Massively Screwed Up Permissions (?), Part 2

I don't actually know if this problem is related to permissions, but here's a big problem...

A user advised me that once you are what we call a Basic Member (i.e. a free member), you cannot upgrade on the Subscriptions page, though you *should* be able to. There are no buttons!

Gah!

See screenshot: https://skitch.com/internetmarketing/et4dg/subscriptions-ufo-ext-forum

Please advise. Thanks.

• Arun Basil Lal

Hey Karl,

Reasons that I know of why this could happen (from the books of Kimberly :wink:

1. Multiple gateways are active. Do you have a paid gateway and the free gateway active? You should ideally just have a free gateway active. If you want to have a free subscription, set that as a 0$ one.

2. There is no subscription set up, only an inital level, nothing below to upgrade to. Is that so?

3. Is the subscription that the user is trying to upgrade from an infinite one? It shouldn't be. There is no upgrading from an infinite level. Even free levels shouldnt be infinite.

Take a peek and let me know?

• karl_s

Hi Joe!

As far as I can tell, I have one gateway activated. It's PayPal Express.

1) I don't see a "Free" gateway, so I'm guessing the answer is no. Does this show on the Payment Gateways page?

2) I checked the free membership (i.e. Basic) and it was set to Finite 20 days, which IS NOT something I set it to. Is that the default? Anyway, I set it to Infinite. Is that the correct setting?

3) Buttons are now showing on Subscription page, but they still take you to Home.

TX for your help. I'm totally flummoxed. Obviously.

-- Karl

• aecnu

Greetings Karl,

Thank you for your additional input, it is greatly appreciated.

Yes there is a Free subscriptions gateway which is to only be used in the event of a totally Free membership site that does not offer any paid levels.

This reaction of choosing a subscription and redirecting to the home page is usually (but not always) a gateway misconfiguration.

Are you running PayPal Express in Live mode?

Are there any spaces after the PayPal Email address in the gateway?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• karl_s

Hi Joe:

To answer your question, yes I'm running PayPal Express in Live mode. And it was working before. Access levels were screwed up and people couldn't get to the protected content they were supposed to be able to get to... but the payment part was working. I don't know if that helps or not.

Here's a screenshot for reference: https://skitch.com/internetmarketing/e1sbw/membership-gateways-ufo-ext-forum-wordpress

Thanks.

NOTE: If it would help expedite this, I would be happy to let you or some other expert into the site to poke around. Sometimes it can take a week or more of back-and-forth to troubleshoot a problem when ten minutes of access would do the trick. Please let me know what you think...

• aecnu

Greetings Karl,

Received the information a couple days ago, got in there tonight :smiley:

First thing I seen is Bad Behavior plugin - in which I turned it off.

I have personally documented throughout the forums that the Bad Behavior plugin block PayPals IPN.
    That shoudl fix:

Access levels were screwed up and people couldn't get to the protected content they were supposed to be able to get to... but the payment part was working.

However, I was unable to visit the Membership configuration because I do not have access though you did give me higher access then a normal member. As a matter of fact I cannot even see the membership menu.

You must add kssomebody to the Membership admin --> logged into the admin dashboard go to Membership --> Options --> membership Admin tab and add me there.

Please let me know @karl_s so I can continue getting this together for us.

Sincerely, Joe

• karl_s

Gah!

Sorry about that! I saw you came by but didn't realize I needed to grant you Membership admin privileges. Now I know. I corrected the problem. You should be good to go.

As for Bad Behavior... yikes! It's one of the things keeping scammers from flooding the site with fake members. I had no idea it was incompatible with the Membership plugin. What do you suggest as an alternative? I really love Bad Behavior, and this very bad news.

:slight_frown:

Anyway, I hope you can get back to the site soonest. Not having a functional payment system is really killing us.

Thanks Joe!

• aecnu

Greetings Karl,

Thank you for the additional input and feedback, it is certainly appreciated.

Bad Behavior is incompatible with PayPal's IPN portion of PayPal blocking the IPN.

https://totalwebservices.net/cms/bad-behavior-plugin-blocks-paypal-ipn/

http://forum.oiopublisher.com/discussion/663/paypal-ipn-not-working-due-to-bad-behavior-plugin/

http://www.tipsandtricks-hq.com/forum/topic/paypal-instant-payment-notification-warning

http://www.tipsandtricks-hq.com/forum/topic/bad-behaviour-plugin-estore

That should do it for showing what I mean regarding the PayPal IPN and Bad Behavior plugin.

In regards to the Membership plugin, I am hoping to make it back in there before COB today :smiley:

Cheers, Joe

• karl_s

Gah!

That's certainly a lot of indication that Bad Behavior is bad for PayPal. How strange that Bad Behavior makes no mention of it anywhere on their site. I'm sure the maker must be aware of it. Wow.

Of course, with all the compatibility issues plugins can create, I'm sure it's damn hard to keep up when you're doing it for free or living for the occasional small donation. I saw the same thing happen with Better Wordpress Security. It was a great plugin for a while, but I had to drop it some time ago because the developer clearly couldn't keep up with the ever-changing and evolving WP environment.

On the suggestion of another user, I installed AVH First Defense Against Spam. It looks like a very robust solution. I hope it's OK with the site in question.

Thanks, Joe!

• aecnu

Greetings Karl,

Now we need to get your subscription buttons back so we can check the PayPal gateway.

