    Thanks for being a great community member !
    Cheers
    Tom

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.