MarketPress – single user can create multiple orders and pay for them with one checkout

Hi there,

I hope someone can help me. I am building a website for a client with MarketPress. As my title suggests, I need to allow someone to build a order, but then before going to the shipping/payment details page, they have the option to save their order and go build another order with a new order ID. Then when they go to checkout, they can pay for both.

I noticed that one of the order status is: ‘received’, so is there some way to use this to save an order?

In order to show what I want, it’s probably best if you have a look and follow the user journey at:

http://myssdev.screencandy.co.uk/

1. The user is able to select a school from the list.

2. The user then chooses a class from a second list (you can choose ‘year 5’ for an example)

3. This creates a list of items for that school and class.

4. The user can add some of these items to the cart.

5. Also at this stage, I want the user to attach a the child’s name to the order as well.

6. Now, when they click the ‘Checkout’ they can see a full ist of all items in their current cart.

7. At this stage, I want the user to be able to either ‘Save order’ or ‘Proceed to checkout’.

7a) If they save the order the order gets the child’s name and school attached, and the user goes back to the start of the process where they can create another order.

7b) Else if they ‘Checkout’ they will get to the shipping page, and can check out for the total cost of all their orders so far unpaid.

Is this possible? Can you give me any pointers? How much would your developer quote for custom building this for me!?!?

Hope you can help…

Neil

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Neil,

This is a very interesting order flow you have chosen which will indeed require custom coding.

Is this possible?

Anything is possible as long as you have the idea and it can be applied.

Can you give me any pointers?

Though I have no pointers myself other then I will try and get the invaluable advice of our lead developer in here with his thoughts on the subject.

How much would your developer quote for custom building this for me!?!?

To the best of my knowledge WPMU Dev does not do custom coding per say, you could see if there’s a developer available at wpmu jobs who could get onto it right this minute.

With all that said, lets see what our lead developer may have in mind for accomplishing this task and a possible solution or tips that I have not thought of. Though this may take longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

• Aaron
    • CTO

This is not at all possible with MarketPresses current design. You cannot “save” orders then come back and pay for them using a gateway later.

Using the manual payments gateway people could create the orders and they’ll be marked as recieved. No way to view and continue checkout after they are created. It’s probably possible with just a custom gateway, that’s a lot of custom development though. You’ll need to hire a skilled developer.

• neilsayers
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks Aaron.

Looks like I might have to go back to the drawing board on this one…

As an alternative, would it be possible to attach some extra data to a product as it is added to the shopping cart? For example, each time I click ‘add to cart’ the product would get a ‘school’ and ‘name’ attached to their meta.

That way, the user could add all the items for the first child to the cart, then add more items for the second child to the same cart, and pay them together…

However, in the admin ‘manage orders’ page, the site owner would see an extra column to show the meta ‘child’ and ‘school’ that each product was for?

I basically just need some way to let the admins know where each product should be sent to.

Am I asking too much?!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.