Marketpress' multiple download functionality

Hi there,

Yesterday I posted in the forum, contributing to another user's question. The fact that there's a new version of Marketpress (2.8) out as of yesterday suggests that perhaps there could be the multiple download options per product... but I can't seem to find it in the software. Is there any chance you'd be able to tell me if this is in the current version, if it's being developed, and if so, if I'm likely to see it in a week, month, or year (or even beyond that).

For the reasons spelled out below, it's critical to at least know what to tell my client, as Marketpress is definitely what I'd like to recommend to this client.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/how-do-i-add-mulitple-files-for-1-digital-download-product

Many thanks,
Graham

Tom Eagles

@grahamlindsey

If you go to the products listing in admin you can now clone the product using the copy function then add / modify the different options such as size format etc. I will check with the developer to see how this is incorporated so that when viewing one product listing you can see the various options for it. And if not if it can be added at a later stage.

Cheers

Tom

grahamlindsey

Thank you very much! I love how you guys actually give support to your software - it's such a change, so thank you for being awesome!

I'm hopeful that the somewhat recent addition of product variations will make it easier for your developer to add a URL variable (even if it's hidden for the time being and I have to manually add it to the database until a future version with this support) so I can get my client started in the near(er) future.

I understand how the existing variables are formatted, and all the functionality I'd be interested in is:

• Variation URL (because as mentioned, we'll just be uploading our large files to Amazon S3)
    • If no URL supplied, treat it like a physical product (my client will be selling CDs, plus zipped MP3s and WAVs as three different purchase options).

Cheers,
    Graham

grahamlindsey

Would it help to offer a bit of money to develop this feature? I don't have a lot, but this would be a fantastic solution for my client, and I'm sure you'd get a ton of business from a lot of others who are selling products in a similar way.

If you do add support for multiple downloads, do you know when it might be released? I will, of course, just use it as a guide and won't hold you to anything, but if it's a week, a month or a year (or more) away, knowing that will help me at least quote on this job.

I guess then the question becomes whether or not you guys are aware of anyone who is doing this with their site: displaying only one "product" (ie: not separate entries for CD/WAV/MP3) and then allow for people to pick the appropriate media type within that product family.

Failing that, would either of you have any suggestions as to how I'd approach writing a separate plugin to add support for multiple file downloads per product? ...I was thinking it could be possible to compare product ID and possibly variation name... but there's all sorts of room for error there. Also, is there a way to hook into your system for link renaming, limiting the number of downloads, and so on?

Do you have any list of clients (preferably larger ones) who use Marketpress for selling digital files? This same client is wondering if they can see examples, and I haven't found a list of clients on your site - but I realize your privacy policy may restrict you from showing me their sites. ...or perhaps I'm just not looking in the right spot.

Cheers,
    Graham

grahamlindsey

Hi Paul,

This would be absolutely perfect for what I'm doing. I'm hopeful this could be added in for 2.8.2, especially if it's "possible with an afternoon's work" as mentioned.

Is there any possibility that this could become impossible in future versions as Aaron says if they rewrite it in such a way that it's not applicable?

I certainly do want the ability to be able to update Marketpress with future updates, because the whole point of coming to a better shopping cart is that I want to keep it as stock as possible. Otherwise, I'll have to "re-code the wheel" every time I update the plugin.

Thank you so much for sending that link - I've got hope!

Cheers,
    Graham

grahamlindsey

Thanks Aaron!

Do you (@Aaron) think it'd be feasible to work this solution into Marketpress, or is this something we'll have to do on our own as developers?

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/multiple-downloads-per-product-in-marketpress

I figure it's better to go into this knowing whether or not I'll have to change how my system works if the feature is added down the road.

grahamlindsey

Hi there,

I'm looking to move ahead with an implementation of Marketpress allowing a multi file download environment, where customers can download file A.zip if they choose variation A, B.mp3 if they choose variation B, and C.pdf if they choose a third file.

As far as I can see, hooks are the key - because I don't want to modify the Marketpress files wherever possible. @Aaron, can you tell me the easiest way to handle data on per-variation product downloads so I'll be able to migrate it without too much difficulty? Paul mentioned in the 10am chat this morning that you were really the only one who knew where things were going, so I'd have to ask you.

I want to make sure I can jump back in-stream when you guys develop that particular feature.

The only thing I didn't see that was definitely in the cards was adding the ability to locate a file offsite (ie: Amazon S3).

Here's a list of the hooks I've found. Is this the full list, or are there more that I didn't find?

