Marketpress suggestions, bug reports and questions

Hi,

I have been working on localizing Marketpress for Finland and in the process I have found a few bugs and come up with a couple of suggestions. Overall, I like how easy and simple it is to use for the shopkeeper and heartily recommend people to try it out.

First a couple of small bugs.

- There are some phrase that just seem not to get translated. This is a common problem with other plugins too where for some reason the textdomain was not available at that point. These fields are "Enter Product title here" and "Product Image" when adding a new product page.

- The state field is not something we have a use for here and it is confusing to the customers.

- The email filters (filter_email) that convert CUSTOMERID etc was not working for me and I ended up receiving unfiltered forms of the order confirmations sent to the customer. This was using manual payments.

Then some suggestions that I think make a lot of sense to multisite configurations. Currently, there are a lot of options that remain available to individual site administrators to configure and there is no apparent way to set defaults and hide some of the options there. Here is are some things I would like to set as a network administrator only:

- Country. None of the site owners ever need to change this and I would like to have it stick to my locale.
- Tax. Similar reasons here. It also seems to be the case that tax altogether is never shown to the shop customers and all price are shown with the tax inclusive in EU.
- Currency settings. No need for anyone to change as all payments are processed in Euros.
- Themes. I don't want to offer options here. Also, the ads for themes are going to be confusing to the shopkeepers.
- Settings with product listing and pages and how buttons behave. I was to offer a consistant experience across the multiuser site.
- Importers. The shopkeepers will not be importing anything.

It would also be really nice if there was an option for the shopping cart widget to hide itself when the cart is empty. Right now empty cart provides a link to the products, but that just takes space on the sidebar.

I would also +1 for a one page checkout or cutting down steps some and having that as a configuration option.

And now for questions and your opinions.
- Is there a simple way to add customer profiles where customers could check in their interests (electronics, travel etc)?
- I would like to enable to individual shopkeepers to send newsletters to their customers. Can I integrate the e-Newsletter plugin functionality to take advantage of the customer data from Marketpress or do I have to force them to register on site as subscribers?
- Is there a recommended plugin that would allow shopkeepers to hold auctions (and without any conceptual or technical conflicts with Marketpress)
- Somewhat less in the scope of Marketpress, but I would also be interested in an event calendar for multiuser where individual site admins could publish events that get syndicated into a sitewide calendar?

Thanks,
Jouni

• Philip John

Hiya!

I guess most of your feedback comes down to more granular control of how the plugin behaves on sub-sites when network activated. Many of our plugins provide options for hiding certain elements in sub-sites so this is something to look at with MarketPress.

I'll pass your feedback onto the developer and ask him to look at the translation issue especially.

As for your questions....

Is there a simple way to add customer profiles where customers could check in their interests (electronics, travel etc)?

As it's purely an e-commerce tool, no. But BuddyPress is recommended for adding social features.

I would like to enable to individual shopkeepers to send newsletters to their customers. Can I integrate the e-Newsletter plugin functionality to take advantage of the customer data from Marketpress or do I have to force them to register on site as subscribers?

e-Newsletter doesn't allow per-site e-mail lists I'm afraid. Instead, you might want to look at MailChimp or Subscribe by E-mail as the closest alternatives.

Is there a recommended plugin that would allow shopkeepers to hold auctions (and without any conceptual or technical conflicts with Marketpress)

I wouldn't be able to confidently recommend any auction plugin having never looked into any, but I'll ask my colleagues if they can recommend anything.

Somewhat less in the scope of Marketpress, but I would also be interested in an event calendar for multiuser where individual site admins could publish events that get syndicated into a sitewide calendar?

Other than our BuddyPress Group Calendar we don't have anything like that although we are working on an events plugin.

Cheers,
    Phil

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.