Members area with one login/password for all members

Hi

I had created a website with a members-only area (including pages, a custom post type and a bbpress forum) but my client has decided they would like all members to be given the SAME password to access this area, and that this password should change at the end of every year. They do not want each member to have their own username/password (unless they want to take part in the forum).

I know I can individually password protect each page, but I'm not sure how this would work with the custom posts and the elements of the forum (inc keeping them out of search results)? Also, I don't know if there would be a simple way to change the password at the year end?

I wonder if anyone has any ideas? Perhaps I should create a completely separate WordPress install for the 'members area' and protect this mini-site with a single password?

Any genius suggestions welcome!

• Ivan Shulev
    • The Bug Hunter

Hey Mariette ,

I hope you are having a nice day so far!

They do not want each member to have their own username/password (unless they want to take part in the forum).

I assume the users with the same password will have only read capabilities? I would suggest using one user account for all of them. It would make management much easier.

I don't know if there would be a simple way to change the password at the year end?

You can use WP Cron - https://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wp_cron. This will allow you to schedule a task once a year. Regarding the task itself, it could remind the admin to change it himself.

I hope this helps and I wish you an awesome day ahead!

Ivan

• Mariette
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Do you mean I use a membership plugin and create a membership tier with only one member?

Would that work with the forum? If they have logged in with this one username then won't everyone be identified as the same person in the forum?

I thought perhaps if the Members Area was just password protected (no username needed for access) then the members could still create their own username etc to participate in the forum?

• Mariette
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Alex - I'm not sure it's helpful to tell me it's silly to want a simple password-protected area of the site. That's what my client wants so that's what I need to achieve.

As I said in the beginning, I've been down the membership route and they don't want that.

The important points are:

A single password to protect a whole section of the site
    The password changes annually (so mustn't be too time-consuming to change)
    The private area includes pages, downloads, custom posts and a forum (currently using bbpress)

I know I could use the inbuilt WordPress password-protect functionality for at least some of this but I'm concerned about the robustness of this method, and the work involved in changing the password annually.

thanks
    Mariette

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.