All hooks I've found:
    mp_load_shipping_plugins
    mp_load_gateway_plugins
    mp_handle_payment_return_
    mp_save_product_meta
    mp_details_metabox
    mp_shipping_metabox
    mp_download_metabox
    mp_shipping_process
    mp_payment_submit_
    mp_payment_submit_
    mp_payment_confirm_
    mp_coupon_use
    mp_product_sale
    edit_post
    save_post
    wp_insert_post
    mp_order_paid
    mp_new_order
    mp_order_paid
    mp_order_paid
    mp_order_shipped
    mp_order_paid
    mp_order_shipped
    mp_order_closed
    mp_serve_download
    mp_shipping_tracking_select
    mp_single_order_display_shipping
    mp_single_order_display_box
    mp_general_settings
    mp_presentation_settings
    mp_messages_settings
    mp_shipping_settings
    mp_gateway_settings
    mp_help_page
    marketpress_add_importer
    marketpress_add_screen

Thank you as always,
    Graham

grahamlindsey

Good stuff. Two more questions for you, @Aaron :

1) Is there any good way to store data on multiple product downloads so I can re-integrate it with MP when you guys develop that functionality? Paul mentioned you could possibly give me a heads-up on where the data could be stored, and I figured maybe even the format.

2) I'll have to get under-the-hood and edit the MP source code a fair bit, right?

Cheers,
    Graham

grahamlindsey

I totally understand that things get in the way. Unfortunately yesterday I waited again for the same chat and no Aaron.

Here's what I'd have asked:

As you know, I'm trying to determine a few things re: Marketpress. If it's possible to know if the version with multiple product downloads (one per variation) will be released in the next couple of months, it will be a no-brainer for my client to wait and we'll work on the product when it's released. If it's longer, that's fine too - but depending on how much longer it *could* be, our course of action will have to change.

1) can you give me even a rough, rough estimate of when the one-per-variation downloads feature might be made public? (I won't hold you to it - I'm just hoping to know so I give a very rough estimate to my clients)

(They're very good people and if I tell them to wait, they will quite likely do just that. And I understand that it's often not a good thing to give out timelines, but if you give me an idea I won't share it with anyone other than my clients.)

2) if I have to begin to modify things myself (ie: if dev time is greater than about 3 months), what sorts of modifications to the database will I have to make that will let me jump back in-stream when that product update is released? …ie: how will the mp_postmeta table's meta_value field be formatted when MP supports that functionality?

I really don't want to be a pain, but I've hoped to catch Aaron in one of the scheduled live chats for two weeks now and been unsuccessful.

Many thanks,
    Graham

Aaron

Sorry about this weeks live chat. I cancelled it ahead of time in our calendar so it shouldn't have even showed, did you still see it in the calendar? Things are a bit crazy the next 2 weeks as most of the Incusb team is travelling, getting ready for our first team meetup!

1) can you give me even a rough, rough estimate of when the one-per-variation downloads feature might be made public?

I honestly don't know that I will do a download per variation. Because soon we will be completely rewriting the way variations work due to HUGE demand to switch to an "attributes" type system, where you can assign multiple attributes to a product, like size, color, etc. I'm not sure how downloads will fit into that.

grahamlindsey

Hi @Aaron,

Would there not be a way to add a url as an attribute? ie: instead of specifying colour globally for all products (ie: all shirts in the store can be blue, green or red), could you allow us to specify that attribute for each product (ie: one specific shirt could be orange, but none of the other products would be aware of that colour)?

...and if that works, would it be possible to add urls instead (I really don't care about having the ability to upload files - just specify a download URL), and treat them like the current files download link? One URL per attribute and that'd be perfect for my clients!

On this page it's the "Format" option I'm looking to recreate:
    http://borealisrecords.com/products-page/stan-rogers/turnaround/

If there's any possible way to help you find a solution so I don't have to abandon the official upgrade path for MP, I'd be very happy to help. I'm good to keep the conversation going if brainstorming works for you, and if it could help make MP have a wider appeal (and i know a number of musicians in exactly this situation–including at least four clients of my own), so much the better!

And thank you for your prompt response. No worries about missing the live chat - I'm just trying to answer some client questions.

Have a great meetup!

Thank you,
    Graham

Aaron

If there's any possible way to help you find a solution so I don't have to abandon the official upgrade path for MP, I'd be very happy to help. I'm good to keep the conversation going if brainstorming works for you, and if it could help make MP have a wider appeal (and i know a number of musicians in exactly this situation–including at least four clients of my own), so much the better!

Thanks. I don't think it can be done without modding core.