Members Directory requires /members/ subdirectory?

I've just installed Members Directory, and have two questions. First, I don't see links to related posts for users, even though I do have Post Indexer (and Comment Indexer) installed. I'm assuming it will populate the next time Post Indexer runs via cron. But a more basic question is that each member links to a user page in our multisite/members/ subdirectory...and that /members/ subdirectory doesn't exist. When/how would it have been created?

Thanks,

Jim P.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello there Jim,

Thanks for posting on the forums.

I see that you are using BuddyPress on your site. Unfortunatley it does not work with BuddyPress as BP has its own Directory of members.

If you view here : https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/members-directory/ its mentioned in the right sidebar under compatibility section. Anything that does not say BuddyPress is not compatible with BuddyPress.

I hope that info helps save some time :slight_smile:

Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers, PC

• Jim
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Okay, thanks for the clarification! Turns out I'm using BP on a pilot site, and plan to uninstall it anyway as I'm not entirely convinced that we need it, so Members Directory should work fine.

Regards,

Jim P.

• Jim

Update: now lists members, with link to their site on avatar and bio/website if provided in profile, but no summary of posts at bottom; this is one important feature that led me to install the plugin! See here. Hopefully we can get this addressed; thanks.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hey there @Jim

I'm jumping in here because @PC is off sick at the moment.

If you had BuddyPress and Members Directory active at the same time, it is highly likely that you had issues as both of them use a WordPress page with "members" as the default slug.

For the outstanding issue with post display, please check your network admin under Settings > Network Settings at the bottom of the page to ensure that "Profile: show posts" is set to "Yes".

• Jim

Yes, so let me bring things up to date: I'm no longer using BuddyPress; that stuff has been expunged from my multisite. Re. your recommendation, I don't see that setting in my network admin dashboard, but I do see "Profile: Show Friends"...could you please clarify? (That one is set to "yes," btw, and I'm using Members Directory v. 1.0.8.9.)

Many thanks,

Jim P.

• Jim

@Patrick, now that we're getting somewhere with Post Indexer, can we please look into this again? See my prev response: the problem is that I can't see a summary of posts at bottom of any members. The Members Directory plugin suggests that this requires Post Indexer, which of course I have.The plugin is not a huge use if it doesn't summarize posts below each member. How do you think we can make progress on it?

Note again that the plugin info says to turn Profile: Show Posts on, just as you recommended, but that setting is no longer available! All it shows is Profile: Show Friends.

Thanks for helping me with this one too...we'll get there yet...

Jim

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Jim,

As you mentioned this ties into into Post Indexer. So wanted to jump into this thread and see if we can somehow verify where the issue resides. I've not user Members Directory much if at all. So looking for specific example where you know there should be output then we can maybe look at the database.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Jim,

Best I can tell from the Members Directory coding it has not been updated to work with the Post Indexer 3.x version of the plugin. All the queries and logic appear only to consider the Post Indexer 2.x logic. So I've decided to do a quick patch on the plugin. Please find the link below for the new beta of Members Directory.

• Jim

Okay, installed stable version of Post Indexer and your 1.09 beta of Members Directory. Do I need to delete the current /members/ page and recreate it so that it also creates the /members/username pages? Currently the /members/ page seems fine, but all users' pages return a 404 error. I'd assume the individual users' pages are created dynamically, but maybe not. If this just takes awhile, I can wait and try again.

Jim

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Jim,

Currently the /members/ page seems fine, but all users' pages return a 404 error. I'd assume the individual users' pages are created dynamically, but maybe not. If this just takes awhile, I can wait and try again.

No those user pages are not real pages. I had similar issue on mine this morning. Try going to your main site wp-admin. Then to Settings > Permalinks and resave the permalinks. Then see if that makes the user pages start to show.

• Jim

Yup, this did it...great progress! Sure appreciate. We can (eventually, when we get time) handle minor formatting tweaks on output...this post summary functionality is exactly what we needed.

I too am curious: how is it that others aren't noticing these bugs? But you're fixing them fast...sure appreciate.

Jim

• Jim

One issue I just noticed (to file for when you have time to finalize Members Directory): I have Friends plugin installed as well, and the links to friends' directories links via their display name, I believe, not their username, so it returns an error...see e.g. my directory page here.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Jim,

I have Friends plugin installed as well, and the links to friends' directories links via their display name, I believe, not their username, so it returns an error...see e.g. my directory page

Ok. Will take a look. I was focusing on Post Indexer and not the Friends logic. I'm sure it also needs updating as I know Friends has changed.

• Jim

Oops, the other issue (this cascading set of plugin bugs!) is that the Friends displayed on my page in Members Directory is not the same as the Friends displayed on my user page dashboard under Friends! So, I suspect Friends plugin requires attention, possibly for the issue of my last post as well?

Jim

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Jim,

is that the Friends displayed on my page in Members Directory is not the same as the Friends displayed on my user page dashboard under Friends!

Ok. Well obviously I can see the front-end members page. But not the backend Friends page. Can you provide screenshot, listing, something to compare?

• Jim

Right, sorry about that...and my bad, I'm incorrect in the Friends display disparity...I was logged in as multisite admin and the site understandably got confused, even though I was looking in the Friends section of my (regular user) dashboard...so no worries on that one anymore, just the display name vs. username in link issue...

Jim

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey there Jim,

Thanks for confirming that. Glad to help !

Sorry for the delay in response as I was away due to bad health and could not get back to this any sooner. Please accept my apologies for the uninformed delay and any inconvenience it may have caused.

Cheers, PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.