marketpress - purchase processed, but no download link was sent to customer

I just setup my marketpress plugin on ritalux.com - I made a purchase using my friend's Google Checkout, the payment has been FULLY PROCESSED, but they didn't get a download link to download the file.

The status of the order in Marketpress is as follows:

Closed: April 11, 2012 - 6:08 am
Shipped: April 11, 2012 - 6:08 am
Paid: April 11, 2012 - 5:17 am
Received: April 11, 2012 - 5:01 am

Still, no download link was sent to them - just notifications from GOOGLE CHECKOUT.

When we created the product, we added a link to the file in the FILE URL section... Did we miss something?

Can anyone help me figure out why this isn't working?

• aecnu

Greetings ritalux,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

When we created the product, we added a link to the file in the FILE URL section... Did we miss something?

Can anyone help me figure out why this isn't working?

Considering your description of how you added the file link, it appears that it was not done correctly.

You must upload the file using the facility that is provided in the Product Details --> Product Download section (screen shot below)

Please advise how it goes after adding the download correctly.

Cheers, Joe

• ritalux

That's where we put it... On our first trial, the buyer didn't get any emails from the admin email set in MP. On the second try, we got the email that comes in after purchase and another that comes in after the charge has succeeded. Even then, it just wasn't clear in the shipping email that is sent out to the buyer that they needed to go to the TRACKINGURL (variable) to download.

Is there not a variable to use for the order-ID download link?

ORDERIDDOWNLOADLINK ?

I think something like that would be very useful. I'm curious if other ecommerce plugins have that capability.

• aecnu

Greetings ritalux,

I have done some serious testing and found the following:

a) That I was presented a download link in the browser but that is it, and it did work.

b) I received to the admin email a description of the purchase including the download link.

c) I never received a shipping email (test customer) but this is probably due to shipping being off.

Even then, it just wasn't clear in the shipping email that is sent out to the buyer that they needed to go to the TRACKINGURL (variable) to download.

Could you please advise what setting produced a shipping email to the client?

Maybe I need to turn the shipping on?

I ask because I am trying to reproduce this portion.

Cheers, Joe

• ritalux

a) That I was presented a download link in the browser but that is it, and it dd work.

In the buyer's email, there is no link to download, just a link to the TRACKINGURL.

Then, the download link IS next to the purchased item, but there is no option to send that link in the email.

Is this clear?

b) I received to the admin email a description of the purchase including the download link.

What? I'm not sure what you mean by this... Are you saying that you're receiving an email to the admin email set in MP?

The issue is that, for a digital download, a direct link to the download isn't being sent to the buyer/customer in our tests.

c) I never received a shipping email (test customer) but this is probably due to shipping being off.

I don't see an option to turn shipping ON or OFF. The emails that a buyer currently receives are:

First an email as soon as the order is placed that says a payment is in process...

SUBJECT: Your Order Confirmation (ORDERID)

Thank you for your order CUSTOMERNAME!

Your order has been received, and any items to be shipped will be processed as soon as possible. Please refer to your Order ID (ORDERID) whenever contacting us.

Here is a confirmation of your order details:

Order Information:
    ORDERINFO

Shipping Information:
    SHIPPINGINFO

Payment Information:
    PAYMENTINFO

ORDERNOTES

You can track the latest status of your order here: TRACKINGURL

Thanks again!

This comes after the payment has been completely processed (automatically by Google Checkout). However, in the ORDERINFO variable, it says that the payment is not completed, and this is incorrect. This email was sent automatically by MP about 15 min after the order was placed...

Your Order Has Been Shipped! (ORDERID)

Dear CUSTOMERNAME,

Your download is ready! Please go to TRACKINGURL and click on "Download" next to your item(s).

Order Information:
    ORDERINFO

Thanks again!

We changed the above Shipping email template to make it more clear that there was a download link next to the items.

These messages are configured in:

http://YOURSITE.com/wp-admin/edit.php?post_type=product&page=marketpress&tab=messages

• aecnu

Greetings ritalux,

I think we are having a communication problem since the fact of the matter is that I was confirming what seems to be several problems in my last post, and it is my opinion that you are thinking that I am claiming that there is no problem from the content of your last post.

I did give an accurate account to my test.

The only thing positive in my test relative to your ticket is:
    a) That I was presented a download link in the browser but that is it, and it did work.

The rest is not good news and I was trying to figure out your settings so that I can try to replicate them.
    To this moment well over an hour later, the test buyer has not received an email - this is a problem for me to figure out the download link to the purchaser in an email which I am not getting.

So I asked how you were getting them i.e. Could you please advise what setting produced a shipping email to the client?

In the buyer's email, there is no link to download, just a link to the TRACKINGURL.

The test buyer is not getting an email in my install, this is why i asked what I did and therefore cannot check into getting a link into an email that does not come.

Are you saying that you're receiving an email to the admin email set in MP?

Yes

The issue is that, for a digital download, a direct link to the download isn't being sent to the buyer/customer in our tests.

Understood, but I was just pointing out that I am not getting the email at all in which I am trying to trigger so I can confirm the lack of a download URL and then I can contact the developer with the finding.

