Maximum number sites

Today I was notified that I have reached the maximum number of sites for my membership.... What is this BS? When I became a member there was no maximum mentioned.
I am just using 2 or 3 plugins so this limit seem ridiculous to me.

This does not seem to be a developers license ???? and certainly not "elite"

Regards, Henk van den Bor
Netherlands

• James Dunn

Good day @Henk

Great quesiton and it can be confusing to understand sometimes.

You can use the plugins and themes obtained from WPMUDev on as many website installations as you wish. The "limit" that you've hit is the limit on the number of websites that you can link to your account - such as the videos in the admin dashboard - I think that's limited by your membership level. I believe that monthly members get 10 sites and annual members get 20 sites. This also applies to how many sites you can register for the auto updates notification I think.

Regardless, you are not prevented from using the plugins on more sites - you just don't get the "benefits" of some of the little niceties that you can have on some. Simply choose your sites that have these capabilities carefully - if the capabilities are even important to you.

I manage over 70 websites and I don't think I have even ONE site registered - just to give you an idea of how I use this capability (or not use it).

Hope this makes it clearer.

James Dunn
    Athens, GA USA

• proseo

That was one of the things I discovered as well after signing up. Kind of like the isp's that advertise that you have unlimited everything, only to find out in the fine print, that it really isn't. I understand the need to limit such things, just disconcerting that the marketing of a product takes over and clouds certain realities. Doesn't leave the best customer service impression, no matter what the justification. I have lots of respect for companies that spell out clearly what the terms are.

• James Dunn

Goodday @proseo

I don't mean to appear "mean" here, so please don't take it that way. But, did you read the Terms of Service? If you'll note under section #3 API Access - it clearly states how many sites you get the soft API access to - and how you can overcome the limits if you need to.

Read that section and it describes it better than I did above.

Also, I don't think there's anything sinister or hidden here. When you sign up, you tick that box that says you read the TOS. If you tick that box and didn't read it, that's not the fault of WPMUDev. That's your fault for not reading it and saying you did. It's pretty doggone clear to me - that's why I'm a bit stingy where I use it - plus I haven't had a need to use it otherwise.

Take a few minutes to read the TOS and see if you agree with me. If you don't agree, that's fine. Regardless of whether you agree, like Prego Spaghetti sauce - "it's in there."

James Dunn
    Athens, GA USA

• proseo

Totally understand. That wasn't my point though. Of course it's in the TOS, but the marketing gives an overwhelming impression of totally free. It's not a problem, just leaves an impression that is somewhat different than the TOS. Don't say unlimited, if it's really unlimited...except. As I had said about lower end isp's that advertise unlimited everything (there are many of them), you find out that it really isn't true. My whole point is not that it is limited, or that it's in the TOS, just that the marketing does lead you to a different impression. A simple * beside the word unlimited with a one line disclaimer would totally eliminate any confusion and would go a long way towards giving people an impression of total openness.

Say what you will about the TOS. Yes it legally imparts the necessary info. What I'm talking about is simple customer impression. All the TOS's in the world won't change that. Tell people upfront and you'll find they are amazingly understanding and will respect you for it. I understand the economic need to have such limits, just don't wait until section #3 of API access to talk about it, when a one sentence disclaimer would make it clear.

• Mark Wallace

Prego Spaghetti sauce - "it's in there."

Oh James lol My coffe dripped from my mouth to my shirt when when read that.

But you are correct, i was taught that lesson with my first cell phone. Back when they on/off peak times. One week after signing up they shortend the off peak hours. Yep it stated in the contract they could do that. I never read it, i just wanted my first cell phone. lol

• Mark Wallace

All of our plugins can be installed on any number of sites you own or develop for a client. For automatic updates and in-dashboard support provided by our WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin, we do however have a soft API limit. Don’t worry if you have more sites you can simply deactivate one and activate the other, swapping them as often as you need. Need even more? Contact us and we’ll assist you with this.
    Elite (12 Month) members get 20 domains.
    Pro (3 Month) members get 10 domains.
    Monthly members get 5 domains.

There is your answer fella's. They give you an option. Just deactivate the dashboard on all but one site, when its time for updates then activate >> Update>> deactivate! If you need more antisplog Then Contact@wpmydev.com. You can always add a monthly service fee to your clients to pay for addtional usage. Enjoy!

• Kimberly

Hello guys!

