Member Roles Across BuddyPress Multi-Site

Okay, this is a little embarrassing because I know this is totally a newbie question; yet I have seen conflicting answers to this given in different places, and I need to get this straight:

On a BuddyPress install with Network Multi-Site enabled, are all BuddyPress members also Subscriber members (or whatever the network admin chose as the default in Network Settings) of *all* the blogs created by members on the network? And if that's true, if the "Allow site administrators to add new users to their site via the Users ? Add New page" button is checked in Network Settings, does that allow member blogs to have their own members *in addition to* the main BuddyPress members, or *in place* of them?

Please forgive my ignorance. My thanks in advance --

• Philip John

Hiya!

@Chris I don't think @conkhead is referring to the Membership plugin as she only mentions BuddyPress and Multisite in the post. Appreciate you're trying to help but please ensure you understand the OP fully before doing so.

Don't worry about stupid questions, it's how we all learn :wink: ...and this user role thing can get very confusing. I decided to run through some tests to actually see exactly what happens in order to answer your question. Here's what I found...

A new user, registered through BuddyPress is added to the network as a user but not assigned to any sites and so doesn't have a role on any site.

The "Allow site administrators to add new users to their site via the Users > Add New page" setting means that any sub-site admin can add any existing network user (such as the one I just created) to their site with a user role of their choosing.

If a sub-site admin adds a completely new user, they are automatically a network user as well as sub-site user. That means they'll automatically get a BuddyPress account.

Hope that helps!

Phil

• conkhead

Thank you, Phil (and sorry Chris, but Phil is right: my question had nothing to do with the Membership plugin! But thanks for the effort) for taking the time to actually run some tests.

Dammit, this issue is *way* more arcane than I ever thought it would be; I have the BuddyPress "Dummies" book and at least a dozen major reference volumes on Wordpress 3, and *not one of them* takes the time to explain this. I can't imagine that I'm the only person on the planet that needs to know this stuff.

One more question on this; I think I know the answer, but I figure now I must confirm: Any new user signed up to a BuddyPress account does have a role (Subscriber?) on the *original blog* BuddyPress is built on, right? Because that's how BuddyPress keeps track of its members, correct? Thanks again everyone.

• Philip John

Any new user signed up to a BuddyPress account does have a role (Subscriber?) on the *original blog* BuddyPress is built on, right?

Nope :slight_smile:

As my quick tests above showed, signing up through BuddyPress added me as a user to the network, but didn't assign me a user role on *any* of the network sites, not even the main site.

One basic premise is that all users go into the network users table. From there users can be added to the main site, sub-sites or no sites at all. Only when users are added to a site do they get a role for that site.

I see why you think a BuddyPress user should have a role on the main site - because of the basic premise above. However....

BuddyPress acts almost as another sub-site but the premise is different in that users don't need to be assigned a role for BuddyPress, or the site it's on. Instead, every user in the network has a BuddyPress profile. See the attached diagram which may help with the thinking by showing BP on the same level as the main and sub-sites.

Phil

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.