I don't see an option to turn shipping ON or OFF

Site admin dashboard --> Products --> Store Settings --> Shipping Tab (screen shot)

So my first goal here is to figure out why I am not getting a test buyer email and that is what I was asking you about to what settings you had chosen to invoke a shipping email that you are getting.

I will get back to you on this once I have found why I am not receiving the test buyer emails.

Cheers, Joe

• ritalux

So I asked how you were getting them i.e. Could you please advise what setting produced a shipping email to the client?

Site admin dashboard --> Products --> Store Settings --> Shipping Tab (screen shot)

Shipping is set to: FLAT RATE

This might make more sense... If the shipping method is set to none, no SHIPPING email will be sent out. This may have been the case as, in our first test, there was NO emails, then I must have changed the setting before the second test where we did get emails.

But, this could be solved by addressing a much bigger issue: currently, there is no differentiation between digital download products and physical products in terms of communicating with the buyer.

Our site will eventually have both digital downloads and physical prints (which will be mailed). It would make a lot of sense to have a distinction between digital download products and physical products - especially in regards to delivery/shipping message templates that are sent to the buyer.

Right now is that there is only one template to be sent to a user after a product is purchased and it says:

Your Order Has Been Shipped! (ORDERID)

Now, I have changed this to:

Your Order Is Ready To Download! (ORDERID)

Dear CUSTOMERNAME,

Your download is ready! Please go to TRACKINGURL and click on "Download" next to your item(s).

Order Information:
    ORDERINFO

Thanks again!
  • aecnu

Greetings ritalux,

Thank you for your great feedback which is greatly appreciated.

But, this could be solved by addressing a much bigger issue: currently, there is no differentiation between digital download products and physical products in terms of communicating with the buyer.

Absolutely agree.

Our site will eventually have both digital downloads and physical prints (which will be mailed). It would make a lot of sense to have a distinction between digital download products and physical products - especially in regards to delivery/shipping message templates that are sent to the buyer.

I once again completely agree with you and your observation.

To get this possibly handled in the most expedient way, but at the same time it is almost certain to take longer then a normal ticket, is to move this ticket to the Feature Requests section and to alert the lead developer of Market Press plugin of this request of ours :slight_smile:

This would in my opinion certainly be a large improvement in the way customers are handled especially regarding digital downloads while at the same time avoid confusion with the "trace" URL and the "download URL".

Great call on this one!

Cheers, Joe

• Aaron

Direct download links are included in all emails when possible, populated in the ORDERINFO code.

The caveat is they are only included if the order status is not "Received" (confirmed paid) at the time of the email.

In the first email, it depends on the gateway and payment method whether the order is confirmed paid at the point of creation. Google Checkout does not. They do things weird and the owner has to manually authorize/capture payment, then MP has to wait for the API to contact if via it's callback url, etc. So you won't ever see the links in the initial email with that gateway.

However, whenever the status is marked shipped, the shipped email will be sent out and that will always contain the links as the shipped is one status after paid. Also if you have a downloads only cart, payment confirmation from the gateway will always jump to the shipped status and send the email automatically.

• webcrafter

Again I apologize for bringing back an older post, I did feel it was better to add to this rather than grunge up the forums with a new thread on the same topic.

I have just installed MarketPress, I have made products and attached files. PayPal express is the gateway and I am not getting sent a link to the file to download, and there is no link on the follow transaction page. This is the same before and after shipping with shipping both turned off, and turned on to flat rate, below is the email about that confirmation of order and the shipment of order...

Order Confirmation

Thank you for your order Brad Jones!

Your order has been received, and any items to be shipped will be processed as soon as possible. Please refer to your Order ID (7e6d07ed85f6) whenever contacting us.

Order Information:
    Items:
    Granny Stew Track 07 "Skrankin" Full Version: 1 * 0.99 = 0.99 USD

Order Total: 0.99 USD

Shipping Information:
    Full Name: Brad Jones
    Address: 568 Cross Creek Rd
    City: Lakeland
    State/Province/Region: GA
    Postal/Zip Code: 31635

Payment Information:
    Payment Method: PayPal
    Payment Type: PayPal balance, Credit Card, or Instant Transfer Transaction ID: 48M13884LM899652H Payment Total: 0.99 USD

Your payment for this order is complete.

You can track the latest status of your order here: http://www.mudcreekmusic.net/store/order-status/7e6d07ed85f6/

Thanks again!

Shipment of Order

Dear Brad Jones,

Your order has been shipped! Depending on the shipping method and your location it should be arriving shortly. Please refer to your Order ID (986f42a9b1c6) whenever contacting us.

Order Information:
    Items:
    Granny Stew Track 07 "Skrankin" Full Version: 1 * 0.99 = 0.99 USD

Order Total: 0.99 USD

Shipping Information:
    Full Name: Brad Jones
    Address: 568 Cross Creek Rd
    City: Lakeland
    State/Province/Region: GA
    Postal/Zip Code: 31635

Payment Information:
    Payment Method: PayPal
    Payment Type: PayPal balance, Credit Card, or Instant Transfer Transaction ID: 6MS97135LA0183835 Payment Total: 0.99 USD

Your payment for this order is complete.

You can track the latest status of your order here: http://www.mudcreekmusic.net/store/order-status/986f42a9b1c6/

Thanks again!

What is it I am missing, I attached the file to the product when I put it in, do I need to make a manual link somehow in my response template?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.