Marketpress not sending any email notifications after WP 4.0 upgrade

Hi,

Marketpress is no longer generating email notifications to either admin or customers. No email message is received by us when an order is placed, and the customer doesn't get an email when they place their order, or when we mark the order as "Shipped". This has always worked just fine until sometime just after 9/1. I think it has to be the Wordpress 4.0 upgrade because the first time the notifications stopped going out was on 9/4, just after the upgrade.

How do we fix this issue?

Thanks,

Sherry

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi, Sherry!

Just to be sure, did you add any new plugins or change your theme at or around the time the emails stopped working for you?

Are other emails, like registration notifications or user changed/lost password emails still coming through, or is it only marketpress emails which aren't sending?

We can check to make sure WP is still sending email with this plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/check-email/

If that doesn't work, or even if it does, the solution may be to switch from using the native WP PHP mail to using SMTP, instead. PHP mail is pretty resource intensive, and a good number of hosts don't allow its use, it's always my first suspect when members report email issues.

If you'd like to give SMTP mail a try, this is a great pluign to help make the switch as simple as possible: https://wordpress.org/plugins/check-email/

Hope this helps!

• Sherry
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Michelle,

Okay, so , we have Multisite and when I use the Check Email plugin on the non-Marketpress site, it works just fine. However, on the Marketpress site - no emails, and Check Email is defaulting to my personal email address rather than the admin address we have set up for notifications. Then i also tested it with the custom header set to the proper admin email address, and that's not sending the email test either. It's got to be something with WP 4.0 and Marketpress since this all started just after the WP 4.0 upgrade.What should I do next? We really need these notifications to go out.

Thanks,

Sherry

• Sherry

Hello? I really need this resolved. I am using SMTP mail. When I use Check Mail, as suggested, the "From" email address on the first screen that appears is my personal email address rather than any of the email addresses that we have entered for admin purposes. In addition, no notification emails are going out through Marketpress. This is not a hosting or email hosting issue. I know this because on our non-ecommerce site (both on multisite network) the emails are going out with no issues and using the proper email address. Can somebody look into this for me, please? The sooner, the better.

Thanks,

Sherry

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello ther @Sherry, I hope you're well today!

Could you please grant me access to your backend so that I may see exactly what is happening?
    To do so, from your dashboard go to WPMUDEV => Support => Support Access and click on the "Grant access" button.

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Sherry,

Very sorry for the delay here, it looks like the access has expired too :slight_frown:

Do you mind re-granting that? Then we can take a closer look.

Is your personal email used on any of the sites? Just wondering why it would be showing that one instead of the admin email. I haven't seen this issue with any other MarketPress sites updated to 4.0 yet, makes me think there is something else that may be part of the problem as well.

When you contacting your host did they say anything else about what could be causing the issue? By default WordPress doesn't usually use SMTP, that is something WPEngine put's in place on all their installs. It could be a conflict relating to that.

Thanks again for your patience here and look forward to hearing back then we can take a closer look!

Have a great rest of your day.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Sherry

Hi Tyler,

Access is back on for you.

No, I don't use my personal email on anything so I have no idea what's going on with that - but even our Zendesk support outgoing emails are now using my personal email address! I assume it's picking that issue up from Wordpress. As well, we're not getting any email notification when someone registers on the main site (in addition to the notifications not going out from the ecommerce subsite. The host had no additional info.

Thanks for looking into this. It's making me a tad crazy...

- Sherry

• Sherry

Hi Tyler,

The Zendesk email issue has been fixed, so disregard that. My personal address is still being used by Wordpress though. And still no notifications. Have you been able to take a look at this yet?

Thanks,

Sherry

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Sherry,

Apologies for the delay!

I just tested this on my own install on WPEngine and my emails are receiving sending without any issues.

As well, we're not getting any email notification when someone registers on the main site

Your main site isn't sending emails anymore either?

Can you try doing a plugin conflict check? Make sure that none of your plugins are conflicting. You can do this by deactivating all other plugins then running a test purchase.

Can you check your error logs in your WPEngine user panel? It should be under your installation heading on the left hand side.

You could also try changing your SMTP outgoing server with a plugin like this: https://wordpress.org/plugins/webriti-smtp-mail/

Hopefully one of those will help and if not, at least we can further narrow down the issue :slight_smile:

Look forward to hearing back Sherry!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Sherry

Hi Ari,

I did tests with both the main site's Registration Notifications, and the subsite's Marketpress Notifications and none of them appeared in the log or mail server at WP Engine. Not the notifications to admin, or to the Customer or Registrant.

What do you think is going on? The notiications generated through both PMPro (except for the main site's Registration Notifications - which I'm not sure whether they are through WP or PMPro) and Gravity Forms are working. Is that maybe a clue???

Thanks for your help, as always! :slight_smile:

Sherry

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello again @Sherry,

I was unable to replicate this issue on any of the other servers I tried... That leads me to believe that perhaps one of the other plugins you have installed there is causing a conflict that causes this...
    Could you please switch to the default twentyfourteen theme and deactivate ALL other plugins except MarketPress and test this again?
    If the emails are being sent with no other plugins installed, then start activating them one-by-one and test the emails each time so that we may pinpoint the one that's causing this conflict.
    If it still works after you re-activate your plugins, then switch back to your previous theme and test again.

Please advise,
    Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.