Marketpress: Is there a way to add a downloadable products as a variation? Also, can you take shippi

I am doing a store for video products. Each product can be bought either as a digital download or as a DVD, however it seems making a downloadable version a variation is disabled. Is there something I can do in the code to make this possible? For now, I have just separated them by category. But then another problem comes up, the same shipping costs seem to apply to all the products, but I don't need them for the digital products. Is it possible to remove shipping on just the download category? Thanks so much for your help!!! :slight_smile:

Saundra

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

Each product can be bought either as a digital download or as a DVD, however it seems making a downloadable version a variation is disabled. Is there something I can do in the code to make this possible?

At this point, there isn't anything that can really be done. We don't support variations on product updates.

For now, I have just separated them by category. But then another problem comes up, the same shipping costs seem to apply to all the products, but I don't need them for the digital products. Is it possible to remove shipping on just the download category?

There's not a way to do this, but you can add shipping charges for each product. So one solution would be to remove any global shipping and then add the shipping fee only to the DVD products.

We are looking into better ways to handle shipping via filters for digital downloads and a heap of other options.

Thanks!

• inaragraphic
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hmmm...I don't know. I looked into that before but it seemed like, from what I was seeing on different forums, that you could only raise the limit so much. So then I tried to link the downloads to a URL and no submit button would show up.

So I dunno...maybe you can make the limit as big as you want though?

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

You should be fine as long as you have enough memory dedicated to WordPress for the task. Things to watch for would be your allowed_memory and max_execution_time. You may need to bump these a bit to allow WordPress to handle larger uploads. That should be it though.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.