Member Plugins & Themes for WP Multisite

Hi, Friends and Developers

I am building a WordPress website as a membership multisite with the following situations:

A. A new user registers and immediately creates a subdomain by himself eg. user.site.com and blogs it immediately or anytime he wants.

B. I install 5 plugins and 5 themes.

Questions:

1. I want him to select one of the 5 themes and he can change to another theme anytime without the admin power. But the change is within the 5 themes. Is that possible?

2. I want him to install and use any theme (beside the five). Is that possible or how?

3. I want him to set up his own pages/posts, menus, header/footer and sidebars. Is that included in the multisite plugin?

I'm looking forward to your help.

Vi

• aristath

Hello there @Victory, and welcome to the wpmudev community!

1. I want him to select one of the 5 themes and he can change to another theme anytime without the admin power. But the change is within the 5 themes. Is that possible?

You can install 5 themes and network-activate them.This way the site owner will be able to choose any of these 5 themes. However, by default blog owners are admins on their own sites, and only admins can select themes! You could "hack" a solution by changing the default user role assigned to site owners and then hard-code some extra permissions so that they may choose the theme they want, but that would have complications...

2. I want him to install and use any theme (beside the five). Is that possible or how?

This is not possible. The reason is quite simple... doing so would be a sever security risk.
    I can for example add a single line on the functions.php file of my theme and become superadmin without you knowing. I'd be able to steal all the user data on your site and edit any file I wanted without you knowing.
    This is forbidden by default in WordPress.

3. I want him to set up his own pages/posts, menus, header/footer and sidebars. Is that included in the multisite plugin?

Yes, blog owners have that ability. :slight_smile:

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.