marketpress vs. zencart

so currently my client is using zencart. I have not personally worked with it, but it seems a bit outdated and complicated. they sell less than 100 products, have promo codes and offer discounts to members. Can Marketpress do all of this? and can it be incorporated into a basic wp site that has not been precustomized for a shopping cart? or are there other sugestions like eshop?

Thanks

• aecnu

Greetings brazuka,

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Can Marketpress do all of this?

Yes it can and much more, thank you for asking.

and can it be incorporated into a basic wp site that has not been precustomized for a shopping cart?

Yes it can by the use of it's generous supply of short codes (shown below - it can be placed into almost any theme compatible with the current version of WordPress. However, I do highly recommend the Grid Market theme supplied with Frame Market theme for smooth quick plug and play integration.

Shortcodes allow you to include dynamic store content in posts and pages on your site. Simply type or paste them into your post or page content where you would like them to appear. Optional attributes can be added in a format like [shortcode attr1="value" attr2="value"].
    Product Tag Cloud [mp_tag_cloud] - Displays a cloud or list of your product tags. Optional Attributes »
    Product Categories List [mp_list_categories] - Displays an HTML list of your product categories. Optional Attributes »
    Product Categories Dropdown [mp_dropdown_categories] - Displays an HTML dropdown of your product categories. Optional Attributes »
    Popular Products List [mp_popular_products] - Displays a list of popular products ordered by sales.

Optional Attributes:

"number" - max number of products to display. Defaults to 5.
    Example: [mp_popular_products number="5"]

Products List [mp_list_products] - Displays a list of products according to preference. Optional attributes default to the values in Presentation Settings -> Product List.

Optional Attributes:

"paginate" - Whether to paginate the product list. This is useful to only show a subset.
    "page" - The page number to display in the product list if "paginate" is set to true.
    "per_page" - How many products to display in the product list if "paginate" is set to true.
    "order_by" - What field to order products by. Can be: title, date, ID, author, price, sales, rand (random).
    "order" - Direction to order products by. Can be: DESC, ASC
    "category" - Limits list to a specific product category. Use the category Slug
    "tag" - Limits list to a specific product tag. Use the tag Slug
    Example: [mp_list_products paginate="true" page="1" per_page="10" order_by="price" order="DESC" category="downloads"]

Store Links [mp_cart_link] - Displays a link or url to the current shopping cart page.
    [mp_store_link] - Displays a link or url to the current store page.
    [mp_products_link] - Displays a link or url to the current products list page.
    [mp_orderstatus_link] - Displays a link or url to the order status page.

Optional Attributes:

"url" - Whether to return a clickable link or url. Can be: true, false. Defaults to showing link.
    "link_text" - The text to show in the link.
    Example: [mp_cart_link link_text="Go here!"]

Store Navigation List [mp_store_navigation] - Displays a list of links to your store pages.

Thank you again for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• brazuka

Thanks for the reply - one question. Will I be able to able to offer memberships and those that are members (like a member sign in - not a WP user signin) and they will be able to receive a % off while shopping. I installed the plugin. I currently did not grab the small theme as to what I am using - are there any basic configuration settings or basic code changes?

Been reading...is the only way to export via wp commerce and import to marketpress?

Thanks...any additional tips would be very helpful and appreciated!

• Timothy Bowers

Hey Brazuka.

Will I be able to able to offer memberships and those that are members (like a member sign in - not a WP user signin) and they will be able to receive a % off while shopping.

MarketPress can not handle memberships but we do have a plugin to handle that though. You can find more information here:

premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership

You could generate a coupon to offer those members a discount. You might also like to consider something like this:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/social-marketing

You can use that to hide a coupon behind social networking. They have to share your link on Twitter, Linked, Facebook, etc in order get the coupon. Great for promoting your site!

As for themes, MarketPress will work in any theme. Occasionally you might need to edit some of the themes CSS but just post in the forums and I'm sure we can offer some guidance for you. :slight_smile:

I currently did not grab the small theme as to what I am using - are there any basic configuration settings or basic code changes?

I'm not sure what you are asking here, could you please elaborate further?

We do also have two dedicated MarketPress themes:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/simplemarket
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/frame-market-theme

In FrameMarket there is also GridMarket. :slight_smile:

Been reading...is the only way to export via wp commerce and import to marketpress?

Yeah you can import from wp commerce and cvs in the latest release.

Take care.

• Timothy Bowers

I remember OSCommerce then moving to Zencart, wow thats old school ecommerce. :slight_smile:

MarketPress is a fantastic WordPress plugin. If you have a WordPress plugin, then this is perfect.

As an other option, non WordPress. I really love PrestaShop and Magento. In Magento you can run separate shops from multiple URLS with one admin area but its much more complex and requires more overheads with the hosting to set up:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/
    http://www.prestashop.com/

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.