Maximum image size for header?

Our headers are taking WAY too long to load, but I bulk smushed ALL my media. What's the lowest size I can make the headers? Please help - they need to load wayy faster.

Moreover, when I press "Super-Smush" on any individual picture, nothing happens! It's been doing this for a while now.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Heather, Michael here!

Size in terms of file size, or dimensions? I do see that there's over 23 MB of content being loaded on the home page:

http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/clHQzq/http://www.buckheadmagazine.com/

I'd want to see about resizing some of the images in use on the site, as that'll have it's own impact on load times.

I also took the liberty of enabling the "Smush Original Image" option in the WP Smush Pro settings (though as it notes, when the original image gets huge, like some of the images on the site presently), it's off by default as huge images shouldn't really be used.

You may wish to try re-uploading some of your images, and re-smushing them, to see if that lessens the load times for you.

Let me know if this helps please! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Heather

Michael,
    BOTH: size in terms of fils AND dimensions.

I've researched the maximum size file to upload for quality, and set all my photos to that... Since that's not working, what's your expert opinion on the file size (pixels too) an image should be - PLEASE just give me a ballpark...

I'll go through and resize bigger pictures, but on my home page I only have one correctly sized picture and a few thumbnails at the bottom... Why is that taking so long to load?? This is why I purchased the plugin.

Why don't I see anything happen when I press super-smush on an individual picture?????

To sum up:

1-Your file size recommendation for all media
    2-Why is the home page taking so long since it's a few correctly-sized pictures?
    3-What's the point of the blue "super smush" button if it doesn't do anything?
    4 -What exactly does enabling the "smush original image" do? My boss unchecked that because he said he didn't want it, but I'm unsure!

Thank you so much!!

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Heather!

To answer your points here:

1-Your file size recommendation for all media

Frankly, it depends on:
    - How big the content area is, (you don't want an image that's larger than the content area [ e.g. a 700px by 700px image in a 300px by 300px area], it'll just waste the time of your site visitors)
    - How much detail actually needs to be shown in an image? You may have a larger scene to display, but how much of a scene do you need to get the point across? Could a smaller (in dimensions) file be used?

Those are two things only you can really answer, as the answer to those two questions can vary depending on the situation. :slight_smile:

2-Why is the home page taking so long since it's a few correctly-sized pictures?

In addition to images, the scripts that are loading on the page would also need to be considered as well.

I did notice though, that the 2nd & third images on the first row of the home page are in .png format, I'd want to try converting them to .jpg instead.

For photos, you generally want .jpg, otherwise it'd be .png (though there can be cases where .jpg would be still suitable for a non-photographic image, it depends on the image).

3-What's the point of the blue "super smush" button if it doesn't do anything?

It could be that there's something wrong with one of the thumbnails for that image, one thing that can be done would be to use a plugin like this:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/force-regenerate-thumbnails/

To regenerate the thumbnails manually for an image.

4 -What exactly does enabling the "smush original image" do? My boss unchecked that because he said he didn't want it, but I'm unsure!

When an image gets uploaded to the site, in addition to the original image being available to be inserted, WordPress generates additional copies (in varying sizes, depending on how the thumbnails have been configured on the site), and by default, WP Smush Pro only smushes those thumbnails.

The reason for this is that for large, high quality images (like those taken with a high end digital camera), posting that original image on the web really hurts the performance of the site, due to the load time.

That said, if you're still wanting to use the original image, you can enable this option to have WP Smush Pro work it's magic on that image as well.

Kind Regards,
    Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.