Marketpress VS WPEcommerce

Hey guys,

I am wanting to start a WP multisite shopping site. I am still trying to decide which ecommerce plugin to use.

On the one hand I am really keen to use MarketPress for all it's multisite support. On the other hand I also like WP Ecommerce as it has such a crazy following and there are ALOT of themes built for it.

Now I know there are more and more themes being built for Marketpress but some of the WP Ecommerce themes are just so beautiful by comparison. At the end of the day, users like pretty sites :slight_smile:

Also there are so many payment gateways developed for WP ecommerce, so that is another compelling reason for me to go that route. I know I can develop a custom payment gateway for MarketPress, but I just don't have the time (or money) to do it.

So.... is there a post somewhere out there (i have searched google with no luck) that compares apples with apples btw MarketPress and WP Ecommerce? I need to make this decision quite soon and need all the help I can get from the community. Anyone who has used both and can give me their opinions on the good and bad of both plugins? Maybe a post can be written based on all these findings on WPMU.org?

thanks
Brad

• Philip John

Hiya Brad!

Honestly, a lot of this will come down to personal preference. However, this article does go into some of the differences between the two.

Here are some of my thoughts on top of that;
    - MP may be missing a few features (like extra gateways) but that's merely due to the age of it in comparison
    - extra features require purchasing add-ons in eCommerce whereas you get everything out of the box with MP
    - we're planning on adding more and more themes for MarketPress and of course any competent designer/developer can create awesome themes for MP giving you ultimate flexibility.
    - MP already has hooks so you can add your own extensions and members are free to provide extensions they make either free or at a cost

Phil

• Saunt Valerian

I experimented with WPEC last year sometime and tried to integrate it into an existing site (I was using the Suffusion theme). It gave me such a headache trying to get all the squares into round holes that I gave up and went with something else (I was only selling an ebook, but went with eJunkie for it).

I'm not using MP on a multisite and I really do think it is a superior product out of the box, despite its youth. The main thing is its ability to fit into a theme easily. In my niche, over the last month I've seen a lot of people deploying sites with WPEC on them and they are struggling to get all the bits and pieces setup. The sites look back, don't work and complete pages are missing. MarketPress works, easily and right away. I do recommend it over WPEC.

The primary ecommerce gateways are there (the two main ones being PayPal for small business and Authorize.net for more established ones - there are others too).

The great thing about MarketPress is that it works generally when turn it on with pretty much any theme. The same can't be said for WPEC (in fact, I've found that themes often need to be designed with WPEC in mind). This limits your options. I'm currently offering nearly 350 different themes on my multisite network and I have yet to find one that has serious problems with MarketPress. Occasionally, some misalignment will come up, but every issue so far has been fixed with only a line or two of CSS to straighten it out. WPEC can't claim that.

Of course, in my book, MarketPress is also superior because it is network compatible. I think that within the next 6 months or so WPEC will be forced to move in that direction in order to stay competitive.

• ozbod

I am using both and yes I agree that WPEC has more bells and whistles, but MP is catching up.

I struggeld with WPEC a lot to get it working and then there big update came along and it was almost back to square one, it took a couple of days work to get it back to where it was before the update.

But really you have to ask yourself this, when things go haywire where do you turn for support, if you go down the WPEC route, aside from their forum you can forget support, it's almost as if that word isn't in their vocabulary, I know from experience!

Choose the MP route and you know you will get timely support.

In my opinion it's a real no brainer

Cheers

Dave

• Mason

I built a couple ecommerce sites with wpecommerce and had the same frustrating experience. MarketPress has been much easier for me (even though, yes, I also work here at WPMU DEV) but I will say it comes down to your particular needs and what you're able to do

MarketPress and the framemarket/gridmarket themes are extremely easy to customize if you're handy with CSS. MarketPress has also got tons of hooks and filters so that you can modify the functionality to suit your needs. At the end of the day, those are only helpful, though, if you've got the chops (and time/energy, etc) to take a crack at it.

We DO have more plans for MarketPress by way of features as well - just... only so many hours in the day :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Anyone else wanna chime in?

• kshengelia

Hello everyone,

I have read all posts here, they are very useful for me as I had dilemma - I love MarketPress but I have seen themes built for WP Ecommerce (and some other ecommerce plugins) which I am keen on. So I thought I had to choose between plugin and theme.

But I have read here that MarketPress very easily integrates with almost every theme, does it really?

For example, I love these themes - 1 and 2 and was afraid to say no to MarketPress as they are only integrated with WP eCommerce and other ecommerce plugins

So this isn't problem ? Tell me it isn't and I'll be happiest one :smiley:

Thanks

• johnnymestizo

@Mason,

We DO have more plans for MarketPress by way of features as well - just... only so many hours in the day :slight_smile:

Can you post a quick roadmap here? Or is that letting the cat out of the bag?

@kshengelia You are definitely right with the themes being absolutely amazing with WPEC. The calibre is 3 times higher than MP. WPMUDEV might have to throw some serious resources at it to topple the unique high quality themes. Also check out the WPEC themes at http://storefrontthemes.com

+1 to high quality themes for MP.
    +1 to a MP roadmap.

Johnny

• lastafa

Hey there, I have used several themes from storefrontthemes, and am currently running a different theme with it's own wpec styling.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but marketpress won't use the dedicated wpec styling right? If it did, that would be totally awesome and blow away wpec in every way.

You see, I really want to change to MP, I even got a new responsive theme that is BP compatible, but I need to have some comprehensive styling to make it a great shop, the barebones styling of MP makes me feel I'm back to WPEC three years ago, when I actually gave up.

Is there some serious documentation allowing me to hook in easily and radically redress the product pages, cart and checkout?

• Mason

Hiya lastafa,

Apologies for the late response here. Sometimes these older threads get overlooked.

If you navigate to marketpress/marketpress-includes/template-functions.php inside the MarketPress download or marketpress/marketpress-includes/themes/Themeing_MarketPress.txt you will find plenty of documentation on how to style your product entries.

To get an even faster start you may want to look at one of our custom MarketPress-themes such s GridMarket or SimpleMarket.

Let us know if you need anything further, or feel free to open a new thread on this topic.

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.