Yes I can make the change myself but you need to know what is going on.

Setting your free level to infinite means they will remain on the free level forever, and an option to upgrade will never be made.

This would now be the next step, to set the free level subscription plan to something other then infinite i.e. finite and a certain amount of time of course.

Once this is done if we are still having a gateway problem I will be going in again :slight_smile:

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• karl_s

Hey Joe!

Obviously, I got confused (again). I set the thing to Infinite because the free membership is free indefinitely. Anyway, I just switched it to Serial @ 6 months, for what it's worth.

However, that didn't change anything. When you go to the Subscriptions page and try to upgrade, you still end up on the Home page.

Anyway, I give you my permission to make the tweaks you think are necessary to get this thing working right. The natives are getting restless! Of course, if you have any questions or concerns, please let me know.

Thanks man!

:slight_smile:

-- Karl

• aecnu

Greetings Karl,

Thank you for the additional input, it is appreciated.

Anyway, I just switched it to Serial @ 6 months, for what it's worth

I set it back to infinite to get this going again as you had originally intended but after an undetermined amount of time found the key to the subscriptions buttons to be the payment gateway.

While logged into the admin dashboard if you go to --> Membership --> All Members

Take note of the gateway they are assigned. If in fact it is NOT set to PayPal Express they will see no upgrades available.

Now I have gone ahead and changed my gateway on my test account from admin to PayPal Express and boom the subscribe buttons now show.

Therefore those without any gateway assignment ~or~ "admin" need to be manually changed this one time to PayPal Express. This can be done using the Bulk "Move Gateway" selection or one by one if you choose.

I have also created another test account in which it set the gateway to admin though I anticipated it would set it to PayPal Express being the only gateway activated.

We do need to see if it is changed on Thursday after the limit of 1 day is over for the upgrade system as defined in Membership --> Options --> Membership Upgrades --> Upgrades period limit

Meanwhile it is in your interest to bulk move everyone to the PayPal Express gateway except the aecnucom test account.

And on Thursday we need to see if the system moved it to PayPal Express on its own.

Cheers, Joe

• karl_s

Hey Joe!

Thanks for all your help and for the info.

Following your instructions/advice, here's what I did:

I set a few members to the correct gateway (paypalexpress) and membership levels to test out the payment system. I expect there will be feedback later today as I asked those members to see if things are working for them.

Given how long it takes to change gateways and access levels (it's really slow), I decided to do just a few for now. That way I don't spend an hour or two changing things only to find out I did it wrong or that it must be re-done.

I tweaked one of my test accounts as per your instructions and... VOILA!... payment buttons were suddenly there and appear to be working. Yay!

I think we may be rounding the corner here, my friend. Thanks to you! :smiley:

TTYS,
    Karl

• aecnu

Greetings Karl,

Thank you so very much for letting me know.

I do take great pleasure in helping and find for the most part issues to be intriguing with the challenge and enjoyment of course being figuring them out :smiley:

I also look forward to tomorrow if that test account of mine indeed offers me to upgrade, then I know we (you and I) have this totally under control.

The only time it is a drag is when the member is being adversarial which makes it much harder to help because they do not want to help ... lol

Thank you Karl, you are truly a pleasure to work with.

Cheers, Joe

• karl_s

Actually, Joe...

Now that I'm about to do this (convert users from "admin" to "PayPal" Gateway), I noticed something that, I think (?), is not right.

New signups are coming in under the "admin" Gateway, not the PayPal Gateway. Since (I think) we've concluded people need to be under the PayPal Gateway for this thing to function right, this is clearly a problem.

How do I get it set up so that new registers are under the right Gateway to begin with? Or does that occur when they upgrade from Free to Sustaining membership? Or am I missing something entirely?

Thanks again! :smiley:

• aecnu

Greetings Karl,

Thank you for the additional input which is certainly appreciated.

Agreed that they need to be under the PayPal Express gateway from the beginning to show the option of upgrading.

I thought this was resolved because I noticed that one of the two accounts I created was indeed assigned to the PayPal Express gateway.

However, I may have lost track and a bit confused in the time it took us to get me back in the system as an admin.

Now that I am back in as Membership admin I did some thorough testing and the issue with Membership is contrary to what I found in many other posts, with only the PayPal Express gateway activated and a Member signs up on the front end they are indeed assigned to the admin gateway.

But not on my test production server.

Something is interfering or custom coded into the UFOextraterrestrialforum.com, because Membership does not perform this way out of the box on my test production server: http://membership.aecnuwpmu.us/ and it indeed performs as expected.

Take a test drive --> http://membership.aecnuwpmu.us/ --> Member registers and a box comes up asking them to subscribe! How is this being diverted on your site?

If I click subscribe I do not get activation emails, I get log in information and URL.

And furthermore in the back end, they are indeed assigned the PayPal Express gateway.

So what happened that has bypassed this step? This subscription step?

The one right after registration?

This is indeed what is wrong with the UFOextraterrestrialforum.com site.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• karl_s

OK. I took your advice and signed up via your test site, then did a new signup via my site and I see what you mean. The entire subscription step is missing. Why that is... I have no idea.

I don't think you are confused about anything. I know I am, because all I know is that this thing is not working. Unlike you, I don't have a frame of reference on how this is supposed to work, so to a large degree I'm flying blind here.

Clearly, something got screwed up along the way, but I honestly have no idea what that would be or even where to start. While not a WP tyro, I'm totally new to WPMU stuff and to the Membership plugin in particular.

