Member Updated Card Information, Created Entirely New Account in Stripe

Team WPMU,

A member, after many attempts to update his card information finally was able to -- and it created a separate record in Stripe not connected to his site.

I am beside myself at this point -- if I could throw pro-sites out the window, I would. Ever since the big 3.5 update, this plugin has been a nightmare.

Please tell me:
a) How to fix this guy's account
b) Why it is nearly impossible for members to update their information
c) How to resolve the continuing struggles with Pro-Sites managing the paying members.

Every single month I have a payment issue directly related to Pro-Sites "forgetting" that a member exists. I continue to have the dropped member problem that has plagued this plugin for a year. EVERY SINGLE MONTH.

Please fix this. It is my number one complaint amongst users. They're patient, but this is ridiculous and has been for a while.

The (current!) user in question is Blog ID 40.

Customers still having issues are Blog ID 39 and Blog ID 169

Stripe charges them, but their site is expired anyway. Any attempt to use the "Stripe Reconnect Button" results in failure and an expiration notice.

Support Access is granted.

Rob

Rupok

Hi Rob

Hope you had a wonderful day.

it created a separate record in Stripe not connected to his site

Well, a separated record in Stripe can be created, it's on Stripe, but that should be connected to his site. I tried to regenerate the issue on my test site, I manually removed Pro Sites status from a subdomain, then renewed subscription, and during checkout, I updated my Credit Cart Information, I also check-marked "Replace my previous card information" and when the payment was done, my site was updated. So new record is connected to my site. I could tell you better about the issue if I could see it live, check your current configuration and make some tests on your site.

a) How to fix this guy's account

When I updated my CC and paid with that, I got this information in my log:
    User modifying subscription via CC: Plan changed to (:: Cold WordPress Sites :: Pro: $10.00 for the first month, then $5.00 each month) - cus_8LrNpQC9wzYPsx
    But your blog ID 40 doesn't have any info about credit card change. So can you confirm your user paid finally with new credit card? And did he check "Replace my previous card information" ? If yes, can you manually remove his Pro Sites status, and ask him to pay in the process I just described?

b) Why it is nearly impossible for members to update their information

Actually it's very easy to update their information. During checkout, they will get option to pay with previous card, or pay with a new card. When they enter new card information and check "Replace my previous card information" and submit, their information is updated. It's that simple.

c) How to resolve the continuing struggles with Pro-Sites managing the paying

I'm sorry to hear the inconveniences you are having but I'm using Pro Sites on my test site for last couple of months, I'm updating my subscriptions every month to check different features, but I didn't face this many issues in my instance. And thousands of other people are using Pro Sites, we get complains rarely from them. So your issue is not a generic thing, rather, somehow those are creating problem in your site.

But we are here and trying our level best to solve your issues. With your cooperation, we can fix all of 'em I believe.

Please let us know if you have any further inquiry. We will be glad to help.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

jetmac

Hi, Rupok and thanks for chiming in.

My day's OK, but I am a bit worried about these issues with these specific accounts.

After the 3.5 Upgrade, a number of sites had multiple issues with Payment, especially in regards to Stripe. One of the results of that repair was the Stripe reconnect button, and that worked great for a majority of my accounts. However, these three began to have problems AFTER that fix was pushed, and no one has been able to resolve them.

I am getting the feeling that they are not related specifically to Pro-Sites, as, like you've said, many people use this plugin without these difficulties. I used it for 1.5 years without a single blip until 3.5. And, for a majority of my users there is no problem -- but the ones that have a problem really have it.

We have two kinds of people who update card information on the site, much as we do two kinds of payments -- those who go fine, and those that don't.

As there are only three members affected, and no repair effort seems to work over the last 6 months, should we just delete their accounts and tell them to re-enter everything? I don't mind doing that if I know it will work. They are as frustrated as I am with this, they'll go along with it.

But, even more from my side, I am highly concerned about payment issues with new clients. Just these three clients are causing incredible difficulty for me, as their accounts are utterly unstable. I am constantly getting a notice from one of them that their site has expired -- despite payment logged and received in Stripe. I can't keep up with that as we continue to scale.

I have no doubts that you can't recreate these errors -- but you also need to understand that this is a very real issue on my end, and the very uncertainty of it is causing my great concern. Truly, it is.

So, what should we do next?

The user who owns Blog ID 40 did indeed pay -- there is a pay record for him in Stripe. BUT, that charge is not connected to his blog. It somehow created a separate ID, did not tie it to an actual site, and took a payment. However, his payment in Stripe has NO metadata (usually it has a batch of info, including blog ID). This is the kind of crazy I'm talking about -- I don't even know how that could have happened -- but it did. It definitely happened.

The other two, Blog ID 39 and 169, have payment taken out each month -- but their sites are expired each month as well. The Stripe reconnect button doesn't work for them. Blog ID 39 doesn't even have subscription information showing in Pro-Sites anymore. I don't understand it. Those accounts are simply out of sync with Stripe and are not connecting.

Regarding change in CC information -- is there a tutorial I can cite to walk people through the process? Just to have it on standby or in our FAQs? I would have thought it was self evident, but evidently it is not.

I'm happy and willing to work through anything in any steps -- I just need this problem to go away. I've got a zillion other things that need my attention...

Let me know what we need to do next.

Rob

Umesh Kumar

Rob, for the expiry issue. Does the subscription appears ok on the Strip account?

In the latest release, I've added a check to fetch the latest expiry date from the Gateway, before marking a site expired.

So, unless the stripe account and the blog is not interacting properly, it should work fine.

Blog - 39, Yeah, only manual payments are there, no more stripe details.

For other two, strip details are still there, but the webhooks are not coming in. That happened after the card details update?

I'd need to lookup the site and stripe though. I can drop you a mail on one of our old conversation, if you'd like to. Or you can send a another support request from the contact form with "Attn. Umesh Kumar"

Thanks

Kasia Swiderska

Hello Rob,

Thank you for this detailed information. I've send message to developer on how to fix this issue with those three members on your site (if canceling and resubscribing is right option here). Developer is not currently online, when I will get feedback I will update thread.

Regarding change in CC information -- is there a tutorial I can cite to walk people through the process? Just to have it on standby or in our FAQs? I would have thought it was self evident, but evidently it is not.

At this moment there is no information about this in the manual for Pro Sites - this was feature that was added not so long ago and from what I know it needs more work on UX. I will drop a line to usage page writer if this info can be included to manual.

kind regards,
    Kasia