Members Members Directory profile display

Hi,

This is a non-buddypress site using the Membership Directory plugin. I'm using the membership directory as advertisements for the members, there are no member posts etc. just the bio.

Is there some way I can get the Membership Directory to display SOME of the member profile b4 clicking on the members name to view it?
I would like to limit the length of the bio displayed.

It would also be good to be able to extend the user profile by adding fields like I can with BuddyPress.

It also seems that the Search provided is only for the member names, not the content of the user profiles. Can I change this?

Maybe I'm going down the wrong path to accomplish this.

Larry

• Philip John

Hiya Larry,

This plugin is a fairly simple one aimed at just providing a list. It simply pulls out the members and displays the names, keeping the overhead to a minimum.

It would be possible to do what you ask and that would require modifying the plugin itself by adding a second database query into the members_directory_output() function which pulled the user meta data out as well as the basic details it already gets.

That's not something I can really go into detail on here but if you have the skills or a developer at your disposal that should give you a starting block.

Cheers,
    Phil

• tishimself

Hi,

So if I was to make such a coding change to pull those fields would it change the Search scope?

Maybe the Blogs Directory plugin will provide a similar challenge and I will need it too.

I'm trying to use these two plugins rather than incur the overhead of BuddyPress. I certainly don't need all of the BuddyPress functionality for this site.

Decisions, decisions. I can devote the time and effort in hopes of developing the fucntionality I need, add overhead to these plugins and end up with code I need to support, or I can use BuddyPress, disable as much as I can, accept the overhead of Buddypress which may be reduced with V1.5 and not have developed code I need to support.

I think I will try using BuddyPress and see how it works out. If the overhead (including costly VPS memory) is too high, I can come back to try developing the code. I think I can get the site working more quickly this way even tho the overhead will most likely be higher.

Thanks,
    Larry

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.