If you're asking me to tell you what's wrong with this thing, it's like asking the patient to diagnose the disease. If I could do that, I'd at least have an idea of what to do about it. I've been stymied since we started this back and forth.

Where do we go from here, my friend? You tell me.

:slight_frown:

• aecnu

Greetings Karl,

Thank you for your additional input, it is greatly appreciated.

The key to this one at this point is to figure out where the redirect/bypass is being made.

I will look into this some more this weekend because even if I call in the lead developer on this one, it is likely we will not get a response until the beginning of the week i.e. Monday if then.

So hold tight, don't do anything I wouldn't do and I will see if I can figure this out :smiley:

Sincerely, Joe

• karl_s

You are DA MAN!

I'm sure glad you're on the case, because I wouldn't have the first clue. I'm also glad to hear you can bring in the big guns if you need to. This kind of support is one of the reasons I chose WPMU for this project. I'd hate to think where'd I'd be if I'd tried something of this complexity completely on my own. Yikes!

As you suggest, I will sit tight and wait to hear from you.

Thanks again, brother!

:slight_smile:

• aecnu

Greetings Karl,

Thank you for touching base on this, it is appreciated.

I have indeed worked it out finding what was causing the redirect which was the registration page itself and the first setting in the options needed to be set to none.

The previous registration page kept redirecting to the Buddy Press registration and not the one required by Membership.

This has been repaired, assignment to the correct payment gateway is now happening and you should be all set :smiley:

I admit this was a tough one but it is finally resolved.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• karl_s

Hey Joe! Thank you for all the hard work you have done on this project. I'm sure it's well past annoying now!

:-o

I'm glad to hear you found the solution to the big problem. Or maybe a problem. But I'm still not sure everything is 100% OK. Here's why...

I decided to spot check and see if new signups are coming in under the PayPal Gateway (as opposed to the Admin or blank Gateway). Well, they're still coming in under the Admin Gateway. Aren't they supposed to come in under PayPal now?

Please advise.

Thanks man.

-- Karl

• aecnu

Greetings Karl,

I tested this thoroughly and I am sure they were coming in under the PayPal Express gateway when I left it alone.

Please test this while using a different browser then the one you use to develop due to the cookie being found and messing with your head.

I just tested again and a couple of things:

It worked exactly as I had anticipated and indeed assigned my account to the PayPal Express gateway.

Second the email you have sent that the person needs to activate is not true. Members have immediate access upon a successful signup, there is no activation key.

I have marked this ticket not resolved below so it does not get away form me until you can confirm that it is indeed working as anticipated.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• karl_s

Hey Joe!

1) I just ran my own test with a new signup and it seems to be working! Cool. Here's what threw me...

2) After you posted that you had fixed the problem, I went in and looked at recent signups. I found several that I thought had come in after you made the tweak... but they must have been just before.

https://skitch.com/internetmarketing/es9c2/untitled

So, sorry for the confusion!

3) Thanks for mentioning the incorrect greeting email. That's from before when none of this was working right and things were really wonky. It would have only confused new signups, so good catch!

:smiley:

4) Whatever you did apparently fixed the screwed-up subscription page, too! The coding was all wonky, with no boxes, borders or separation between different levels and buttons.

Mason (who was working on that) will be relieved to know it's finally fixed. I will let him know that what you did fixed the problem he was working on. You and he can compare notes, I suppose.

5) It really does look like we're good to go here. I'm going to switch over all the members who aren't under the PayPal Express Gateway. Hopefully, that goes smoothly. If it doesn't, you'll be the first to know.

I am so relieved I can't tell you. This process has been brutal, but there's no way I could have fixed this on my own. Thank you so much, my friend. Your patience and perseverance are greatly appreciated!

You rock (and so does WPMU). Points gladly awarded!

:wink:

Regards,
    Karl

• karl_s

Hey Joe!

Well... pffft!

It looks like I spoke too soon. But first, the "good news," such as it is.

I was able to go in and clean up all the subscriptions. Everybody is now assigned to the correct Gateway, and new signups appear to be coming in correctly under PayPal Express. So that's all good.

However, to the bad news. I jumped the gun a bit on the Sign Up/Registration issue. The Reg/Sub page is not entirely fixed. Before I get to that, let me raise an issue...

1) I'm a bit confused about something here. The main page of this theme has a Sign Up button which takes you to Subscription options...

https://skitch.com/internetmarketing/eayem/register-ufo-ext-forum-3

This view, BTW, is what I saw before that led me to believe the Subscriptions page was working correctly. The various levels of Subscription look great here.

2) However, if I click the Register tab, it brings up the "Create an Account" form.

https://skitch.com/internetmarketing/eayeq/create-an-account-ufo-ext-forum-14

Both ways are "right," I guess, but shouldn't we have one way or the other to do this? Having both can be confusing to users. It certainly has the potential.

3) Once you are signed up, the Subscription page LOOKS LIKE CRAP!

https://skitch.com/internetmarketing/eaye1/subscriptions-ufo-ext-forum-17

This was the problem Mason was trying to address and that I thought had been fixed. It's only partially fixed, because it looks OK before you are signed up. Once you are, it is nigh on to unusable!

Again, for reference...

https://skitch.com/internetmarketing/eayeu/register-ufo-ext-forum-4

I know you thought you'd finally gotten rid of me. But like the Membership plugin, I'm the gift that keeps on giving. Ahem.

