MarketPress - multiple users, one site, commission-based model...

Hi there.

I've installed MarketPress as a MU installation. I bought a MarketPress licence because I'm *relatively* familiar with WordPress and wanted to make a marketplace store where individual users could create an account and list their products.

The fee model is based on commission: users sign up to list their goods and I take a cut of every sale. Profit! Or so I hoped...

Users are only likely to list a couple of products at a time, so it is going to look very silly if you are forced to go to a number of different minisites when browsing products.

Now, after realising you have to deselect the "global" option in the Network admin to be able to view the commission options, it seems that the torturous process of setting up a PayPal developer account etc. may have been in vain.

Is there some kind of workaround which will enable people visiting the website to be presented with a single store, with contributions from several users, who can all manage only their own products, while I claim commission on every sale? I understand from looking at other people's queries that PayPal limits transactions to five or something, but users are likely to only buy one or two products at a time rather than fill up a basketful.

On a related note, I'm afraid to say it is not proving very intuitive to set up the kind of functionality I require. I'm not sure if there are any better resources available, but a comprehensive user guide to common needs with MarketPress (Etsy store etc.) would be far more helpful, I think, than scrabbling around the forums finding piecemeal bits of info (despite some posts dealing with some issues relatively comprehensively). I only just now received an email from WPMU Dev talking about marvellous Etsy shop-style functionality, but it seems remarkably bothersome to set up...

• aecnu

Greetings evilbrummiegit,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

Sorry to hear that you have not easily found a concept suitable for using the Market Press plugin to create an "Etsy" type site that you desire, but you have come to the right place for answers.

Taking your concept of having a main store with all the products within to include using chained payments to get your cut of the pie so to speak, does not seem so hard to accomplish if considering using shortcodes to produce the main site you described with all the products while clients still have their own individual stores when they create there own site.

First you have your back end setup as normal for chained payments and the main site setup using a shortcode for example [mp_list_global_products paginate="1" page="0" per_page="10" order_by="price" order="DESC" category="downloads"].

The next item in the process is to allow prospects to get their own store/site setup so they can add their own products. This can be done by either using Pro Sites plugin or by them simply typing in there desired sub domain URL.

Once their site/store is created they can have just the privileges you want them to have to include the exact custom menu you want them to have using plugins like Easy Blogging plugin or possibly Advanced Access Manager plugin or a combination of both.

This allows for a diversity of store possibilities and to even offer clients some personalizing of their own store if you so allow i.e. header, title, subtitle etc. which may be in fact a desirable effect rather then the one type fits all approach, while at the same time you are getting a cut of every sale from the main store to include that of the mom and pop stores.

It is all in presentation and expectation of both the purchasers and the vendors.

Cheers, Joe

• evilbrummiegit

Thanks for the reply aecnu.

Using the global products shortcode would seem to be an acceptable workaround, thanks for explaining it to me.

This should enable customers to browse products from all sellers - but are they still able to add products from different sellers into their baskets and checkout, or will it have to be a one-click single-item purchase process?

I've not gotten around to looking at the process of setting up a site from the sellers' perspective yet; I assume it's an intuitive process to type in their domain name without requiring another plugin (...?) - it might also be a nice feature to have the option to auto-assign a unique subdomain to sellers that was simply a number or something, just to make the process easier. It's not an option that would be appropriate for everyone but I think it could be to some.

I really wanted the promised functionality without being effectively cross-sold other plugins which require a subscription upgrade. In this sense the MarketPress plugin does not seem fully-featured. I was thinking of using free plugins like Admin Menu Editor in conjunction with User Role Editor to help me customise capabilities and menus within the backend, but Advanced Access Manager also looks like it could be very useful, so thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Ultimately I do think having this kind of capability baked in would make MarketPress a much more attractive proposition for people. I don't know if this is feasible, and I guess having a modular system makes perfect sense from a development point of view, but I think when you come to sell it to users who want a complete marketplace "solution" (yuck!) out-of-the-box, it makes a lot less sense. Scouting around a bit on other comments I think this sentiment is echoed a few times, but then the dust settles because, like me, a lot of people have only bought into the one-month membership exclusive to the MarketPress plugin. Just my two cents!

• aecnu

Thank you for your feedback, it is both intriguing and appreciated.

This should enable customers to browse products from all sellers - but are they still able to add products from different sellers into their baskets and checkout, or will it have to be a one-click single-item purchase process?

Agreed unless it is products within the same "store" of course. They would currently need to checkout at each site individually.

I really wanted the promised functionality without being effectively cross-sold other plugins which require a subscription upgrade.

To the best of my knowledge there is no subscription upgrade except to pay in advance and lowers the cost significantly. Do you not have access to everything on WPMU Dev? Without upgrading?

a lot of people have only bought into the one-month membership exclusive to the MarketPress plugin. Just my two cents!

I believe you have access to everything, not just Market Press.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

I will certainly check into this. I have been with WPMU Dev for over a year and this is the first I have heard of this.

If I try to download any other premium plugin, it tells me my subscription has been cancelled and prompts me to upgrade to a full membership. I signed up for one month and it should be active until 18 May...

I will dig into this as soon as someone with access to the subscription/payment system becomes available to clarify what is going on here.

It is possible that I am just not aware of this type of membership option, so I want to be sure and on my end here it does in fact show a valid subscription and monthly, but that is the limit to the details I can see.

Please hold on while I get clarification of your membership status.

Cheers, Joe

• Mason

Hiya evilbrummiegit,

Our intention is never to force you into an upgrade scenario. We want you happy with your purchase and able to get setup and running as easy as possible. To that end, I've just given ya an upgrade to a full access subscriber. This is only good for the next month, so feel free to look at any and all of our other products, download as ya like, and test them for your scenario here.

My hope is that you find a combination of plugins that works as a solution that meets your project needs. If so, I hope you'll stick around as a customer, but you have no obligation regardless.

MarketPress was never meant to operate as a multi-seller single-store solution. It creates several stores via the powers of multisite. You may want to check out our GridMarket Theme which also allows for easy switching between 'stores' and a global front page.

Also, please check to ensure that the ongoing subscription for MarketPress is canceled either within PayPal or on our site here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-admin/users.php?page=subscription

Otherwise, you'll get billed again for the MarketPress monthly plan :wink:

Thanks and do let us know how you progress with this. We're here to help.

• rachaelbell

It seems to me that this subject has been asking the same questions that I have, although I have to be honest and I don't really understand the solution. I have just bought and downloaded MarketPress because in the 'features' aspect it says that it can be used as a marketplace like Etsy where people can load their own items and sell them. I have a website http://www.thebigswell.com which is WordPress. I can see how to upload products to sell on MarketPlace but I can not see anything from the front end where a user would be able to create listings for themselves and sell their own products. How do I create access for users to sell their items through marketplace? Like the questions above I would like everything listed on the same one page on our site as that way people can see everything that there is to offer. I am not very computer literate - lanuage about short codes etc is beyind me - and I am disappointed that I have just spent $200 on something that doesn't appear to do what I want it to do. Please can you help me? Do I need to upload other plugins to access the user element. Really appreciate your help! Rachael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.