Member-owned post information hiarchy

I need users to Add A Topic.
Then I need that user to have that topic at any number of locations.
Then I need other users to be able to vote for this.user presenting this.topic at this.location, and if the location does not exist, add it.

so... how can i have a user create a post topic, and have other users vote for a specific location?

what is the best way to have a custom field dropdown of locations where each value of the custom field (county) has its own integer count?

basicly, a 2d array, php-plugin mode

• Kimberly

Hello phi!

I'm afraid I'm a bit lost on the

Then I need that user to have that topic at any number of locations.

I am not quite sure how you mean.

You can create a custom post type creator to create your specific type of taxonomy in accordance to the custom post type with CustomPress.

Or you can use the Post voting plugin and organize the locations by category.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/custompress/

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/post-voting-plugin/

Perhaps I could elaborate a bit more if you could paint a bit clearer of a picture for me :slight_smile: Sorry I'm slow getting this, I'm still sleepy from the Christmas Turkey

Kimberly

• phi_marketing

This is about to be an indepth conversation. I'm finding myself at a sort of soduko stalemate in how everything might fit together for this One situation. (I'm sorry, i'll try and word things well. I'll also try not to ask about too many subjects at a time. even if [i find them] related. Its my biggest problem in searching for plugings. i find myself searching table keys and functions for hours. for instance, i needed a user to be able to view another users posts-by-author on that authors profile page, but could only ever find current_user...... eventually i found a great specialty plugin that adds a 'posts' tab to each users profile page.... epicness after multi-searches of toil)

anyways, so here goes....<HR>
    ------------------------------------------------------
    i need a POST where your able to 'vote' for a USER to present a TOPIC at a LOCATION.
    I figure a custom field would work better than a category because each post has only one location, and therefore each post has one vote count.

1a.
    I would prefer to have each posts have a field_array locations, and have each location votable. My best way to do this would be to have wordpress present each meta_value of LocationsArray as a Meta_key for an integer, and have an integer update THAT meta_key. Is this possible?
    1b.
    Assuming this is not yet possible (i dont want to write a plugin) my next best option is a post template that suggest a dropbox of alternative locations. If this location has already been presented, you will be directed to its votable post. if this location has not been presented, you will create a duplicate post with this alternate location (which will then be votable)
    1c.
    I hope i havent lost you, this is 1 out of 4 :stuck_out_tongue:. Now, my current speedlined method I'm falling back on is that the SPEAKER when presenting a TOPIC idea will specify a LOCATION. and thats it. if someone were to want that topic closer to them, they would have to communicate through messeges, and share post links after they were hand-duplicated with a new location.... which is... bleh.

if 1a is possible... thank goodness.
    if 1b is possible... I could really use help on having a template for 'posts with same author and same topic, and an ?ajax? dropdown box that will activate a counter update for the specific selected postID
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I need a dropdown field of states (doable). Then, based on the value of that dropdown field, i need an automatic dropdownbox of counties. idk where to start.
    I tried GEO at WP plugin, but it is both too free and too detailed
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is about the counter. im not inclined to use your vote app. im using 'thankyoubuttonplugin' which works well for [1b] and [1c]. not [1a]. I do have a question about it, but I'll hold off for that reason :slight_smile:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

its so nice to type that all out instead of messing with google,
    phi

• Kimberly

Unfortunately we don't have a search filter to provide the dropdowns of custom fields. I would suggest you might look into Formidable Pro or Gravity Forms for any combo of the functionality you describe above. they would give you the best way to create custom fields AND a form.

As for viewing a profile...WP restricts that automatically. It automatically archives the posts per author but is only available on it's own archive page, not in the WP profile which is unviewable by anyone besides the account holder.

Buddypress might be something to look into if you want to base all of these things on profiles and people :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.