Please advise.

-- Karl

P.S.: I decided to reopen this ticket rather than start a new one, because I figured this was best handled by somebody who already had some familiarity with my site and the issues we've been dealing with. I hope that's OK!

• aecnu

Greetings Karl,

Thank you for letting us know what issues you still faced and how things are proceeding.

After a read through I was going to suggest either redirecting the "bad" registration page or removing it entirely.

Yes there were two different signup process, on being Buddy Press and the other being Membership - they must be going through the Membership registration for this to work as we want.

Once you are signed up, the Subscription page LOOKS LIKE CRAP!

How do they get to the registration page once signed up?

And I guess even a bigger question would be why would they go to the registration page since they are already signed up and not the upgrade page? Or is this at that point indeed the Upgrade page?

I ask the last question because there is clearly some kind of conflict at that point on that page and I am trying to think of a workable solution.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• karl_s

Hey Joe!

Well, again, you're asking me questions and I don't know the answer. Actually, I'm not even sure I understand the question(s), since they get to the Registration page when they sign up (it pops up). Once signed up, they can see the Subscriptions page, but again, that's the problem: it's a jumbled mess.

I'm already getting comments/complaints about it.

Maybe we're talking past each other here. I'm not sure.

-- Karl

• aecnu

Greetings Karl,

Thank you for your additional input as always.

I have visited the site and see that it is indeed only working with the Membership signup as we need so this is not an issue.

So now we want to concentrate on the Membership pages specifically the registration completed page (screen shot below). Logged into the admin dashboard go to Membership --> Options --> Membership Pages --> Registration Completed Page and make the applicable adjustments there as needed - meaning create the page and make it what you want them to see.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• karl_s

Hey Joe!

OK. Now I'm confused again.

Why are we talking about the Reg completed page? That's not the page that's the problem. It's the Subscriptions page after people are signed up and members. As far as I know, the Reg completed page works fine. It's just a simple thank you notice. It's the Sub page that's got the major issues.

Presupposing that you meant Sub page when you said Reg page, I still don't know where to go from here, because the Sub page uses a short code ('[renewform]"). Are you really suggesting that I try to manually create a version of that?

To review:

This is the way the Sub page looks before you sign up. It looks great: https://skitch.com/internetmarketing/eayem/register-ufo-ext-forum-3

Here's the way it looks after you signup. It looks like crap: https://skitch.com/internetmarketing/eaye1/subscriptions-ufo-ext-forum-17

Please advise.

-- Karl

• aecnu

Greetings Karl,

Thank you for the additional input and yes there does seem to be some confusion about what you want to happen after the user registers.

Ok lets start with mapping the flow, the user subscribes/registers making payment or not if they chose free subscription. They then go where? To a renew form?

That is what I am understanding is taking place there on the site from your last post.

How do they end up on the page with the renewal form?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• karl_s

Hey Joe!

As far as I can tell, the sign up/subscription process is working - in terms of "mapping the flow" - as it should. I'm fine with it, unless you see something that is amiss.

The issue is, again, the appearance of the Subscriptions page after somebody has signed up! The formatting is all screwed up.

There is no separation between levels. You can't tell what PayPal button goes with what. Again, it looks like crap!

This was the issue Mason was trying to address while you and I were dealing with the far more important membership/subscription issues. Now that all that is sorted (thanks to you), it's time to get the aesthetics (and usability) right.

Mason thought that something was breaking the CSS (for whatever that's worth).

Regards,
    Karl

• aecnu

Greetings Karl,

Thank you for the clarification which is extremely helpful!

I spent a considerable amount of time in there today trying to figure out what is going wrong there on that page.

I have noticed within the coding of your subscriptions you have added divs and spans any of which may be causing this issue, but I have reached my coding limit.

I would recommend removing them all to see if this straightens this out because it is very possible it is causing this mess by conflicting with the css.

Other then this it is time to call in Barry to see if he can resolve this, but removing the extra styling within the subscriptions texts is probably the first step to getting this straightened out if not indeed the solution.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• karl_s

Er... what?

I haven't added anything. I try to keep things as close to stock as possible.

I went and looked at the subscriptions, and I see what you mean. On the HTML tab, you can see divs added! All I did was type in the text and add a graphic.

As an experiment, I removed the divs from one of the Subscription descriptions but it didn't seem to make a difference in display at all.

None of this explains why the same subs work great before you sign up, and look like crap after. It seems to me something is "breaking" inside the coding, but heck if I know (duh). As I've said before, this is certainly beyond my pay grade. Waaaaaaayyyyyyy beyond it.

Anyway, thanks for all your efforts, Joe. I really appreciate it.

I hope Barry can make sense of this. If he can't, we're sunk, I think. :slight_frown:

Lata!

• aecnu

Greetings Karl,

I admit sir that I was guesstimating at the possibility of the divs etc. having a possible effect.

But I did want to bring one thing to light, the page outside for signing up is indeed a different page then the one on the inside.

While in there I added text to one of the descriptions and it showed up on the outside but not on the inside!

Totally blew my mind. I even checked with different browsers and the effect was the same.

Hopefully Barry will be able to shed some light on this craziness for us sooner then later.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings Karl,

Thank you for your input there Karl!

Well I found out today kind of by mishap why we have not heard from Barry since Friday and it appears that Barry will be unfortunately without internet till
    (hopefully) sometime on Monday.

