Members directory Plugin and categories Conflict

Hello, I'm having a strange problem with "membership directory plugin".

Using wpmu/wp 3.1 with Triden theme all updated to current.

Categories get "broken". I have permalinks set to "Month and name" and category base is "articles". when I activate the member plugin, the category archive pages become 404.

If I reset permalinks to "default" then categories come back, but then I get these errors:

members directory page - Members » Invalid User
Member not found.

and blog directory page - "Invalid page"

I tried this on another thread last week, but only got one response which was to switch the theme. But, that didn't work. any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

• Barry

Hi David,
    I dont have any plugins that touch permalinks ( at least not to my knowledge and not on purpose).

I did go through a process of disabling all and re-enabling plugins one at a time to determine it was "members directory". Then I tested that several times to be sure. I drilled it down as well as I could, including simply re-saving permalinks to see if that mattered, but it didn't.

If I set permalinks to "Default: /?p=123" , then categories work, but members and blogs directories produce the error.

If I set permalinks to "Month and name: /2011/04/sample-post/" , then members and blogs directories work correctly, but categories do not. These two behaviors are with the members directory enabled.

with permalinks at default and no category base, same behaviors as stated above. there seems to be no difference whether a custom category base is defined or not. also, the articles themselves can be accessed from the archives to their proper categories in the address bar, just not from their category headings, i.e "uncategorized".

Once members is disabled, site goes back to normal behavior and categories and custom base work fine. Weird, huh.

So, thanks for looking into this as I am all out of ideas as to where to even look. thanks!!!

• Barry

As the main site on a multisite, it should by default have that blog slug

That does not appear. It is "category" and I mean the word "category" then the rest of the link. i.e for the archive page... When default permalinks are set. And a post on the settings looks like

If month/name/ are set and the category base is set to articles, it is for the archive page and for each post

And many thanks if you can figure this out. You'll be worth your weight in "points"

• Mason

Hiya Barry,

As we haven't heard back from you we're going to assume the problem
    was sorted out and mark this ticket as resolved.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this
    thread please feel free to post them below and tick the 'Mark as Not
    Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, thanks for using the forums, and for being a member of WPMU
    DEV, it's a pleasure to help you out and we look forward to being of
    assistance in the future.