Members that do not pay on signup are no longer able to reregister

Hi

I am finding that members are visiting my site and start the registration process but click away when it asks for paypal.
When a user then tries to re register it just states that that account is inactive.

If I manually delete the user its ok and they can re register but thats not practical as they are more than likley to try re registering immediatly.

Does anyone have any suggestions to overcome this and stop the registration completly if the user navigates away?

Kind regards
Mark

• aristath

Hello there Mark, I hope you're well today!

The Membership plugin handles permissions and access rules for your already existing members.
    When a user registers on your site, they first have to create a WordPress account on your site and then Membership takes over.
    If for some reason they do not complete the standard registration process (for example they don't verify their email address when they get the confirmation email from your WordPress site) then their account is never activated and thus the process can't continue.
    In other words, I believe the issue in this case is unconfirmed accounts.
    Can you test creating a test account on your site and see what happens?

Cheers,
    Ari.

• mark_bonito

Hi Ari

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I have created a test account and I am first prompted to chose a subscription. Then I fill out the registration details and the final screen is the pay with paypal page.
    I click away from the site at this point.

When I try to re register with that address I am told the email is already in use. When I try to log in with that email address it says the account is inactive.

Users are forced to re register with a different email which is not practical for my niche.

I think the problem is as you stated

The Membership plugin handles permissions and access rules for your already existing members.
    When a user registers on your site, they first have to create a WordPress account on your site and then Membership takes over.

I think I will need to look at changing a few things so that a member can still register and add subscription afterwards.

I will have a play :slight_smile:

Thanks
    Mark

• mark_bonito

The reason members were being deactivated on signup was because of a line I put in my config file. I have now taken that out and members are able to sign up and select membership at a later time or when they try to view the protected content.

This is all good but my multisite consists of two site. First site and main registration site is a buddypress site with membership plugin.
    The second site has the membership plugin disabled. It is a auction house and only logged in members can bid buy and post.

By allowing members to login and not yet pay it messes up this feature of my site and means members can signup not pay and find they can buy and sell.

If I enable the membership plugin I would then have to setup a new subscription plan seperate to the first sites subscription right?

I only want my members to pay once and have full access to the site.

There are 3 URLs that I need blocking and if I can block these 3 from not subscription members then Im all good.

Any thoughts on that? I apprecieate the help.

Kind regards
    Mark

• mark_bonito

define('MEMBERSHIP_DEACTIVATE_USER_ON_REGISTRATION', true);

This code is great for making the user not be able to access the site unless paying but the site still logs the registration although marks it as "inactive" so the user can no longer use this email unless admin manually delete or add subscription.

is there a bit of code like this that cancels the registration process if they do not apply a subscription?

Kind regards
    Mark

• mark_bonito

Hi Ari

the trouble is that it is inviting for members to see the stock before signing up. Site 2 needs members to be logged in to buy and sell.

Is there a way to link the membership plugin with site 1 and 2? So that if a member has a subscription via site 1 and visits site 2 they do not have to re subscribe?

Or so that site 2 can see that the member has a subscription via site 1 and grants certain permissions? These need to be different to visitor permissions so that the site can let logged in but unsubscribed users view but not buy and sell. Users with a subscription via site 1 can have different permissions and buy and sell on site 2.

This is hard to explain, am I making sense?

• aristath

the trouble is that it is inviting for members to see the stock before signing up. Site 2 needs members to be logged in to buy and sell.

Then why don't you change the text so that it doesn't invite members to see the stock?

Is there a way to link the membership plugin with site 1 and 2? So that if a member has a subscription via site 1 and visits site 2 they do not have to re subscribe?

I'm afraid that no, Membership doesn't work like that on multisites...

You could simply allow users to register on your site normally (without deactivating the users account) and ONLY allow paid members to see the actual content of your site by protecting well... everything! This way, when a user tries to access something, they will automatically simply get the signup form.

Cheers,
    Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.