Apparently a lot of folks down right now:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19928507

I hope they get their act together sooner then later.

Sincerely, Joe

• karl_s

Hey Joe!

I hope so.

I've got people complaining that payment is not working right for them. A few have said they hit a PayPal button and there is an error. It all looks OK to me (but then this seems to be the common scenario).

Thusfar on this site, "our crowd" tends to be older, less savvy surfers, so many times the problems are simply ones of confusion or inexperience with what most would consider very basic web usage. In other words, they are older info junkies, rather than 18 year olds who grew up with computers in their laps, so quite often it is user ignorance/error.

But I don't think we'll really be able to find out for sure what's going on here (if anything) until Barry comes in and sorts out the Sub page, since the appearance of that thing is no doubt part of the problem.

I'll wait to hear from you and Barry. Sooner rather than later, I hope.

Thanks man.

-- Karl

• aecnu

Greetings Karl,

Thank you for the great offer to continue to a new ticket, I would recommend waiting until @Barry gets a look at this so he can review all that we have tried and to know that Mason has looked at this anomaly as well.

Then once Barry has had the time to look all this over, symptoms etc, hopefully he will see what ails that single page and offer us a permanent solution.

Thank you as always for your patience Karl.

Cheers, Joe

• karl_s

Hey Joe!

I know this is not your responsibility, but how do we give Barry a kick in the pants? It's been a week now, and over a month on this issue. I REALLY NEED to get this issue fixed. It's killing us.

On a related note, and Sub page appearance issues aside, I'm not really sure we're out of the woods yet. I got this message, and it's not the first of it's kind:

"Tried to subscribge to The Inner Circle – Monthly

Same message with FF and Chrome

“We are unable to modify your subscription. This may be because your existing subscription calls for no more payments to be made or because it has been cancelled or completed.”

This is from a Basic (Free) Member who IS on the right gateway (PayPal). Everybody is on the right gateway now, as far as I know.

The point is, he should not be getting this message! I think we still have a problem...

-- Karl

• aecnu

Greetings Karl,

Sorry to hear and see that Barry has not made his way in hear yet regarding the inner page.

Regarding upgrading from Free to the next level, I believe they have to wait until the free subscription runs out or whatever subscription they are on. Also did he try to upgrade in the first 24 hours?

This was the reaction I got from my test install. They had to wait until the end of the subscription they were on to upgrade or select the same level they were on being free of course. If they upgraded it would create the recurring.

You may want top test this theory by setting the test sub to one day and see if they are prompted to join again and if they can upgrade at that time.

Of course if we could get Barry in here he should be able to clarify this for us at the drop of a hat.

Please advise if you are indeed able to make the test and see if I got it right on this?

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings Barry,

Yes sir the remaining issue at this point is the internal upgrade page is totally funky.

Mason checked it out with no solution as well as I have and I think we can get Karl to post a screen shot.

In addition, I have log in details if you would like me to send them to you?

The way to see what is going on is registering for his site and then go to the upgrades and you will see the mess.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Barry

Yes sir the remaining issue at this point is the internal upgrade page is totally funky.

Hi what do you mean by internal upgrade page? Internal as in the admin interface in the admin area? or something else?

We are unable to modify your subscription. This may be because your existing subscription calls for no more payments to be made or because it has been cancelled or completed.

I assume that this is a message from PayPal? Yes?

• aecnu

Greetings @Barry,

Internal meaning once the member has logged in and internal was only meant as inside.

Sorry that I forgot to switch from member speak to developer speak ... lol

That message is something aside from what I alerted you to this ticket for Chief, though I admit we have not yet resolved it because as you can see until a post or two ago it was never mentioned before. But this logged in and upgrade screen thing has been haunting us forever now it seems.

Myself as well as Mason registered with the site and seen the upgrade/subscription page anomaly but could not figure out why/how to fix it (towards the bottom).
    http://ufoextraterrestrialforum.com/subscriptions/

For your convenience I have sent you my login credentials.

Cheers, Joe

• karl_s

Hey Guys! Nice to see you Barry. :slight_smile:

So, to be clear, there are two problems that remain.

ISSUE ONE
    This is the way the registration page looks when you first register. it's nice and orderly: http://www.screencast.com/t/dnYz4DBlk

This is the way the Subscription page looks once you have registered. It's a confusing abortion: http://www.screencast.com/t/8DulRkrQOf6

ISSUE TWO
    When any of our users tries to upgrade (assuming they can find the right button on the confusing Sub page, as shown above), they get this:

“We are unable to modify your subscription. This may be because your existing subscription calls for no more payments to be made or because it has been cancelled or completed.”

Most of our members are Basic (free) Members. They *should* be able to upgrade to a paid membership with the click of a button. Joe keeps talking about their subscription expiring, but the Basic Membership should have no expiration. It's free forever! So that basic issue remains: why can't people upgrade without getting an error message?

I hope the above clarifies the problems as I see them. Let me know if any further explanation is needed.

Thanks guys!

Regards,
    Karl

• aecnu

Greetings Karl,

Thank you for clarifying issue two which is greatly appreciated and I would like to know that answer as well though I keep claiming the other way because that is how I found it to work on my installation.

Maybe I have something set wrong and I certainly do not know everything.

Looking forward to Barry's answer and to see if I am indeed missing something concerning that specific issue.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings Dean Kaus,

Just to save Karl the need to post, the problem is internally that the page does not look right.

