Marketpress Show Brands with no product yet?

I am designing a site for a boutique and I would like to list all of the brands they carry but they have not added any products yet. I am trying to have a page that is 'shop by brand' using the shortcode mp_list_categories but it says no categories even though there are brands created. I know the default is hide_empty true and I want to change it to false but where?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings tonihamel,

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

pcwriter once again comes through! some rep points for you sir.

The suggestions he gave are spot on. But realistically thinking, look at the trouble you have gone though because there were no categories for example.

Many people have trouble due to wondering why something does not work and want a fix for something that is not broken. i.e. in this case lack of categories - it would seem logical to simply add categories rather then go through all the trouble of finding a work around.

Thanks to both of you for being WPMU Dev members!

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi aecnu,

The problem tonihamel was facing was not the absence of categories, but rather the absence of products within the categories she had already created. She wanted to have all the categories (ie: brands) display, whether products had been assigned to them or not.

Oh, and thanks for the points!

• tonihamel
    • Flash Drive

Thanks. I added the plugin "shortcodes in sidebar widgets" and was able to execute it then. I tried it in a regular text widget without the plugin and it generated errors. The plugin helped perfectly.

Thanks again for all your help. I gave you some rep points. :smiley:

• tonihamel
    • Flash Drive

@aecnu, I didn't think there was a plugin problem, just couldn't figure out how to make the shortcode do what I knew it could. The client wanted to see how all the brands would look on a page as well as widget but hasn't had time to add products yet. This solution was perfect and they are happy with the results. :slight_smile: Thanks again.

• tonihamel
    • Flash Drive

Hi all, this solution has worked for a while now and since updating market press it is now generating the following error:
    Catchable fatal error: Object of class WP_Error could not be converted to string in /home/content/49/2115249/html/wp-includes/formatting.php on line 2583

Anyone??

• tonihamel
    • Flash Drive

In addition, I am using a Genesis child theme and I have read there were issues before, however, it worked perfectly until the update. I have switched to Twenty Twelve and the shortcode shows the only category with a product but not listing the other product brands like before.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings tonihamel,

Thank you for pointing out this ticket in which has the history of this issue within and I closed the other ticket to consolidate.

With that said and what was happening then versus now:

Catchable fatal error: Object of class WP_Error could not be converted to string in /home/content/49/2115249/html/wp-includes/formatting.php on line 2583

it worked perfectly until the update

Which update are you referring to? Market Press? WordPress? Or?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• tonihamel
    • Flash Drive

The latest update to Marketpress and Genesis were done at the same time. After that, the category short code started generating that error. When I use the marketpress 'product categories' widget it pulls from the blog category and not the product category. When I change it to twenty twelve and use the mp_list_categories short code, only one brand shows and it also pulls from the blog and not product. It's very strange and I am confused.

• tonihamel
    • Flash Drive

Ok, upon further inspection, I put the wrong widget for categories, but the MP Product Categories only shows the one brand that has products listed - going back to the original topic of being able to show all brand names even when no product is there yet.

• tonihamel
    • Flash Drive

Correct. I have not made any changes to market press core but the product categories became broken going from 2.7 to 2.8.1,3,5. I reverted back to 2.7 and the categories come back. As soon as I update to 2.8.1 the categories are lost. So I kept going with each update to see if there was a big fix or anything. Nothing. Client wants grid view so I have it on the latest version but need to fix the categories now.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings tonihamel,

Thank you for the additional input and clarification and considering your last post I indeed see where you are coming from and have no idea (not being a coder) what in the new version is knocking out these categories.

With that said and in an effort to get to the bottom of this, I will indeed flag the Chief lead developer in here so he may possibly shed some light on why:

MP Product Categories only shows the one brand that has products listed - going back to the original topic of being able to show all brand names even when no product is there yet.

Thank you for your demonstrated patience and I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.