Marketpress/Framemarket upgrade and link customizations

After many hours of chasing down the right code to modify so I could style my site per my client’s tastes, an upgrade caused me to have to add even more CSS code to the Gridmarket custom.css file. That is only a slight headache but I would like to know that customization of styles using the custom.css is more durable.

Also, I have a very unusual thing happening and I really need to understand why … and what to fix too.

First of all, I’ve noticed that the upgrade does not add items to the top cart slider unless the page is refreshed. I consider this to be an error introduced with the latest release which is Marketpress v 2.3.1 because v 2.3 did this properly.

Next issue is this, I have an image button on the sidebar cart widget. This is the code that I’ve chased all over beegeezus to isolate and move into custom.css, by the way. :slight_smile:

Problems:

When you first visit the page, the empty cart buttons says “browse products” and the image background is there on both the sidebar widget and the top slider cart. When you add a product, sidebar cart widget updates and the “empty cart” and “checkout” buttons images work as expected but, as noted earlier, the slider cart at the top of the page does not update items. Refreshing the page updates the top of page slider cart contents.

Emptying the cart problems:

An attempt to empty the cart using the button in the top slider sends the code into a tail spin with no indication of completion on the top slider but the sidebar widget cart is emptied immediately (and we’ll get back to that part of the problem). Refreshing the page shows that the top slider cart is empty.

Focus on sidebar cart widget now:

The appearance of the “browse products” button as well as “empty cart” and “checkout” buttons is what I want, up until the point that the cart is emptied from the sidebar widget cart. When that happens, the background image on the button goes away until the page is refreshed again. This is happening on v 2.3 also.

The demo site is up at http://mildlymystified.com/holstar/devsite/ (this is Marketpress v 2.3.1)

The ultimately live site (still with demo data) is up at http://theholstar.com (this is Marketpress v 2.3)

Thanks in advance for any answers that lead to a solution.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya!

First of all, I’ve noticed that the upgrade does not add items to the top cart slider unless the page is refreshed.

Sorry, I’m not sure exactly what you mean but this. Could you clarify exactly what you’re seeing please?

the slider cart at the top of the page does not update items. Refreshing the page updates the top of page slider cart contents.

That suggests that the relevant Javascript is unable to run. Are you seeing any javascript errors in your site? This is likely the cause of your empty cart issues too.

Focus on sidebar cart widget now

Check the CSS classes applied to the buttons at that point. There is javascript that necessarily changes elements in that widget so you made need extra CSS selectors in your custom code to account for that.

Thanks,

Phil

• virtuallymarj
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your answers. From what you’ve written and asked, it is sort of clear that you didn’t look at the site links that I provided. There are no javascript errors on the site and the behavior of the top slider card is different on v 2.3 than on 2.3.1. There is a problem with the latest release.

I have focused on CSS classes applied to buttons in sidebar cart widget. The buttons behave perfectly until the cart is emptied.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

I actually don’t see any issues on your site. When I add items to the cart they appear in both the sidebar and the slider section at the top.

I also don’t see any issue with the buttons when adding or remove items from the cart, including emptying the cart.

What browser are you using? Can you provide screenshots showing the issues you’re seeing please?

Phil

• virtuallymarj

Hi Phil,

Had some technology issues over the past couple of days that took priority over shooting the promised video but I have it now. The video runs around 3 minutes and here is the link:

http://mildlymystified.com/holstar/wpmudev-videos/version-differences/

The Marketpress v2.3 installation is up at http://www.theholstar.com

The Marketpress v2.3.1 installation is up at http://mildlymystified.com/holstar/devsite/

This difference in sidebar and the top cart is the same in all browsers for me.

Thanks for taking a look

• virtuallymarj

Can you activate that and let me know whether the issues remain or not? On both sites…

Not easily. Besides, I don’t see the point on the version where the plugin is updating the top cart correctly. That makes it fairly clear to me that the problem lies within the udpate.

What am I missing? Or, what are you looking to see?

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Well there are obviously edits to the original GridMarket theme. All the features you are having issues with are features specific to that theme, which suggests first of all a theme issue more than anything else.

Activating the original Grid Market theme temporarily will confirm whether it’s an issue with your changes or with a plugin. Until we know that we can’t really troubleshoot because we don’t know where the cause is.

Phil

• virtuallymarj

After re-working the theme and getting comments working again, I am still looking for an answer to this question.

Here is the link: http://mildlymystified.com/holstar/devnew (my customized Gridmarket Theme)

Here is the link: http://mildlymystified.com/holstar/devsite (default Gridmarket Theme)

Problems:

1) Sidebar cart widget “Browse Products” link is elusive on styling. It should look the same way as the buttons look when there is an item in the cart. Can you please enlighten me as to how to pin that code down so it sticks? It was there … I put something in the cart … and it went blank after emptying the cart

2) When the cart is emptied through the sidebar, the top cart does not empty until the page is refreshed

3) When an item is added to the cart, the sidebar cart updates but the top cart does not

4) When empty cart is pushed on the top cart, the button spins perpetually until page is refreshed but both the sdebar and top cart empty properly.

I am running WordPress v3.2.1, MarketPress v2.3.2 and Gridmarket 1.4.4 at both dev sites.

These are bugs in the software that I feel need to be remedied. My client wants to go live in 2 weeks.

• virtuallymarj

Phil,

Re: #1 … that was the point. I wanted to style that link as it is styled when there is something in the cart but I could not find the code and was asking you to point me in the right direction. It seems that you don’t know either so I’ve removed the border, which it had been picking up from the desired styling with a background image. That button’s styling has taken too much of my time to continue to pursue it.

Re: #2 … here is the list of plugins that I have installed

BackupBuddy v2.2.10

Embedit

FV WordPress Flowplayer v1.2.13

MarketPress v2.3.2

QuickPage/Post Redirect DEV v4.2.2

WP-Cycle v0.1.12

WP Maintenance Mode v1.6.10

WPMU DEV Update Notifications v2.1.3

WP No Category Base v1.0

I disabled all of them one-by-one and tested the functionality. None of them are affecting the loading and emptying of the top cart widget. As I mentioned when I started this thread more than two weeks ago, this problem was introduced with last update of the software.

If you will let me know when you are going to look, either here or via PM, I will open up the site where the top cart is working properly. I had it available for you for nearly a week and my client became unhappy with its public view because they are not ready to launch yet.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Is that list of plugins just from the sub-site? I.e. are there other, network activated plugins and have you tried de-activating them?

I can’t re-produce this at all so it must be something specific to this install – we just need to find out where.

Phil

• virtuallymarj

That is the active list of plugins on both sites. I have tested deactivating all of those plugins one-by-one and subsequently testing the top cart load, as I mentioned above. The behavior is no different with or without any of the plugins listed above.

This is not a networked installation. It is a single instance WordPress installation.

• virtuallymarj

That did solve the top cart issue that I had observed after upgrading to v2.3.1. Thank you for the reply.

I now have another questions but I think it is best to close this thread and start a new one so they do not get lost in the shuffle.

Thanks again for solving this mystery!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.