On the outside indeed it is flawless, but once you log in and go to the upgrade page it is a mess.

@Karl_S I am sorry sir that there is nothing more I can do here. You klnow I personally spent days trying to resolve all the issues and this one issue I have not been able to overcome and it is why I flagged Barry in the first place.

I hope he registers for your site soon and digs into this anomaly.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings Dean Kaus,

It indeed seems like some crazy css issue that Mason and myself could not figure out where it was coming from or how to change it.

I admit that I am not very good at css but this thing was driving me batty trying to find it and went in after Mason had been in there trying to figure it out.

Originally I was in trying to figure out a subscription issue which I resolved, but this internal page or more accurately the page presentation once logged in is mind twisting.

Cheers, Joe

• karl_s

Hey Joe and Dean!

I see you guys had quite a discussion here. No wonder my ears were burning. :wink:

@Joe - I didn't realize you were at the end of your rope on this. Are there any other hardcore CSS guys at WPMU that might be able to take a look at this, other than Barry? Or have we pretty much concluded he's the only one that can address this?

At any event, thank you very much for all your efforts. I know you worked hard on all the issues that came up in this very long thread, and I really do appreciate it! :smiley:

@Dean - Thanks for trying to help. I'm using BuddySocial, straight out of the box. With the exception of one or two plugins, all the ones I'm using are WPMU plugins. And I'm not using many.

I don't think any of them have any effect on CSS. But not being a WP coder, I (obviously) can't say for sure.

I'm going to try shutting down all the plugins (other than Membership) and see if that does anything for us. I doubt that it will, but it's worth a shot. If that doesn't solve it, I'm wondering why it is that my site and my site alone has this weird display problem? Hmmm. Weird. You'd think it would be a glitch that is happening on other installs, but apparently not.

I noticed that under the General Options for the Membership plugin, under the Advanced tab, there is a "Repair Membership Tables" button. Would it be worth a try at this point? What do you guys think?

• aecnu

Greetings karl_s,

Thank you for the additional input, it is great.

I would not say I am at the end of my rope but more accurately cannot figure out that d-a-r-n page issue and scrambling things as it does.

Dean gave a great question about the theme name and considering it is Social gave me the additional idea to ping the Social lead developer @Jeffri in here as well.

This issue must be resolved.

Karl it is cool to run the database repair and I promise if that fixes it I will fall out of my chair because I do not think it has any play in this issue - but it certainly cannot hurt.

Turning off all the plugins except membership certainly will discount it being a plugin conflict of course if the reaction is the same with all plugins disabled but membership.

Look forward to hearing about your results in any event.

Cheers, Joe

• Dean Kaus

@aec

nu and @karl_s Man do I understand your frustrations with web pages and stuff not working like it should. Couple of questions I have (and this may be redundant and already answered) but have you tried a different theme altogether?

@aecnu suggestin to
    Turning off all the plugins except membership certainly will discount it being a plugin conflict of course if the reaction is the same with all plugins disabled but membership.

Is something else I would certainly try.

Also I can offer my time in about 5 or 6 hours to take a look if it's ok with @aecnu
    and if @karl@karl_s would feel comfortable enough to provide me with temp admin settings (DON'T POST THEM HERE) and can email me personally
    kausphoto (at) gmail (dot) com replace the obvious here.

I may not be able to provide the solution but usually the problems find me. So in that regard in the past I've been a good alpha and beta tester.

Let me know if I can be of any help here.

• Jeffri

Hi there,

I think I have idea of why the subscription page looks messed.

On: http://ufoextraterrestrialforum.com/register/

The CSS file subscriptionform.css from membership plugins is loaded.

But on: http://ufoextraterrestrialforum.com/subscriptions/

The responsible CSS file is not loaded, so that explain the reason.

As for the fix, there is two ways as far as I can see:

1. Instead of using [renewform] shortcode, you can remove the shortcode and go to Membership -> Options -> Membership Pages, then set the Subscriptions page. Again, make sure to edit the page and remove [renewform] shortcode.

2. Keep using shortcode and add the call to load subscriptionform.css file. This is a little more complicated as it involves editing theme. Let me know if you prefer this way and I can give you instruction. :slight_smile:

Thank you.

Jeffri

• aecnu

Greetings Jeffri,

Thank you so much for chiming in here and offering us this great explanation and hopefully the cure to an issue that has plagued us for quite awhile.

I am sure @Karl_S will make his way in here pretty quick to get this issue resolved as it has been driving us crazy trying to figure it out.

Thank you again and please stay on this so we can get Karl's site fixed and this ticket off the books.

Cheers, Joe

• karl_s

Hey Joe, Jeffri and Dean!

Wow, there's been a flurry of activity here. I feel bad I wasn't here to be in the mix of it. I was off putting out fires elsewhere.

Jeffri's suggestion sounds great, and I'd be game for doing it, so long as the process is not too complicated. I'm pretty WP savvy, but I'm no coder or css expert. I'm sure Joe will be glad to help if it's over my head -- if for no other reason than to get "this ticket off the books."

:wink:

I hope I'm not being presumptive there Joe, and I can relate to the sentiment. Believe me. There's nobody else who wants to see this forum working right more than me. But you might be a close second!

Dean, thanks for the input. We're locked into the theme, I think. The whole site is sorta built around it at this point. I imagine a change of theme would create a new pile of work for me, which I'd rather avoid! I greatly appreciate the very kind offer, but it looks like we may be shortly out of the wood here. That would be a HUGE relief!!!!

