MarketPress Store vs. MarketPlace Page on Main Site

Hi all, thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I've searched but can't find any related topics.

I'm setting up a new network with a global marketplace (SimpleMarket theme) and have encountered the following issues...

1. I am unable to edit the /market page I have assigned as the global Marketplace Base. The page displays products from sub-site stores (only one so far), but no content I add to that page gets displayed. There is not even an Edit link at the top of the Market page, and any edits I make from the admin, do not show on the page.

2. I guess I was expecting for the global Marketplace page to be assigned Products, Cart and Status sub-pages like the Store page does on any given site. But I'm not sure I want to confuse visitors with a Store page and Marketplace page on the main site anyway.

What best practices can MarketPress users suggest for setting up a global marketplace on the main site where they also have a store?

I'm considering just deleting the Market page and including the mp_list_global_products shortcode on the main site's Store page. If I do this could I safely change the main site store's base url to /market?

• aecnu

Greetings jcnjr,

1. I am unable to edit the /market page I have assigned as the global Marketplace Base. The page displays products from sub-site stores (only one so far), but no content I add to that page gets displayed. There is not even an Edit link at the top of the Market page, and any edits I make from the admin, do not show on the page.

That is how this was originally designed was to be similar Network theme pulling in posts from the networks within or like the BuddyPress Community theme that allows one to pull in people from within there communities but only showing one of each as with the Market Press store front of stores.

2. I guess I was expecting for the global Marketplace page to be assigned Products, Cart and Status sub-pages like the Store page does on any given site. But I'm not sure I want to confuse visitors with a Store page and Marketplace page on the main site anyway.

They must pick a store then they get redirected to the store having the products from within from which to choose.

I'm considering just deleting the Market page and including the mp_list_global_products shortcode on the main site's Store page. If I do this could I safely change the main site store's base url to /market?

I do not know about changing the main sites url, but why not have on the front page of the main store the short codes as you suggested, do you want to have where the clients are redirected away from the main sites front page to a second level to access the listing of sites?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• jcnjr

That is how this was originally designed

So you're telling me this page (/market) cannot be edited? If that is the case, can the Market page be deleted from Pages in the admin?

do you want to have where the clients are redirected away from the main sites front page to a second level to access the listing of sites?

Not necessary. Based on answer to my question above I'll just combine the main site Store page w/ marketplace listings using the global shortcode.

It's just unclear if deleting the Market page or assigning /market slug to the main site store will muck up the works. Guess I'll give it a try...

• jcnjr

Sorry, I could have chimed in again sooner too...

With the SimpleMarket theme auto populating /market with global store items as you describe, I plan to just add network wide products to the main site's /store page using the MP shortcode. Changing the slug to /market would cause the same result I originally described so I will just kepp the slug as /store and change the Menu label.

Thanks for asking, just marked topic as resolved. Hopefully this info will help others confused about any /market page when using SimpleMarket. Perhaps an explanation is due on the Theme's install instructions.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.