MarketPress. Product variations had disappeared

Last week we discovered that our product variations had disappeared. Our plan was to remove the site from one hosting space and put it onto it's own. We also put ssl on it and made it a https.

We have now re-entered the variations three times. We have isolated this site because we believed our other environment had been compromised. I do not know why this has happened.

I can tell that before I started to add another page, product and event for a new workshop that we are offering at around 2 everything was good.
I've added the new page product and event for women's specific - Advanced skills and standards and it seemingly has all been lost.
Any thoughts? I have enabled support on the site.

• Nahid

Hey Matt !
    Hope you are having a great day!

I took a look into your site and can't see any variations in any of the products indeed. Just to replicate the issue, I created a test page with the MarketPress buy button shortcode (mp_buy_button) and a test event integrated to a test product with two variations. These are private posts and are only visible to Editors and Administrators. Here are the links to them so you can take a look:
    Test Event: https://works****.org/events/2017/12/wpmu-dev-test-event/
    Test Product: https://works****.org/store/products/wpmu-dev-test-product/
    Test Page: https://works****.org/wpmu-dev-test-page/

Just for clarification, when variations are added to the products, are they lost immediately once you save the product or does that take some time? Since my ones were not lost immediately, I'd assume it takes some time for now.

Could you let me know by responding to this ticket if the variations of the test product I created are lost as well? If they disappear, please do the following actions for me as well:

1. Enable Debug: Enabling debug in WordPress could help us determining the source of the issue. To enable debug, you can follow this handy guide. After enabling debug, please try to re-create the variations and replicate the issue again. If a debug.log file is generated in the /wp-content/ folder, please upload the file to a cloud storage platform like Dropbox and attach the link to it in your next response.

2. Set up a Staging Site: If possible, please set up a staging site for us to do some intensive tests which might involve keeping all the other plugins deactivated, switching themes and keeping the site like this until the variations disappear again. You can do so by following this guide.

3. Provide Server Credentials: For further troubleshooting, we might need to check out your files and database. In that case, please provide your FTP/cPanel credentials along with database/ credentials (if cPanel credentials is not provided already). You can send that privately through our secure contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

Send in:

Subject: "Attn: Nahid Mohit"
    -FTP/cPanel credentials (host/username/password)
    -database/PHPMYADMIN credentials (if cPanel credentials is not provided already)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

I'll be looking forward to hearing back from you. Thanks!

Best,
    Nahid

• Matt

Product Variations are lost over time. We setup a staging site that still has all the variables in it when the live site seems to disappear over time with no real reason as to why. One thing we did try doing is I took an export of the products from this staging site and then tried importing them into the live site and it did not bring over all the product variations which I would think it would.

dev.workshops.pa.org is the dev site where workshops.pa.org is the live site.

Successfully sent message with credentials. Also for debug mode, are you just talking about in the wp-config file setting that to true? or is this a setting in your dashboard somewhere.

• Dimitris

Hello there Matt,

hope you're doing good today and please excuse our delayed response here!

I've tried to further troubleshoot this, but I wasn't able to find anything that could reveal the source of this. I've already contacted our Second Level Support guys, who will further troubleshoot this by adding some checkpoints in order to track and log and actions made when variations are getting deleted.

As this doesn't happening in the staging environment, they're going to use the live site for these checks, so they could replicate the issue. Please keep a full backup of your website, so we could restore it and bring everything back, if needed.

About products' import/export, native WP importer can't be used successfully, as MarketPress is storing data in custom tables in database. This is a feature request made already in our developers, hopefully we'll get this implemented, but for the time being this would need some custom work.
    Having said that, I think that both live and dev sites now have the same products, including variations.
    Am I missing something here? Have you restore to a previous state? Or is this happening with a specific product that I miss? Please advise!

Warm regards,
    Dimitris :slight_smile:

• Panos

Hi Matt ,

This is weird. Variations are stored in posts table with post type "mp_product_variation". MarketPress deletes variations only in one function : "MP_Products_Screen->save_inline_variation_post_data".

It's very possible this has happened from some other action, eg from a different plugin, custom changes in db.

I can add some logging there to print in a log file what is being deleted with WordPress core function wp_delete_post. But in case these are being deleted from other action we won't be able to locate that.

Please let me know if you would like me to add this error logging on your live site. It would require to keep error logging active in wp-config.php until this issue happens again.

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.