Marketpress not showing grid properly

I'm setting up Marketpress on my theme (Drophlio from Themeforest) and the default is showing all products in one list on the page and will not show a sidebar for widgets.

When I changed it to use GridMarket, it will show the items on a grid, but it mashes them together so the second product image is right underneath the price and 'add to cart' button on the first image.

Can anyone give me some advice on where to go so I can play with the settings and figure out why these aren't working properly?

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

Hi Mark @mark_white

Sorry for the delayed response. It is weekend, hence our response times are generally a bit longer than during the week.

A quick question Mark, did you set up the GridMarket theme as a child theme to your current theme? Reason I’m asking this is because GridMarket is already a child theme to the FrameMarket ‘platform’. FrameMarket can’t function on it’s own, but is already a theme and you can’t have two themes running together.

Look forward to your feedback and assisting further.

Enjoy your day ahead.

Gina

• camparoo
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I suspect that your Marketpress grid css needs a little bit of tweeking. The settings that come with the plugin work in some themes, but won’t work at all in others – but this is a very simple fix. Using FTP software, go to the marketpress-grid plugin folder, and open ‘grid.css’. See all of the examples below using .content? In your file, it should look like this: #content. Just change #content in all instances to .content.

open gridd.css. #content .grid div.mp_product_meta{
    clear:both;
    background:none;
    padding:0;
    margin-right:0;
    height:120px;
    }
    #content .grid h3.mp_product_name {
    padding-bottom:10px;
    text-align:center;
    margin: 0;
    }

Just like this, but for all of the css:

open gridd.css. .content .grid div.mp_product_meta{
    clear:both;
    background:none;
    padding:0;
    margin-right:0;
    height:120px;
    }
    .content .grid h3.mp_product_name {
    padding-bottom:10px;
    text-align:center;
    margin: 0;
    }

If this doesn’t work, please let me know!

• camparoo
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hey mark_white,

Another couple of quick Marketpress tips: If you want the best control of how your products display, list your products by date published (rather than by price or alphabetically). This gives you the most control on how your products are displayed. While you are ‘stuck’ with the date when you add a new product, you can then go back and edit the publish date to be whatever you want it to be.

Also, you can use inline css in product titles. Check a store page in progress (am waiting for client images) here.

As you’ll see, you can change text size, and also add padding to product titles, so all of your grid items display in a tasty way.

• Instinct
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Camparoo., I tried what you suggested and it is still doing it. Even without the marketpress-grid shortcode on the products page the layout comes out like that.

I have the 'Store Style' under presentation set to 'none' and do not have the markepress grid active and it shows the same as when I did have it added. When I used Gridmarket and use that under 'Store Style; I get the grid layout above.

If I change the style to anything else like Modern or Icons is shows it like this. The other part is that it will not show the widget sidebar in any of the settings but it will show it on the store main page, just not on the product pages.

GinaB I did have Gridmarket as a child theme to my primary one.

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

A note to @aaron

@instinct mentioned that:

I also just noticed that the category filter isn’t filtering the products.

I looked into their site (/store) where the Product Category widget has been applied on the sidebar. The filtering is not producing accurate results and I couldn’t figure out why this is happening. They have 16 products and no matter what category you select, you always get all 16 products as result.

Am I missing something @aaron?

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

@instinct

Hi Mark!!!

Grid sorted :slight_smile: Please see your email for the test link.

I installed this plugin: http://allaboutchris.org/marketpress-product-grid-shortcode-plugin/ and this solved the issue with the grid. No need to have the GridMarket theme as this grid shortcode plugin works with MarketPress and your own theme.

You can also read about this plugin here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/new-version-of-marketpress-grid-shortcode-plugin

Now all you need to do is set up the custom menu and the categories would go as pages, I guess. That’s how I made it for the example of automatics, but you can of course make it as posts as well. As long as you have a URL to add to the menu or to the store page. I would actually suggest having icons for the different categories on the /store page and then they can click on that to go to he categories.

Hope this makes your weekend!

Have fun :slight_smile:

Gina

• Instinct
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

OK, I’m not sure what kind of magical internet powers you guys have, but you’re awesome.

I swear I thought I had tried it that way, but I must have done something wrong.

GinaB and Camparoo -Thank you, thank you, thank you!

• Instinct
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Last question on this (honest)!!!

Everything is looking right so the only thing left is the Product Categories Widget. It shows on the sidebar fine but if you select, for example, automatics instead of taking you to http://rimfiredesigns.com/automatics/ where it all shows correctly it instead directs to http://rimfiredesigns.com/?product_category=3 where it doesn’t.

Any way to change this so I can get it to point correctly?

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

Hi Mark

I’ve asked the Developer to look into why this is happening, so I hope to have a solution for the categories showing incorrectly via the widget soon.

In the meantime, maybe consider using the Custom Menu widget (so creating another menu in the WP admin dashboard » Appearance » Menus) and using the categories listed in the order that you would like it to be. Yes, it’s not a drop down category filter, but at least it’s a temporary solution that you can apply for the moment. Of course you could also use tags instead of categories and see how that works for you. You would then use the Product Tag Cloud widget instead.

Well, it seems you’ve got lots to do this weekend :stuck_out_tongue: Life happens right :slight_smile: Have fun!

Gina

• Instinct
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

We will call this resolved since things are moving along for me :smiley:

Also, made my first sale today. Customer bought two sets of grips so thank you again, that sale wouldn’t have happened without the support you all have given me.

• Instinct
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

So, I was wrong. I tried using Taxonomy picker but while it will pick the right products, it shows it in the list layout which blocks the shopping sidebar widgets from showing.

Moving on to product tag clouds now.

Is there a plug in out there that will filter based on multiple criteria? Such as for my grips – Revolver, Wood, Power carved – so that it will bring back only items that have all three?

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

You know @instinct, I have not actually come across a plugin that can filter based on multiple criteria. This is something that would be really useful in your case though.

I will ask some of our support team if they have any suggestions.

Hopefully we will find a solution for you and the Developer @aaron will also be in here soon and then we will get the outstanding issues sorted as well.

Well, have fun and congrats on your first sale!

Gina

• Aaron
    • CTO

Everything is looking right so the only thing left is the Product Categories Widget. It shows on the sidebar fine but if you select, for example, automatics instead of taking you to http://rimfiredesigns.com/automatics/ where it all shows correctly it instead directs to http://rimfiredesigns.com/?product_category=3 where it doesn’t.

That is by design, and is an artifact of how the core WP dropdown categories works. However it should be loading up the same template, not sure why that is. If you change the widget to be a list instead of dropdown it should link normally and work fine for you however.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.