Marketpress/Prosite - Products not showing up

I have my marketpress-prosite up and running. I added a new member, they added new products and the thumbnails don't show up. The text shows but no thumbnail.

I thought the products were supposed to show up on the main site too?

Do I need to set something or did I change something that should be set?

The new members are using twenty eleven theme. Is this the issue?

Help...

• militarymama

OK I figured the above out.

1. Now, how do I allow the members site go back to the main site?

2. Also for the cart, how does it work if they purchase items from different members?

3. I want them to be able to check out in one area? Does it automatically keep track of several purchases from other sites and they can check out anywhere?

4. How can I get the shopping cart to show up on all the pages and allow the customer not to go through a search and seizure to find the cart, which is located in STORE? NOT user friendly!

6. Do you already have easy step by step instructions written for the members, especially for those who are NOT computer savvy? The people I am gearing my site to are to those stay at home moms. If they have to go through what I did, it will NOT be successful.

7. You all should consider having very simple steps for an ETSY like store or Ebay store already written or other popular themes people are looking for:

do this, then do that,
    when you get to the PayPal section for chained payments fill out this...
    this will take several days.
    When you receive your API credentials then put them here and do this...and so on.

I believe there is WAAY too much time wasted and it will save everyone time and save the MEMBERS frustration.

I was truthfully ready to give up! If I felt that way, I'm sure others do too. I am a goal setter and a person who will keep going until I get my answer.

This was way too frustrating. It;'s not user friendly for those who are not technical.

This was my first site build.

If the steps were written out clearly, along with links to dig deeper like what is a multisite..etc...It would run smoother. Just my little tidbit

• aecnu

Greetings militarymama,

What do you mean by this? Members site go back to the main site? For what purpose please?

2. Also for the cart, how does it work if they purchase items from different members?

Just like any other purchase made from the sites, members get no special perks for purchasing from other members.

3. I want them to be able to check out in one area? Does it automatically keep track of several purchases from other sites and they can check out anywhere?

Not possible when using chained payments.

4. How can I get the shopping cart to show up on all the pages and allow the customer not to go through a search and seizure to find the cart, which is located in STORE? NOT user friendly!

You should have used a theme that was Market Press ready like Frame Market/Grid Market theme or Simple Market theme etc. ~or~ code a custom theme yourself.

What happened to question number 5?

6. Do you already have easy step by step instructions written for the members, especially for those who are NOT computer savvy? The people I am gearing my site to are to those stay at home moms. If they have to go through what I did, it will NOT be successful.

These are a great couple of questions.

Do you already have easy step by step instructions written for the members, especially for those who are NOT computer savvy?
    The people I am gearing my site to are to those stay at home moms. If they have to go through what I did, it will NOT be successful.

Supporting these people, the market you have targeted, is your affair. Obviously these sites can be made infinitely different, there are no two exactly alike. So even if we did publish the way one site works, their would be someone complaining that this is not the way it works on their site or not the way they designed their site which is the case for the vast majority of sites, and they would need to create their own instructions anyway.

This is called creativity. We at WPMU Dev give you the tools just like home builders all have the same tools, saws, hammers, etc. but how many different houses do you see? An infinite amount of styles and architecture and how to build each one of them would require different instructions.

The so called tools are also Open Source, so you are not locked into a certain exact regimen not being able to modify the code of the scripts, plugins, and themes that we offer. But it is contrary, you can build an almost infinite amount of different sites or they would all look like a bunch of row houses.

Here is a plugin that should help you create those videos for your clientele based upon your individual site construction EMC2 Custom Help Videos plugin

7. You all should consider having very simple steps for an ETSY like store or Ebay store already written or other popular themes people are looking for:

do this, then do that,
    When you receive your API credentials then put them here and do this...and so on.

I believe there is WAAY too much time wasted and it will save everyone time and save the MEMBERS frustration.

I was truthfully ready to give up! If I felt that way, I'm sure others do too. I am a goal setter and a person who will keep going until I get my answer.

This was way too frustrating. It;'s not user friendly for those who are not technical.

This was my first site build.

If the steps were written out clearly, along with links to dig deeper like what is a multisite..etc...It would run smoother. Just my little tidbit

I appreciate your opinion above of course my opinion is somewhat contrary.

This would be great if we want a bunch of "row house" looking sites.

WPMU Dev is a developer site, not a training school, but a site of developers which includes every single member thereof.

Why would someone join a developer web site that does not have a clue and/or moderate understanding of how their computer works, hosting, etc.? I have no clue.

These tools are designed for creativity, this was never meant to be a step by step train you how to do it site. We give you the tools, you build your empire.

Just like the military there should be a test to see if one should be allowed to even be here. Just like the military there should be placement or denial based upon the results of that test which is to not be based on financial ability or simply the ability to pay.

The military says they will train you, I do not know anywhere that WPMU Dev says that they will train you. Please advise if you seen anywhere that WPMU Dev says they will train you and provide the link to that statement.

Obviously this ticket got off track due to its many facets and possible answers.

I await your reply to questions that arose in questions 1 and 5 above and the link to where WPMU Dev says that they will train people how to create and develop web sites.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• militarymama

What do you mean by this? Members site go back to the main site? For what purpose please?

