Member Recurring Payment decision assistance requested

We're developing a recurring payment membership site. I have been studying Membership Plugin, and need some specific info on its current capacity:

1) Which payment gateways are currently supported for recurring payment?

2) One of the big issues in recurring payment is handling failed billings. Does Membership have any way of catching failed recurring payments so that we can run a script when that happens?

3) If Membership Plugin doesn't have any way of trapping for failed subscription payments it seems we might be able to trap via a notification post from the Gateway. Has anyone done this? We'd want to then run a script that sets a person's profile to blocked until their subscription is reestablished. Your thoughts on this?

Also, if anyone out there has developed along these lines, we would be interested in hiring your expertise in these regards.

Thanks!
Mark Winstein
http://markwinstein.com

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya!

1) Which payment gateways are currently supported for recurring payment?

At present, PayPal supports subscriptions fine whereas Authorize.net and 2Checkout only support monthly subscriptions. I'll ask for confirmation on that though.

2) Do you mean in a way that you can hook into with a custom script? I believe it does know when payments fail but not sure where that would be stored. I'll ask the developer to chime in on that one.

Cheers,
    Phil

• Mark Winstein
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Phil,

You wrote

"At present, PayPal supports subscriptions fine whereas Authorize.net and 2Checkout only support monthly subscriptions."

I'm not clear on this. My goal is to learn which gateways support automated recurring billing.

And, yes, looking forward to learning what happens when an automated recurring payment fails and how we might hook onto that to take some action or another.

Thanks again,
    Mark

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Mark,

Sorry for the delay here, I'll be happy to clarify these things.

The Authorize.net and 2Checkout gateways in Membership do not currently support recurring payments as do the PayPal Express gateways. These things are being looked into by the developers and are in the plans, they're simply not available just yet.

Hope that helps explain the current state of the gateways!

-David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.