MarketPress themes children themes

Hello
please have questions
1: one i want know what is MarketPress children themes and how can i get the children themes on my site?
2: how can a user who want to build online store easily get access to children theme on my maltisite and make use of it with easy?
3: i want to build a maltisite for users to be able to build online stores, which plugins and themes will i use to achieve this without struggle?

• Tyler Postle

Hi there Donrich,

Hope you're doing well today!

1: one i want know what is MarketPress children themes and how can i get the children themes on my site?

We've developed MarketPress to work with any theme that follows WP standards, so you don't need to use our FrameMarket legacy theme; however, I'm assuming that is what you are wanting to do here?

If so, then our usage guide explains this a little further: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/frame-market-theme/#usage

The FrameMarket theme's child theme is called "GridMarket", you will find it inside the FrameMarket folder via:

/wp-content/themes/framemarket/themes/gridmarket/

You will want to copy that gridmarket folder over to:

/wp-content/themes/gridmarket/

Then you should see GridMarket as a new theme in your WordPress dashboard theme selection and can activate it :slight_smile:

2: how can a user who want to build online store easily get access to children theme on my maltisite and make use of it with easy?

Once you have done the above process then any admin user on your network will be able to select that GridMarket child theme for their site.

3: i want to build a maltisite for users to be able to build online stores, which plugins and themes will i use to achieve this without struggle?

Here's some plugins that I think will make this process a lot easier for you:

MarketPress: You already know of this one.

Pro Sites: This will let you control access to plugins/themes, other functions and then allow you to charge your members to gain different levels of access/features.

New Blog Templates: Lets you pre-setup a template that will be applied to your new users sites or you they can select which template they want during sign up.

WP Smush Pro: This is a good general plugin to have as it will optimize all the images uploaded to your network. Helps reduce the amount of resources your network uses and speeds up all sites load times.

That should definitely give you a good start. If you have any further questions just let us know.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• donrich

Yea that's cool!
    Please can you help with any video tutorial on how to create New Blog Templates: so that user can have a default theme or choose from our templates while signing up!
    I need more information special with videos about how to create template so that users can easily choose one and headway in easy way.
    Do i need to log out to create the site that will house the template and can one site house how many templates?

• Tyler Postle

Hey donrich,

I don't have any videos for this, but I can explain how it will work once you have it installed and activated :slight_smile:

1. Setup a subsite exactly how you want your sign up template to look.

2. Go to your network admin > Blog Templates > go down to "Create New Blog Template"

3. Fill in what you want the name of your template to be and then search for the subsite you created in step #1.

Add in a template description(optional) and then click the "Create a Blog Template" button.

4. You will then be brought to a page to select what you want your template to include

Select all the elements/content you want the template to include when someone selects it at signup and you can also change the template screenshot too - by default it will use the thumbnail of the theme you have active on the site.

Then you are all done :slight_smile:

Now to get it to show up on the sign up page you want to go to:

Blog Templates > Settings.

Select the checkbox for the very first option: "Show templates selection on registration".

Do i need to log out to create the site that will house the template and can one site house how many templates?

Your templates will be subsites on your network so you can stay logged into your network as super admin and create as many templates as you like.

Hope this helps! If you still have further questions just let us know.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Hey Donrich,

1: does it mean i need to create one template per one subsite? like one subsite for eCommerce template and another subsite for blog template!

That's correct. So your template is a subsite. This means you can direct them to that subsite to view your template too. It acts as a demo. You would want to use a new subsite for each template you make.

why is it that i cant download Farms 133 theme pack?

All the themes come zipped on in one big file, you can download here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/farms-133-theme-pack/

You want to click the download link beside the install button. I've attached a screenshot to illustrate.

***Keep in mind that the farms 133 pack is a legacy theme pack, meaning we are no longer updating it and it's a totally as-is product. So you may want to focus on just using our Upfront themes instead :slight_smile: they are the future of themes at WPMU DEV.

how do use upfront theme?

Could you create a new ticket for this here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/#question

include as many details as you can on what you are having trouble with too. Then we can provide more accurate assistance :slight_smile:

Also, you can check our Upfront tutorials on our blog here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/tag/upfront/

Recommend starting with this one: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/upfront-basics/

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Oops sorry! I missed that one.

2: u stumble to a template online and i would like to upload on my net work, how do i upload it on my network?

You would need to recreate it as a subsite on your network. If the template was just the default look of a WordPress theme then all you would need to do is use that theme on a subsite, but if the template is an already customized theme, then you would need to do the same customizations on one of your subsites to make it into your own template.

If you have further questions on that just let us know.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• donrich

Am really finding it hard to customize gridmarket theme on my subsite, what am try to do is to add slide and add products so that the site could look like an online shop!
    but hope is possible for subsite admin to be able to customize gridmarket like ebay.com home page?
    if that is possible were is the tools or plugins i need to achieve that?
    why is it that gridmarket doesn't have tools like upfront?

• Tyler Postle

Hey Donrich,

FrameMarket/Gridmarket are one of our legacy themes. So they aren't supported by Upfront. All of our legacy themes we have kept available as many members still like them; however, they will only be receiving security updates from now on.

All of our theme development time is going into Upfront and Upfront's child themes :slight_smile: so you may want to switch over to Upfront instead.

A subsite admin could customize GridMarket too, subsite admins will have all the same theme customization capability as the super admin except it will be restricted to their site only, they can't make changes on anyone elses sites.

what am try to do is to add slide and add products so that the site could look like an online shop!

GridMarket doesn't come with a slider but you could use this plugin here: https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/ml-slider/

Then the products should show up automatically after you create them :slight_smile:

Look forward to hearing back.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

The child themes for Upfront are the main themes you see: Spirit, Scribe, Parrot, Fixer, Luke and Sara, and Panino.

Upfront is the parent theme :slight_smile:

You can install all the child themes via our WPMU DEV Dashboard by going to:

WPMU DEV > Themes.

Or you can download the theme .zip files from their project pages: https://premium.wpmudev.org/projects/category/themes/

When you install the first Upfront child theme on your site it will automatically install the parent theme as well, so we've just made the whole parent/child theme installation more automated with Upfront.

when will upfront theme have a market theme like market press theme

We don't have an ETA for this yet, but hopefully within the first quarter of 2016 :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.