[Mass Email Sender] Add Bcc Email-Adresse for Mass E-Mail Sender for GDPR

GDPR requires us to be able to prove that our users have read and accepted the new privacy policy and terms and conditions. If we want to send information to the user via the current Mass Email Sender Plugin, we do not have this confirmation. However, we would have the confirmation that every email that is sent will also be sent to a Bcc address.

So my suggestion:

Add Bcc Address to Mass Email Sender Plugin :slight_smile:

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Free

I hope you’re well today!

I’m not sure if I understand how the BCC address should work in this case. The Mass Email Sender is processing user list and sending messages to your Multisite users one by one so that BCC address – should it be the same address for each e-mails end or different one? Some “admin e-mail” or configurable address (if configurable it wouldn’t be possible to set different one per each user, I think)?

Could you explain it to me a bit more? I’ll then look what could be done here :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Adam

• Free
    • Flash Drive

Well we have to prove that the user has seen the e-mail to change the privacy policy. We succeed by sending an e-mail twice – once to the user & immediately afterwards an e-mail to the Bcc address, e.g. privacy-policy@examplemail.com. The privacy-policy@examplemail.com emailadress is ours. So with each email we send to our users, we get a copy. This copy will receive the address of the user to whom the e-mail was also sent. If there is a dispute, we can prove in this way that the user has received this e-mail (which he could easily delete without this hedge) :slight_smile:

So the bcc address is the same for all users. And for every email, we send to the user, we get a copy send to our bcc address :slight_smile:

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Free

Thanks for explanation!

That can be done :slight_smile: The plugin, unfortunately, doesn’t include any filters that we can use for it so it would be best to hook up to the WP native “wp_mail()” function which is used for sending mails but on the other hand we’d need to somehow distinguish these particular messages from other ones coming from the site, otherwise BCC would be applied to all the mails from your WordPress install.

However, the plugin is quite simple and there’s not many updates to it so while I usually wouldn’t recommend “messing up” with core files, I think we can call it an exception in this case. You would want to do as follows:

1. access your site install via FTP or cPanel “File Manager”

2. go to /wp-content/plugins/mass-mailser/ folder

3. edit the “mass-mailer.php” file and

– find this code, it’s around line no. 218

$message_headers = "MIME-Version: 1.0n" . "From: " . get_site_option( "site_name" ) . " <{$admin_email}>n" . "Content-Type: text/plain; charset="" . get_option('blog_charset') . ""n";

– right below this line and before the next one, add following code:

$message_headers .= "Bcc: your_bcc_mail@domain.comn";

– save the file on server (overwriting the original one)

Make sure that you replaced your_bcc_mail@domain.com with an e-mail you wish to send BCC to and make sure that you didn’t skip/remove the n at the end of it.

I’ve tested it with my own setup and it works as expected, though I’d definitely recommend making a copy of an original file just in case something went wrong (so you could restore it) and also first sending a couple of test mails to make sure that it’s working fine.

Best regards,

Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.