Members automatically gain back premium access some time after cancelling their account

Hello. I am using the most recent version of Membership 3.5.1.5. This problem existed in 3.5.1.4 as well. But I thought it was going to be fixed in version 3.5.1.5.

After a user cancels his account, and receives the cancellation notice from PayPal, some time after they automatically get moved back into the paid subscription. They don't get charged from PayPal anymore, but they have access to all the premium content the paid members have access to, even though he cancelled!

Here's the way my site works. The plugin authors know the exact way my site functions from previous posts and have said its fine as I have it.

SETTINGS:

1) Stranger Access Level is set to Visitors.

2) Default Subscription for Registered Users is set to Pending Membership subscription.
--> The check box "Assign first subscription level to new users" is NOT checked (the plugin developers agreed this does not apply to my site.)
--> This "Pending Membership" subscription's level has the Mode set to "Indefinite"
--> This "Pending Membership" subscription's level has the Period set to "1 Day"

3) The paid subscription the user get's placed in AFTER purchasing the membership through PayPal is called the "Player's P**** Membership" (which is the membership where all the premium content is available.)
--> I have 2 access levels in this subscription and both are the same. They are both the same access level because I am using a coupon to charge half price for the first payment cycle, and then full price on the auto renew.
--> The first access level has a mode of "Finite" and for testing purposes has a Period of "2 Days"
--> The second access level has a mode of "Serial" and a Period of "2 Days"

REGISTRATION/PURCHASE FLOW:

1) The user registers for an account, and gets placed into the Pending Membership subscription. This is good.

2) The user uses a coupon, completes the purchase through PayPal, and is placed in the Player's P**** Membership, thus gaining access to the premium content on my website. This is good.

3) When the membership auto renews after the first cycle (set to 2 days for testing purposes), the user is charged full price (they were charged half price the first cycle because of the coupon.) This is good.

4) After the second auto renewal, the user cancels his account in PayPal.

5) After the next 2 days, the user loses his access and is automatically moved back into the Pending Membership subscription. This is good.

6) HOWEVER, for some unknown reason, the user automatically moves back into the paid "Player's P**** Membership" even though they cancelled their membership and are no longer paying PayPal! I assumed the user would stay stuck in the Pending Membership subscription until he decided to re-purchase the subscription through PayPal (and if he didn't re-purchase it, he would just stay in Pending Membership.)

QUESTIONS:

1) What do you think of all of this? How is a user getting placed back into the Player's P**** Membership (the paid subscription) a couple of days after cancelling his account and successfully moving back into the Pending Membership subscription after his paid membership reaches an end to its last cycle?

2) You agree that a user should stay stuck in the "Pending Membership" subscription after cancelling his membership, and that being automatically moved back into a paid subscription is not how the plugin should function, right?

2) I have the Pending Membership subscription's mode set to "Indefinite" and the "Period" set to "1 Day" Does the fact I chose "1 Day" as the Period have anything to do with this? I assumed having the Mode set to "Indefinite" meant the user would be stuck in that subscription forever until he re-purchased his membership through PayPal, and that the Period is pretty much useless. If that's not true what should I set the Period to?

3) Under Membership > Configuration, I have "Membership Renewal" and "Membership Upgrades" set to the max of 365 days. Does this setting affect anything on website? Should the number of days they are set to be something different?

I appreciate any help or suggestions you can offer.

Thank you,
Nick

• PC

Hello there Nick,

Thanks for posting on the forums.

While I am answering it, I have also included @Rheinard in this thread so that he is aware of this as having been discussed before.

1) What do you think of all of this? How is a user getting placed back into the Player's P**** Membership (the paid subscription) a couple of days after cancelling his account and successfully moving back into the Pending Membership subscription after his paid membership reaches an end to its last cycle?

That can either be due to cache or may be the cancel notification for that membership did not reach the Membership plugin. Is there a pattern ? Anything we can specifically focus on ? Like its happening for any particular level only ?

2) You agree that a user should stay stuck in the "Pending Membership" subscription after cancelling his membership, and that being automatically moved back into a paid subscription is not how the plugin should function, right?

Ideally it should happen like this.

User signs up for a 2 day paid membership and cancels it.
    The user's subscription would be cancelled but he would not move to pending membership till those x days of access has expired as he has already paid for it. I hope that is not the case on your site ? Did you make sure you gave it those x days of wait time ?

2) I have the Pending Membership subscription's mode set to "Indefinite" and the "Period" set to "1 Day" Does the fact I chose "1 Day" as the Period have anything to do with this? I assumed having the Mode set to "Indefinite" meant the user would be stuck in that subscription forever until he re-purchased his membership through PayPal, and that the Period is pretty much useless. If that's not true what should I set the Period to?

That is true so we need not worry about that. I just recommend setting a higher value there as if by accident you select any other period (Serial etc) that's not going to cause issues :slight_smile:

3) Under Membership > Configuration, I have "Membership Renewal" and "Membership Upgrades" set to the max of 365 days. Does this setting affect anything on website? Should the number of days they are set to be something different?

Yes they should be different. If you set the upgrade limit to 365 days, the membership user can not upgrade their subscription before 365 days. In the same way a higher renewal day count will result in showing the upgrade button all the times in the users subscriptions page. So that will keep confusing the user.

Please advise.

Cheers, PC

• Nick

Hi @Mac and @Rheinard,

To follow up on your comments...