If you check out the front page of the site we only use the word "unlimited" in respect to support. In the FAQ you can find this

Can I use your plugins and themes on lots of different sites?
    Yes, you can use WPMU DEV plugins and themes on as many different sites as you like.

and that is true. What you, @Henk are referring to is this
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-admin/users.php?page=wdpun

Its a limitation on the API usage, not the plugin usage. You can use the plugins on as many sites as you want, just uninstall the Dashboard plugin. If you are registering the site's API then it gets listed on this page and counted. There is nothing limiting you from moving around the Dashboard plugin to use on as many sites as you wish, as long as you don't exceed the API limit at any given time.

This limit on API has nothing to do with members and fooling folks, it's actually something we put in place to protect our members. It helps to keep the abuse of the API down for those who make a living building sites. It helps to keep them from dumping the support responsibility of their client's sites onto WPMU DEV with no respect for our paying developers and members.

@JamesDunn you are always so clear headed and responsible with information, I truly believe you read the TOS on everything :slight_smile: I am so very guilty of NOT doing that, but I learned quickly.

We don't aim to trick anyone. Our goal is to create a service that is Fair in terms of use and application for everyone. Often one bad apple spoils the bunch, and we have had to take measures to ensure that abuse stays to a minimum, because it was a rampant problem recently. It's only fair to you guys that we try to do what we can.

Best,

Kimberly

• Henk

Hello Guys,

Thanks for answering... I understand your points, but I still dislike the whole procedure. In fact I detest the update/dashboard plugin you have been constricting us to use.
    It has way to many options and takes up to much time to configure on client sites. As I always try to keep sites as lean as possible, to me its just unwanted luggage.

Disabling the dashboard plugin just puts a nagbar in the backend view for all users, so its not possible to just use the plugin

I just want to use a plugin and be done with it. (to manage updates etc. I use better plugins like ManageWP)

Now that I have tried your plugins/membership for a while I have come to the conclusion that as soon as I have alternatives for the plugins I will replace the wpmudev ones.
    Its not the quality of the plugins or service... its just the fact that its too present and wastes too much of my time :slight_smile:

When I signed up it was to have access to the plugins... and the whole management plugin did not even exist in its current bloated form.

As for the 20 max. well I never asked for the service in the first place.. so how can I disable the lot and just use the plain plugins ???

Have a nice day (and don't forget to watch Usain)

• Kimberly

Directly from the Usage Page for the Dashboard:

1. When a user enters an api key it will begin to limit the entire plugin view to just that username. This great when using on client websites.

If you have an older version installed then simply visit Manage page and save your settings, this will then restrict it to your username.

2. If you get locked out or need to enable a different user, or want to enable multiple users, you can simply put this in your wp-config.php file:

Place these just above the following line:
    /* That’s all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */
    define(“WPMUDEV_LIMIT_TO_USER”, “1?); – for one user.
    define(“WPMUDEV_LIMIT_TO_USER”, “1, 10?); – Or enter a comma separated list for multiple users. They are all user IDs

3. If you want to totally hide everything so its not visible to anyone then simply use the following in your wp-config.php:

Place these just above the following line:
    /* That’s all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */
    define(‘WPMUDEV_HIDE_BRANDING’, true);

Note: Your API key is your own, and should not be shared with your clients, doing so would give them access to your WPMU Dev account.

All of our plugins can be installed on any number of sites you own or develop for a client. We do however have an API limit. But don’t worry if you have more sites you can simply deactivate one and activate the other, swapping them as often as you need.

Elite (12 Month) members get 20 domains.
    Pro (3 Month) members get 10 domains.
    Monthly members get 5 domains.
    If you are on our Elite package and absolutely need more API domains then please feel free to get in touch so we can discuss this further.
    Enjoy!

Full disclosure. :slight_smile:

(and don't forget to watch Usain)

don't get this one....

• Timothy Bowers

Hey guys.

If you really want to just remove the notice there are number of threads in the forums which instruct you where to remove the call. I do it myself on some installs.

For example:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/how-do-i-remove-the-update-plugin-notification-from-dashboard#post-236117

Kim, Usain Bolt is a runner in the Olympics :wink:

I think that is who he refers to.

Take care.

• Timothy Bowers

Why should I ?

Why shouldn't you?

I don't know that's you choice to make. When you activate it it locks into your account so only you can update and install plugins unless of course you use the constant mentioned on the usage page, that would let you change who can use it.

It would make it easier for you to update their site, you could still even charge them a premium for the privilege of updating and maintaining the code parts. Protects your plugins from being overwritten by wordpress.org

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-dev/update-notifications-plugin-information/

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.