Marketpress, whats missing?

Oh sweet lord I cant believe I really have to type all this out again because my PC went all freaky :slight_frown:

Right ok (deep breath)

Hi all,

I work with full blown ecommerce softwares everyday and although I love Marketpress for some of its immense multisite features etc I do feel that it lacks in some areas (some of Marketpress's competitors actually have some of these :wink:

OK so here they are, if I can remember them all AGAIN, damn PC rassenfracken brasssa grrr.

1. Geo Zones for more flexible tax and shipping.

2. Featured products widget/shortcode.

3. Related products widget/shortcode. Admin choose related products in add/edit product page that are displayed somehwere on that products front end page.

4. Latest products widget/shortcode.

5. Recently viewed widget/shortcode. Display thumbs of recently viewed products when user is browsing other products.

6. Restrict shipping by category or cart variables i.e. sub-total

7. Coupons: allowed uses from user and globally. So a user can use a coupon once and there is only 100 t be used globally.

8. More payment gateways i.e. Alertpay

9. Bulk product uploader. Upload loads of products via csv, where you can set everything from image url to related products.

10. Downloadable product link scrambler (maybe something similar to what you have in Membership?)

11. Invoicing features.

12. One page checkout (not sure if this isnt already a feature already to be fair)

Phew well its late, Im sure I can think of more but for now that will do, anybody wat to add anything. Anyway I hope the Devs for Marketpress pick up on this post.

Cheers

• Aaron

10. Downloadable product link scrambler (maybe something similar to what you have in Membership?)

Already protect sthe urls

4. Latest products widget/shortcode.

Already works, just use the list widget and order by date.

7. Coupons: allowed uses from user and globally. So a user can use a coupon once and there is only 100 t be used globally.

Not sure what you mean globally? You can already limit the number of uses.

9. Bulk product uploader. Upload loads of products via csv, where you can set everything from image url to related products.

Have you not tried the csv importer? We don't support images yet, but will soon.

Thanks for the other ideas!

• ThePath

Hi Aaron, thanks for the reply. I had suspected that a few of them would be already achievable and I just havent stumbled across them yet.

I will be getting into Marketpress a lot more over the coming months.

To explain the coupon thing:
    So you are saying that you can already limit how many coupons are used throughout the whole store (globally) but what if I want to limit on a per user basis.

So Im doing a sale, I have my coupon code and I publish it. It goes out to thousands of people. I dont want them all to be able to use it or even 1 user use it multiple times over the time period as I'll go bankrupt :wink:. So I want to set the coupon to: 1 use per user and 100 uses per store

Does that make more sense...I was a bit tired when I wrote this last night.

Is the csv importer built into Marketpress or a seperate plugin. I must have missed that option if its part of Marketpress and I cant find it using the site search if its a seperate plugin! But yeh image support would be cool, would allow bulk upload of images via ftp to a seperate "products" folder then you will know their paths and can easily bash that into the csv file.

I wasnt sure about the downloadable url scrambler as you set this yourself in Membership so thought it was a feature in Marketpress, thats good thogh :smiley:

No probs Aaron, like I said I think Marketpress is awesome and you have done a fantastic job with it. So Im being as brutal as I can so it can improve even further.

When potential clinets come to me asking for an ecommerce store for the majority of the time (Im sorry to say) I never advice WP and Marketpress I pretty much always use a dedicated ecommerce software. This because if they have a store with say 500-1000 products and they are serious about selling online then I feel that using a dedicated software provides them with more functionality and better reporting etc. Im hoping though that Marketpress can compete with the big boys!

Im going to try my hand at making some Marketpress themes though and release some onto the WPME DEV forums as this is a cool plugin and deserves the support.

@Joe to be fair to my PC it wasnt really its fault I think it was a funny module installed in an admin panel that went weird.....ah well I think I remembered everything anyway.

Cheers dudes

• Aaron

So Im doing a sale, I have my coupon code and I publish it. It goes out to thousands of people. I dont want them all to be able to use it or even 1 user use it multiple times over the time period as I'll go bankrupt :wink:. So I want to set the coupon to: 1 use per user and 100 uses per store

Not sure how a user making 1 order with 10 products and a 20% off coupon is any different from 10 orders of 1 product at 20% off by 1 user. How would you limit per user? IP?

Is the csv importer built into Marketpress or a seperate plugin. I must have missed that option if its part of Marketpress and I cant find it using the site search if its a seperate plugin!

It's on the importers tab under settings.

• ThePath

Hi Aaron sorry I didnt realise there where more questions to answer here.

How would you limit per user? IP?

No as this changes so unreliable. It would need to be linked to their user account with the site.

Not sure how a user making 1 order with 10 products and a 20% off coupon is any different from 10 orders of 1 product at 20% off by 1 user.

But you dont always want a user to be able to use the coupon code again and again so they get a further discount in a week or even a days time. So you are right with you statement above but I want to limit each use of the coupon to 1 time for each user. That gets em in and buying and I have full control over when they get their next discount. Other wise they could use the coupon ten times which means 9 other potential customers cant get the discount. Limiting it to 1 (or any number you choose) per user allows an even spread of discounts across your user base and just adds a bit more control over things.

Here is an additional feature request I thought of whilst commenting on another thread:

Automatic currency changer. So you could have a store in GBP but have a selector on the front end so folks from the US can get prices in bucks.

The feature request that was discussed on the other thread was also quite interesting: Having the ability to set multiple prices dependant on the users country (obviously they would have to be logged in and have a "country" field filled out fo this to work properly I would imagine).

Cheers dudes

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.