#1) There is no pattern because its happening to all users who cancel their membership at some point. I am only using two subscriptions: 1) Pending Membership (default subscription for registered users) and 2) Player's P**** Membership (paid)

It seems like the cancellation notification does reach the Membership plugin because after the user cancels the preapproved payment in PayPal, once the subscription runs out they are placed in the Pending Membership subscription (which I thought they would if the plugin was notified by PayPal that the user cancelled his account?)

#2) Yes exactly. After he cancelled, he would still have access to the premium content until the cycle ran out because he paid for those days. Once the cycle ran out and he would have been auto renewed, he moves to the Pending Membership subscription because he cancelled. I did wait a sufficient amount of time for the cycles to complete.

But then after he is moved to Pending Membership after cancelling, and then somehow moved back to the paid subscription, he stays in the paid subscription forever...never paying anything else to PayPal because in PayPal's mind he has cancelled and should not longer be charged, even though he is back into the paid subscription on my website!

#2 (the second #2)) Okay I will set a higher value just for safe keeping.

#3) I don't offer upgrades in my website. So sine I don't use the upgrade functionality, would the values I choose on these two fields have no effect on my site? I assume so, but what do you think if I'm not offering the ability to upgrade?

Thank you thank you thank you!

• PC

Hello there Nick,

Thanks for posting back.

It seems like the cancellation notification does reach the Membership plugin because after the user cancels the preapproved payment in PayPal, once the subscription runs out they are placed in the Pending Membership subscription (which I thought they would if the plugin was notified by PayPal that the user cancelled his account?)

I am confused at the setup inside the PlayersP membership. I see that you have setup the first level as finite 1 years and the next as serial 1 years. Why have you done so ?

You should simply use Serial 1 years as in both the cases it will renew after every year. It will cause confusion on the frontend.

Also as you have set this to 1 year, how will you test that to make sure its working fine ?

don't offer upgrades in my website. So sine I don't use the upgrade functionality, would the values I choose on these two fields have no effect on my site?

If you are not offering upgrades then the upgrade limit will not cause any issues.

Cheers, PC

• Nick

Hi @Mac,

I am offering a coupon for $10 off the first year's membership only. Every other year's membership (year 2, year 3, and so on) would be regular price.

So I needed a way to give the discount to ONLY the first year. I asked this question to the WPMU support team and I was told to do this by setting up a Finite access level for the first year (to use for the coupon and setting the coupon to only apply for Finite levels) and then setting up a serial level for every other year.

Does that make sense? Do you not think that's the best approach?

Up until yesterday I had the subscription period set to 2 days so I was able to test. These are the steps I took:

1) Purchase a membership. I used the coupon code and saved $10.

2) After 2 days, the subscription automatically renewed, and I was charged the regular price (the coupon was only for the first cycle...which was 2 days in my test.)

3) Cancelled my membership via PayPal. I still had access to the premium content until the current cycle of 2 days ran out.

4) After 2 days, I lost my access to the premium content in the paid subscription. I was moved back to the Pending Membership.

5) After another 2 days, I got back into the premium content and somehow was moved back to the paid subscription. I checked with PayPal and my account was still listed as cancelled and I was not being charged anything. I was now stuck in the paid subscription forever, all the while not paying anything for it!

I couldn't wait any longer to launch my website, so I changed my cycles from 2 days to 1 year. My site is now live to the world. I would love a fix for this bug though at some point. Do you not encounter this behavior on your test site?

Thank you,
    Nick

• PC

Hello Nick,

Thanks for posting back.

Does that make sense? Do you not think that's the best approach?

I think we should try and use Serial once. The coupon should be applied to the first payment only. Did you not see that on your install ?

Its not like that the way you have got this setup would not work, it will work so if you want to leave as it is, that is totally fine :slight_smile:

I would love a fix for this bug though at some point. Do you not encounter this behavior on your test site?

I am afraid I am not able to see this on my lab site. Can you keep an eye out for anything like this if that happens again ?

If you have a test site where you can replicate this, we can have a closer look and help test things to see if we can find anything.

Please advise.

Cheers, PC

• Nick

Hi @Mac,

Thank you for your response. Ugh I was told by another staff member to set up the coupons exactly the way I have it. I followed their directions exactly for setting up the Finite level and then the Serial level. But now you are telling me I should have set up just a Serial coupon? Then why did another staff member say it would not work that way and I had to set up a finite level and a serial level? I am at a loss here. Every time I ask a question I get conflicting answers and all I do over and over and over again is change settings based on what a staff member says, only to change it back, or to something else, when a different staff member responds to my ticket. Who am I supposed to listen too? Staff member A or staff member B or staff member C because all 3 give me different answers and tells me something will absolutely work or will absolutely not work, and then I hear the complete opposite by someone else. I just don't know what to do anymore.

As far as this issue, I can tell you it happens. A user gains back their premium access after cancelling. I have submitted 3 tickets about this same issue because no one can answer it. For all 3 tickets I provided a test site and no one said or did anything. Hearing you ask me to set up a test site for this makes me so frustrated because I have been asking about this on 3 different tickets. Now my site is live, and I already changed my subscription cycles to 1 year, so there's no way to test my site. This is why for months and months I have been begging the support staff to look into this across 3 different tickets and nothing was ever done. So after all those months you ask me to set up a test site? I am truly at a loss. I don't know what to say anymore.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.