Marketpress: Tooooo many individual product variations - need recommended alternative

I am fairly new to Marketpress. This is in fact my first paying client. He makes these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlfmQb9MBWU

They come in different materials, colors and number of balls.

I have entered in the different variations of the product and the MarketPress plugin returned me a list of roughly 150 individual line items of variations for me to change prices, images etc. This is an impossible feat to request of my client.

Product variations like this are handled much more simply on eBay, Magento and other platforms.

I need guidance on where in your software I can accommodate this issue. Perhaps some kind of separate product called Buttons and Body's and Balls which could be brought together as one product.

Please see this marketpress screen video I have taken which makes clear my problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW7a-cik1F0

What sayeth the group ?

Jay
CompuMatter

• Luís

Hi Jay ,

Hope you're doing well today!

Unfortunately I am not seeing a way to overcome this. The product have a lot of variations and if you need to set a different image and price for each variation, we don't have an alternative way, I think.

If there is no change in the price, maybe you can remove some variations, adding some information in the content to add the color/material (as an example) in the checkout, using a " Special Instructions Field?" (Store Settings -> General)?

Cheers, Luís

• Jay

Luis,

Thank you for responding to this. I have since found this is a commonly requested feature from many users over many years of MarketPress. It leaves me wondering if serious development for this plugin is on the back burner. A compound or bundled product must be considered required for any shopping cart that as an eye on a long lasting future. I have found this product http://www.wpeasycart.com/ which costs 80.00 one time with zero monthlies that seems to do this very well. I did not want to leave MarketPress. I like what you guys are doing and have been a member for a while now. I just have no choice under the circumstances. If you have a better idea I'm all ears

The suggestion I remove some of my clients variations and use some creative hack with special instructions field is not really a"long term solution for multiple clients over a long term". It may allow me to cludge through this one client but that's not a solution my business can recommend ongoing. I need something that is made in advance to handle products with perhaps up to 5 variations.

Thanks.

Jay

• Jay

Well, it turns out that wpeasycart is not multi-site capable. So that one's out the window.

My important question remains. Is there a roadmap for Marketpress that includes handling more than a few variations in a more comprehensive fashion ? I have found this WPMUDEV post from back in 2011 https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/how-to-do-multiple-product-options-variations-in-marketpress which is really offering a somewhat similar solution to the problems I have today. It is making me feel MarketPress is back burner software.

A robust method of handling variations is a standard need and I would really look forward to an assessment of the timetable for such a addition if at all planned.

Thanks.

Jay

• Luís

Hi Jay ,

Hope you're doing well today!

Firstly, I would like to apologize the extreme delay in the reply and all the problems it may have caused.

I don't have too much experience with Woocommerce, from what I tested, it have some "extra" features to deal with a "variation" product, but the "basic" functionality is the same, if I am not missing something.

Combining multiple "attributes" will create a variation for each one.

I.E: If we have an attribute called Size (S, M, L) and another Color (Blue, Red) it will create a variation to each one: Red S, Red M, Red L, Blue S, Blue M, Blue L.

However, I've just moved this over to our Features and Feedback section, so the developers give an extra attention to this feature in order to find a better way to deal with this.

Cheers, Luís

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.