NOTICE: I shut down all the non-critical plugins and it had no effect on the appearance of the Sub page. If Jeffri is right, it probably wouldn't have anyway. But as we all agreed, it was worth a shot.

UPDATE: I ran the Membership plugin database repair and... wait for it... lo and behold!... I think the subscription button error is fixed! Now, when you click a subscription level button on the Sub page, it actually takes you to PayPal like it's supposed to! Holy sh*t! I tried this with several different identities at several different subscription levels in several different browsers, and it seems to be working! OMFG! Was it just some weird glitch all along?!?!? Anyway, I asked several of the "senior" members of the forum to test it out from their end. If it works for them like it's now working for me, then that's ONE OF THE TWO REMAINING PROBLEMS RESOLVED!!!

Freakin' YAY! Right?

Maybe we're actually getting close here. I just want everybody to know how much I appreciate all the help. Seriously! Word.

TTYS,
    Karl

• Jeffri

Hi there Karl,

Here is the piece of code you can use:

function social_child_enqueue(){
    	if ( function_exists('membership_url') && is_page('subscriptions') ){
    		wp_enqueue_style('subscriptionformcss', membership_url('membershipincludes/css/subscriptionform.css'));
    		wp_enqueue_style('publicformscss', membership_url('membershipincludes/css/publicforms.css'));
    		wp_enqueue_style('buttoncss', membership_url('membershipincludes/css/buttons.css'));
    	}
    }
    add_action('wp_enqueue_scripts', 'social_child_enqueue');

Insert this code on the theme functions.php.

Of course, I'll recommend you to use child theme so that you can safely update the parent theme in future without losing your changes. To do that, copy the /wp-content/themes/bp-social/themes/bp-social-child to /wp-content/themes/bp-social-child. And activate the BuddyPress Social Child theme. Then you'll need to create a new file named functions.php (do not copy from the parent theme, but create a new empty file instead) and insert the code above.

This should solve it. Let me know if you have any question. :slight_smile:

Thank you.

Jeffri

• karl_s

Hey Guys!

Great. It looks like (I hope) we're getting close to solving this.

OK. I get the idea. I'm going with a child theme in order to make this work. Cool.

What I'm fuzzy on is how I go about doing this. I'm supposed to copy the child theme and then activate it. I guess I'm doing this at FTP level?

I don't see a child version of the theme in my dashboard. Is that because the parent is active?

I looked at https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/the-buddypress-manual-2/what-are-parent-and-child-themes/ but I'm still not clear on any of this. Sorry. :slight_frown:

Another question (possibly a dumb one). If I activate the child theme, does it "pick up" all the content of the parent? I'm assuming so, because if not, we've go yet another big problem!

Please advise.

TX.

-- Karl

• aecnu

Greetings karl_s,

Thank you for your input there and you should not have the parent activated and the child should be activated.

The child should be uploaded separately in the /wp-content/themes folder, please see:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/front-page-blogs-picture-and-text-not-visible-only-subject-is-visible#post-217131

Explains the parent/child relationship very well.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• karl_s

Hey Joe and Jeffri!

It took me a lot longer than I had hoped to get to this. It's very early Monday morning as I write this. I'm soon for bed. Yawn.

In the good news/bad news dept (and as part of the ongoing saga), I now have news to report.

I followed Joe's tutorial and Jeffri's instructions and set up the special functions.php file within the bp-social-child folder. See screenshot:

http://www.screencast.com/t/ORpPiwYC

That's the good news. The bad news is, it doesn't seem to make any difference in the appearance of the Subscriptions page. It's still a mess. In fact, as far as I can tell, this entire operation (educational though it may have been) did absolutely nothing for us.

Did I do this right? Does it look right to you guys? Maybe I missed something?

Please advise (again).

TX,
    Karl

• aecnu

Greetings Karl,

Thank you for the update and for the screen cast.

It looks like we need to get the coder @Jeffri in there if he does not spot what is possibly going wrong from your screen cast.

I admit that I am not a coder and have indeed done everything I could to resolve this.

I have pinged Jeffri again for his invaluable input into this marathon - what appears to be - styling issue.

Thanks again Karl and lets hope Jeffri finds his way to us soon.

Cheers, Joe

• Jeffri

Hi Karl,

Looking on the screenshot, it appears that you did it correctly. It bothers me that the functions.php has 0B there, you might take the screenshot before saving it, but just in case, you probably want to check that the functions.php is saved and uploaded properly.

The required CSS still doesn't load there for some reason. Can you try to change the code to the one below and see if you have any luck?

function social_child_enqueue(){
    	if ( function_exists('membership_url') && is_page(62) ){
    		wp_enqueue_style('subscriptionformcss', membership_url('membershipincludes/css/subscriptionform.css'));
    		wp_enqueue_style('publicformscss', membership_url('membershipincludes/css/publicforms.css'));
    		wp_enqueue_style('buttoncss', membership_url('membershipincludes/css/buttons.css'));
    	}
    }
    add_action('wp_enqueue_scripts', 'social_child_enqueue');

I changed the conditional check from is_page('subscriptions') to is_page(62). The 62 is the subscription page ID on your site.

Hopefully it will work. Otherwise, if you don't mind, you can send me your credential info and I'll check it for you. :slight_smile:

Thank you.