I thought that the people who become members will list their items for sale on their own site and it will also be on my "main website"

Right now, I click on a product that takes me to the new members site, but there isn't a button that click back to the main site for more browsing of other members products.

Just like any other purchase made from the sites, members get no special perks for purchasing from other members.

I don't think you are understanding my question- So if a buyer likes products from several different members sites they will have to make several purchases or is there going to be a central cart?

I see where you said this in question 3
    . This is crazy, how are they going to make purchases from several sites that is customer friendly?

You should have used a theme that was Market Press ready like Frame Market/Grid Market theme or Simple Market theme etc. ~or~ code a custom theme yourself.

I am using gridmarket

When an item is added to the cart from the MAIN site, and it goes to the members site the thumbnail shows up in the main site header. Can you help with this?

Do you already have easy step by step instructions written for the members, especially for those who are NOT computer savvy?
    The people I am gearing my site to are to those stay at home moms. If they have to go through what I did, it will NOT be successful. I am a stay at home mom and NOT computer savvy. I did a lot of reading, studying and asked a lot of questions.

do this, then do that,
    When you receive your API credentials then put them here and do this...and so on

If you did something like that you would open up a market for stay at home moms who are a bit scared to step out and do things on their own. I am amazed at all that I was able to accomplish, with NOT knowing anything about how to build a website.
    My main goal was to start a business and be able to help military families. I'm NOT a military wife just one who cares about others.

I understand that the "Look" is to be their own, but the steps to get to an ETSY like site are basically the same.

• aecnu

Greetings militarymama,

Right now, I click on a product that takes me to the new members site, but there isn't a button that click back to the main site for more browsing of other members products

The concept of the stores is that each store is owned by the particular member.

They are indeed paying for their own store, therefore one would not expect branding from the upline (in this case the upline is the Military Mama main store.)

More then likely the majority of the traffic coming from the search engine will be totally by passing the main site and even the main page of the client, honing in on the product itself.

There is no button to link back to your site directly, but if you indeed want this button, you may consider using the Global Footer Content plugin to put this button in the footer of every site. Of course you would also want to put the copyright to protect the site somewhat from digital thieves.

I don't think you are understanding my question- So if a buyer likes products from several different members sites they will have to make several purchases or is there going to be a central cart?

There is not going to be a central cart if using chained payments. There is a global cart available when not using chained payments but then that ends taking a commission from each site.

You can use the global cart with both PayPal Express and eWay Gateways.

Chained payments + global shopping cart is not implemented and is likely not ever going to be.

The reason for this is because the global shopping cart uses PayPal Parallel Payments, which apparently not compatible with Chained Payments.

From Market Press plugin lead developer: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/feature-request-marketpress-needs-this-for-global-shopping-cart#post-150570

I see where you said this in question 3. This is crazy, how are they going to make purchases from several sites that is customer friendly?

Each one of the stores is an independent store with an independent owner. I would personally love to see it work the other way where they think they are getting it all from the same store, but this is not the case. Also there is a good reason why.

You have the store owner from store A and they use only USPS shipping, and then you have store owner B and they use only flat rate shipping - do you see the problem here?

For your chosen path to market your store and not only charge for the store but to take a commission too, this creates the department store or separate store type setting with no way to change it without changing your whole business model.

I am using gridmarket

When an item is added to the cart from the MAIN site, and it goes to the members site the thumbnail shows up in the main site header. Can you help with this?

There are a couple of ways to deal with this, one option is that everyone in your site uses Frame Market/Grid Market which they will all then consistently have the same layout with the cart at the top ~or~ they will need to add a short code to every site linking to the cart ~or~ use the shopping cart widget which shows a dynamic shopping cart contents along with a checkout button for your MarketPress store ~or ~ related to a post above, use the shortcode to put a link in the footer if you are so inclined.

do this, then do that,

If you did something like that you would open up a market for stay at home moms who are a bit scared to step out and do things on their own. I am amazed at all that I was able to accomplish, with NOT knowing anything about how to build a website.
    My main goal was to start a business and be able to help military families. I'm NOT a military wife just one who cares about others.

I understand that the "Look" is to be their own, but the steps to get to an ETSY like site are basically the same.

Your answer is very thoughtful and very kind. A sincere thank you for that.

There truly are a gazillion ways to build these things, and there are instructions for getting through chained payments.

But it certainly would be nice to have a guide that says something like "if using chained payments then you cannot use global cart" and things like that :slight_smile:

If I were you, I would make the only theme available to your clients/sub stores those that are built for Market Press. That way the cart problem etc. would not be an issue, they can change their header to their taste for the feel of their store, and this would alleviate support problems as well.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings militarymama,

I'm having an issue when someone places something in the cart, the thumbnail shows up on the header page of the store owner.

Now this is totally freaky and I have never seen this happen before, what about a different theme other then twenty eleven?

You mentioned above that I can have just the gridmarket site available for new members. How do I not show Framemarket, do I delete it?

No you do not delete it or the entire site may go down. Frame market is the parent theme of Grid Market and one will not work without the other.

You would just simply have it where Frame Market is not network enabled and Grid Market is.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.