[Mass Email Sender] SMTP authentication and legal footer

Hello everyone,
We are looking for ideas to have better communication with our sites' owners by sending news (changelog, tips, new features, etc). We think that the "Mass Email Sender" could allow us to do that easily.

1. On a site, we use WP Mail SMTP to authenticate outgoing emails, how can we do that with Mass Email Sender since it's a network administrator feature and there doesn't seem to be any setting for that?

2. Can the HTML template be customized? Among other things, we'd like to add our physical address in the footer so our emails are legal according to the Canadian spam law (CASL) which applies to the US as well.

Kind regards,
Vince

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Vince

1. On a site, we use WP Mail SMTP to authenticate outgoing emails, how can we do that with Mass Email Sender since it's a network administrator feature and there doesn't seem to be any setting for that?

I am afraid this is not possible. When you have SMTP plugin activated on the subsite level, it will work on the subsite level and it can't communicate with the network level plugins. So, you will need a SMTP plugin to have network activated.

2. Can the HTML template be customized? Among other things, we'd like to add our physical address in the footer so our emails are legal according to the Canadian spam law (CASL) which applies to the US as well.

You can use our Ultimate Branding plugin. There is a module called Email Template and there you can customize the email template. You just need to use {message} which will be replaced with the email content that is supposed to send. And then you can wrap that email content with your own custom template.

Hope it helps! Please feel free to ask more questions if you have any.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• Vince
    • Flash Drive

Thank you Ash,
    Are there any suggestion to authenticate the Mass Email Sender?
    Are you saying that Network Activating WP Mail SMTP, it would affect it?

Are there native parameters we can use to set a host+port+username+password?

Thank you for your patience! :slight_smile:

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Vince

Are there any suggestion to authenticate the Mass Email Sender?

What do you mean by authenticating Mass Email Sender? Would you please explain a bit more?

Are you saying that Network Activating WP Mail SMTP, it would affect it?

Yes, network activating the SMTP plugin should cover all the emails sent from your network.

Are there native parameters we can use to set a host+port+username+password?

Do you mean to use same settings for all subsites if you network activate the SMTP plugin?

Please suggest if I misunderstood anything. Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• Vince
    • Flash Drive

Hello Ash,
    An email can be sent directly without authentication (default WP behavior), it's commonly done by using the function mail() without a host/username/password. The problem with this approach is that most servers (especially Hotmail/Outlook and Exchange Online) will highly increase the odds of being considered spam.

The clean approach is to use PHPMailer to authenticate to whatever your SMTP server may be. I believe the plugin WP Mail SMTP does exactly that, but I don't think it would affect emails sent directly from the network admin back-end because I can't configure it on a network level, only per-site basis.

In other words, we have 60 sites using 60 different usernames and passwords but would like the network administration (not a site) to use a certain combination when sending emails using Mass Sender Email.

A great tool to test your DNS entries + authentication is mail-tester.com, see this test using Mass Sender Email: https://www.mail-tester.com/test-nh7yk
    It's using my internal hostname to send emails (magikweb@c10775.sgvps.net) which will most likely bounce against a lot of servers.

I'll keep exploring to see how this can be achieved, that plugin would really be useful. :slight_smile:

• Vince
    • Flash Drive

Here is how we fixed the SMTP authentication.
    The Mass Sender Email plugin uses wp_mail which goes through the first site parameter (site with id 1). After installing and configuring WP Mail SMTP on the first site, the email was successfully validated by mail-tester.com and Google (after some SPF adjustment).

This is great! We'll be able to keep our clients informed of our new WPMU upgrades and optimizations. Thanks again for helping us look in the right direction for a solution.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.