Jeffri

• karl_s

@Jeffri @aecnu

Hey guys!

I've been freakin' SWAMPED with other work, but I finally got around to trying that modified code Jeffri provided.

No luck.

As far as I can tell, it didn't do anything. In particular, it didn't fix the problem.

Jeffri, I will be happy to provide you access to the site to take a look. If it's faster for you, you can get the info from Joe (assuming he has it handy). I authorize Joe to do that.

Otherwise, leave me an email and I'll send it to you.

Thanks!

-- Karl

• aecnu

Greetings @Jeffri,

How can Karl send you anything sir when you did not give him an email to send it to?

I have given my email up many times here so I can help members which is aecnu (at) incsub.com

Please consider posting your email ~or~ better yet visit Karl's site like I did and register.

Karl will happily take care of the rest getting you admin rights etc.

However, you may also need FTP access but that is for you two to work out.

Lets get Karl handled and this issue finally resolved please - I know you can do it!

Cheers, Joe

• karl_s

@Jeffri

Anybody home?

@aecnu

Hey Joe! Thanks for staying on top of this.

So it appears we are NOT out of the woods yet, and I am hopelessly confused. One of the first members of the site, who has never been able to access the Subscription/PayPal buttons at all, still can't! I thought after moving everybody onto the PayPal gateway that the issue would sort itself out, but apparently it hasn't. I had to manually upgrade her to Sustaining Member status. But even after that, she gets the same error messages anyway.

I'm really beginning to wonder if this Membership plugin doesn't have some serious and as yet unsquashed bugs in it. Or maybe it's just us. We're special, after all.

Ahem.

Joe, do you have any thoughts on this?

• karl_s

@aecnu

Unfortunately, I don't know any more than I showed you.

I've had several people tell me they can't sign up. The screenshot above shows one of the few detailed reports. But I don't know any of the parameters. I do know that many of the site visitors are not terribly computer savvy, which doesn't help matters. I've also had to ramp up the anti-spam measures to the point where some regs can't get in because their IP is blacklisted. I don't know if that might have something to do with it, too.

I suspect for every person that lets me know there's a problem, there's ten who don't - and just leave. Frankly, between you, me and the wall, I've just about had enough of this membership plugin! But at this point I have no choice but to keep using it. Well, that is, until I put a gun to my head.

I'm going to enlist the site regs to help on this and get back to you...

• Jeffri

Hi Karl,

I'm just looking on your site and have changed a little configuration on Membership plugin. In fact, all I did is just removing the [renewform] shortcode from the Subscription page. The shortcode is not needed as when you setup the Subscription page under Membership -> Options -> Membership Pages, the Membership plugin will take care of it and output everything nicely.

I also have created an account to check it in the user viewpoint and the subscription page should looks fine now. Actually, I had to fight with the multiple spam filter a bit as it won't let the account I created logged in. :slight_smile:

Hope it's all well.

Thank you.

Jeffri

• karl_s

@ Jeffri

OMG! You fixed it!!! I don't believe it. I never thought I'd see the day. Seriously!!!

I have no idea why the shortcode was there. If I put it there, I don't even recall doing so. I don't think it was me 'cause "homie don't mess dat" (short codes with the Membership plugin). But on the other hand, where did it come from?

No matter. It's fixed! Hooray! Thank you Jeffri!

And it turned out to be something stupid-simple. I remember seeing the shortcode on that page before and, being pretty new to all this, the light bulb never went on. I just assumed it was supposed to be there. Gah!

Sorry to hear you ran into trouble with the security protections. We're having to run heavy duty defenses because of the HORDES of spammers that have been trying to get through.

OK. We're good to go on that long-vexing issue (3 months, more or less). :-o

@acenu

The only possible outstanding issue is the one I cited above, where some folks are reporting that the Subscription buttons don't work right. I suspect that it's some other issue than the buttons, per se, but I wanted to wait until Jeffri had the page sorted before announcing the site wide test. I'm going to ask all the regs to go the Sub page and see if clicking the upgrade button takes them to PayPal. Feedback should tell me if it's a widespread issue or not.

I'd say at this point we can close this ticket unless you want to keep it open for the results of my test. But should there be an issue, I'd rather work with someone who already has some feel for things - i.e. YOU. So you tell me.

Either way, THANKS GUYS!!!

P.S.: Is this the longest thread here ever? If it's not, I DON'T want to hear about it. And I'm sure you don't either. :wink:

• aecnu

Greetings Karl,

Finally is right! And so happy that Jeffri found what the rest of us were looking for and find that sometimes the obvious blends right in ... lol

No this isnt the longest thread ever, but it is definitely on the long. The longest would probably go to the Directory plugin threads before Arnold took over on that plugin for the no longer with WPMU DEV developer Andrey.

Directory was eating us up in its bizarre coding and it took Arnold months to get it workable and re-keyed so to speak.

Happy that you are finally going now Karl.

Cheers, Joe

• karl_s

@aecnu

Hey Joe! Just wanted to give you a big, heartfelt THANKS for all your help over the many long months of this thread.

I'm not surprised to hear there are longer ones, but still... OMG!!!

Anyway, you ROCK brother, and I sent you a few points, too.

Keep up the great work. It's been a pleasure working with you, even if the job(s) at hand have been anything but at times. Yikes.

I wish you the happiest of Happy Holidaze, my friend.

:smiley:

All the Best,
    Karl

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.